Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. VII | Enjoys: Being Mr. Everything, pronouncing it "Peter-son"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
in a concussion protocol you need a certain number of symptom clear days (plus other things) to move forward to the next stage. the clock for that resets with a recurrence of symptoms.

i don't actually know the nhl concussion protocol so i could be mistaken. i am familiar with applying them for teen amateur athletes. those are probably more conservative than the nhl because i imagine nhl teams have quick access to neurologists and more sophisticated testing and assessment.

Unfortunately you assume wrong :(

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
in a concussion protocol you need a certain number of symptom clear days (plus other things) to move forward to the next stage. the clock for that resets with a recurrence of symptoms.

i don't actually know the nhl concussion protocol so i could be mistaken. i am familiar with applying them for teen amateur athletes. those are probably more conservative than the nhl because i imagine nhl teams have quick access to neurologists and more sophisticated testing and assessment.

I think it is unique to each situation but the protocol seemed to imply the Consulting Neuropsychologist is not brought in until after the patient has gone through the stages and is ready to return to play. Of course nothing would prevent the team from bringing in the CN earlier.

From the 2016/2017 Protocol (latest I could find, not sure how much changed since then):

VI. MANAGEMENT OF CONCUSSION Concussion symptoms might develop immediately after a blow to the head or body; or they might evolve over time (hours or days). Consequently, Players diagnosed with a concussion, and those who are suspected of having a concussion, should be monitored and evaluated over time. Players who are diagnosed with a concussion should undergo an initial period of rest until symptoms have subsided to the point where activity can be gradually introduced without significantly exacerbating symptoms or provoking new symptoms. Players shall then proceed through a graded progression of activity (see Zurich II Consensus Statement). However, each Player’s concussion shall be managed on an individualized basis; there is no particular program of graded progression, nor is there a minimum period of time for progression from one step to the next in the graded exercise progression.

VII. POST-CONCUSSION NEUROPSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION Once a Player diagnosed with concussion is determined by the Club Physician to be free of concussion-related symptoms at rest and upon exertion, he shall be referred to the Club’s Consulting Neuropsychologist (or, if on the road, a Consulting Neuropsychologist from another team) for a post-concussion evaluation. This evaluation shall occur prior to the Player engaging in an unrestricted practice (wearing a regular colored jersey) or game. The Club’s Consulting Neuropsychologist’s post-injury evaluation shall consist of ImPACT and the NHL Paper and Pencil neuropsychological test battery. In order to facilitate this evaluation, Club Consulting Neuropsychologists should be advised as soon as a Player is diagnosed with a concussion. Club Consulting Neuropsychologists should be provided with baseline and post-injury X2 app data and narratives/reports of the acute medical evaluation, as well as subsequent symptom tracking for review as part of the post-injury assessment. A Club Physician may request a neuropsychological evaluation prior to full symptom resolution only when compelling clinical reasons exist for doing so (e.g., prolonged recovery, complex clinical presentation). Once complete, the Club Consulting Neuropsychologist shall convey the results of the evaluation to the Club Physician or Club Athletic Trainer (preferably both). Although neuropsychological test data are very useful in assessing the neurocognitive sequelae of concussion, they should not be used in isolation to make the diagnosis of concussion or as the sole determinant for return to play.

VIII. RETURN TO PLAY A Player who is diagnosed with a concussion shall not return to practice or a game on the same day that the event occurred, irrespective of how quickly his symptoms resolve. A Player may return to unrestricted play at a time later than the day the event occurred if the following three circumstances have occurred: (1) there is complete recovery of concussion-related symptoms at rest; (2) there is no emergence of concussion-related symptoms at exertion levels required for competitive play; and (3) the player has been judged by the Club’s Physician to have returned to his neurocognitive baseline following an evaluation by the Club consulting neuropsychologist. There is no mandatory period of time that a Player must be withheld from play following a concussion, as the return to play decision is based on the individual circumstances of that Player. The Club Physician remains solely responsible for making return to play decisions based on these parameters, including in circumstances where the Player is referred to a consultant for management and treatment. Prior to making the return to play decision, the Club Physician shall ensure that all aspects of the Protocol have been satisfied, including referral for neuropsychological assessment.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Curious what you guys think his offensive upside is points wise? Have him in my keeper league and all the Canucks fans are swarming

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Curious what you guys think his offensive upside is points wise? Have him in my keeper league and all the Canucks fans are swarming

This year, if he is not hampered by injuries (knock on wood) I think he could be a ppg player. His 8 points in his first 5 games were no fluke.

Offensive upside at the peak of his career? It's hard to predict these things. He appears very driven to improve and address any flaws in his game. He looks twice as good as the Sedins did in their rookie years, and they ended up winning Art Ross trophies. Their career arc was unusual, but Pettersson doesn't need to improve nearly as much as they did to reach that elite level. I predict that if injuries don't hamper him, Pettersson could end up with multiple 100p seasons as one of the elite offensive players in the league.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
He reminds a lot of people Datsyuk because not only he has tremendous vision and skills, he’s also really good defensively. Nice stick work and always at the right position

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016

Best to step cautiously with providing information in Pete's thread. 'Some' will take it as a medical diagnosis and get pissed if you suggest it might damper his chance for the Calder

personally, a thumbs up from me for posting this

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Depends on the scoring trends in the NHL, but this guy has Sedin potential. Henrik and Daniel had insane chemistry but I don't think it's because of their childhoods playing together, Burrows fit in pretty snug on that line as well. There is no reason we cant find someone who just gels with Pettersson.

He has more raw skill than Sedin, and he sees the ice pretty well, but wow did the Sedins ever protect the puck well despite the weight they played at. If Pettersson can play at 185 and be as solid on his skates as Henrik he'll be an insane player and might not have as short of a peak as Henrik did.

If things work out he can be a 100+ pt player, and I'm a guy who is jaded as f*** when it comes to prospects. This guy is just insane and hasn't missed a beat in his transition to the NHL even if it's only been for a few games. It just feels different than when a guy like McCann comes in and looks good before cooling down, he is straight up embarrassing veteran players.

I love watching elite playmakers more than elite scorers. Ovechkin is a hell of a player and super fun to watch, but watching the plays develop on the ice with the puck on Sedin's stick is some special stuff and I'm so happy Pettersson has the potential to be such a smart player. We need a Burrows and some other skill guy for a pretty sweet line. Not to get into a drafting argument but I wonder what Tkachuk would look like on Pettersson's wing.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Depends on the scoring trends in the NHL, but this guy has Sedin potential. Henrik and Daniel had insane chemistry but I don't think it's because of their childhoods playing together, Burrows fit in pretty snug on that line as well. There is no reason we cant find someone who just gels with Pettersson.

I know it's a small sample size but it seemed like Goldy and Elias had some pretty good chemistry on and off the ice.

Dahlen-Pettersson-Goldobin somewhere down the road?

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I know it's a small sample size but it seemed like Goldy and Elias had some pretty good chemistry on and off the ice.

Boeser is a pretty obvious future linemate. Though I think maybe it is better to have lesser players with him so he can be the leader to start.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Cool thanks guys.
I had him as the #1 draft pick in that draft and picked him up for free last year in my keeper but haven’t had a chance to watch him this year other than the mugging.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Cool thanks guys.
I had him as the #1 draft pick in that draft and picked him up for free last year in my keeper but haven’t had a chance to watch him this year other than the mugging.

He will pick up many points as before his injury he was starting to get the most ice time on the team.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Yeah I had high hopes for Goldobin this season to break out. He seems like a guy who is willing to put the work in and he has the skill. I never thought he was lazy defensively like Leipsic, just not very good and he's improving I think. Who knows how Dahlen will even progress though, he might make it and not even have as good chemistry with Pettersson as some other guy

Also I think Goldy is a LW, Boeser seems more likely

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah I had high hopes for Goldobin this season to break out. He seems like a guy who is willing to put the work in and he has the skill. I never thought he was lazy defensively like Leipsic, just not very good and he's improving I think.

I actually didn't have high hopes but I am so glad that Goldobin got a chance to show what he can do alongside Pettersson. Green seems to have a greater trust in him this season.

I think with Goldy, it's not so much that he is lazy as much as he is disinterested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->