Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. VII | Enjoys: Being Mr. Everything, pronouncing it "Peter-son"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
You dont have to prounounce EP 100% correctly, even with full anglosaxon accent, I highly doubt Elias himself have a problem with that!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dala and Zombotron

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
When I talked with Gradin in whistler he said he personally didn't want pettersson to play wing because of the board play required, and it wouldn't help his creativity.
He wanted a winger to take a hit to make a play to Pettersson
Not Pettersson take a hit to make a play to a center

Seems like he was right. It's fun watching skate all over the middle of ice. Plus his goal was just that. A winger taking a hit (Goldobin I think).

Reactions: Grub

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Funny, I went through it and thought most people were fairly ok with the pick. Some super excited, most saying Pettersson wasn’t their top pick but he was an intriguing pick. A couple did freak out, one quite emphatically.

Not as bad as you’re suggesting.
The draft thread and early in the first Elias thread there were quite a few losing their marbles over the pick. Most wanted Vilardi or Glass, Pettersson was an afterthought for some and a don't pick at all costs for some others.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Can anyone quote reasonable posters with a track record of good opinions getting upset over the pick? I.e. not pauser

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Not each year's draft thread, but somewhat related: And fun to read....

Past 'So you think you can draft' threads...

2017 : https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/so-you-think-you-can-draft-2017.2362459/
2016: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/so-you-think-you-can-draft.2096419/
2015: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/so-you-think-you-can-draft-2015-edition.1918531/
2014: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/so-you-think-you-can-draft-2014-edition.1698575/
2013: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/so-you-think-you-can-draft-2013.1460609/

I guess its the nature of these thread to disagree.. but the majority were against every 1st rounder we selected... till this year (Hughes).

Reactions: Canucks1096

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I remember Lucbourdon wanting nothing to do with Glass
I remember Canafan wanting nothing to do with pettersson
I personally wanted nothing to do with Vilardi.

I also remembering a massive hard on for Cale Makar by a small contingent

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

This is why I always ask people for quotes, because their “remembering” is usually shit.

Literally my first post in the Pettersson draft thread (page 8):

Was not my top pick but I am not unhappy with the choice. Skill and vision for days, just have to be patient and hope his strength and weight comes in time and that his game translates well to the NHL size rinks.

Fine with the pick and relieved we didn't draft Liljegren or Rasmussen. But think I would have been happier with Glass or Mitts.

Ya, I “wanted nothing to do with Pettersson”. Good job.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario

Kurt Russell was the guy who genuinely disliked Elias.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Very exciting to see how he progresses and matures as an NHL pro. People already calling him a superstar. I can't wait until he becomes a man, both mentally and physically. He could be the player we've never had here.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I had no strong opinion on Pettersson at the time of the draft because I'd seen him play once and honestly couldn't even remember him from that game. His numbers obviously looked good and I was ok with the pick as a result but without really watching him, it was damned hard to have a strong opinion.

Vilardi I'd seen play 7 or 8 times and was utterly convinced would be a top-line NHL player.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I had Vilardi, Pettersson/Glass in that range. Vilradi was my guy, wasn't expecting him to be there. Saw Pettersson as the high skill gamble and Glass as the 'safer' skill guy. Would have be happy with any. Pettersson so far has beyond met my expectations. Still trying to not get excited.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
just watched TSN's assessment and craig button's, i have never seen so much hype over a player not drafted in the top 2 in his year. The Canucks should have a simple rule; anyone gives him a dirty shot the team descends on that player and damn near kills him.

Reactions: PredsForPresidents

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Didn’t Elias himself say it was pronounced that way this past summer?

pet.jpg
+ e (hard e/eh) + schon

Pet-e-schon

Reactions: lindgren

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Pet-er-Son, er like first syllable of error. Pet like above. Son like... Son. :)
Poster above nailed the southern Swede version where r:s aren't pronounced though. :-D

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
When I talked with Gradin in whistler he said he personally didn't want pettersson to play wing because of the board play required, and it wouldn't help his creativity.
He wanted a winger to take a hit to make a play to Pettersson
Not Pettersson take a hit to make a play to a center

Seems like he was right. It's fun watching skate all over the middle of ice. Plus his goal was just that. A winger taking a hit (Goldobin I think).

Yep. The exact thing that Gradin told you about happened on EP’s first goal :)

Reactions: lindgren

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Pet-er-Son, er like first syllable of error. Pet like above. Son like... Son. :)
Poster above nailed the southern Swede version where r:s aren't pronounced though. :-D

Now that's insulting, I'm from Stockholm too :D

There is a slight r in there but it nothing you really hear when you speak it out loud because it's so fast. I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce it with son like in Jonsson or Johansson for example. The two S's is like sch when you're shushing someone with a simple on in the end.

Like this:

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Yes Petter, is like Pet, not like Peat. Then what follows is like you do not know what to say: "Erh". and finally, son.

Many native English speakers around hfboards get confused by the double S in Swedish son names and sometimes compensate with doubling another letter in the name att random. It is simple a genetive S which English could have as well (Petter's son in this case).

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
pet.jpg
+ e (hard e/eh) + schon

Pet-e-schon

I know Peet ur sun isn’t the Swedish pronounciation, I just thought it was funny that someone suggested it was bad to pronounce it as such and yet EP himself disagreed

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I know Peet ur sun isn’t the Swedish pronounciation, I just thought it was funny that someone suggested it was bad to pronounce it as such and yet EP himself disagreed

Yeah American(sorry Canadian) pronunciation is totally fine. Just stick with it unless you are a total geek that wants every thing correct ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad