Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Petterson is showing the signs of truly becoming ultra elite. He hasn’t been fantastic in the last few games but he still finds ways to produce.
For sure. Talented as hell? Check. Humble? Check. Mature for his age? Check. Taking responsibility for his career and team success? Check. This guy already understands the grind and embraces it. He also understands his role and that he has the confidence to want to be a difference maker every night. When it comes to the grind, some players never get it, especially the talented ones, but he understands it completely. He has also been raised to not let his success go to his head (a VERY Swedish thing, especially in the north), he has both feet on the ground. I also think his size has something to do with it, he knows he can't relax and think he's on the top of the world.

Like he himself said, he wasn't that good at shooting the puck in all situations, so he practiced that, a lot. Repetition, repetition, repetition. Many talents get sick and tired of repetition, Pettersson doesn't. It looks very promising for Vancouver.

For the record - I've already eaten crow for it, but I'll repeat it - I was one of the people saying he needed to gain more weight, but he shut me up very quickly. The background is I didn't watch a lot of SHL games. I knew Pettersson was very talented, but seeing him get manhandled during the WHC made me question how he could be productive in the NHL, when he got manhandled by French defensemen and whatnot. To quote myself: "He looks like a mitten in an autumn storm." Boy, was I wrong.

What I missed was, the tempo is much higher in the NHL and all players have much less time to react to a situation, sure. But, the higher tempo is only a benefit to Pettersson, that's a bigger advantage than the disadvantage of the smaller rink size. Mind you, this is a big problem for almost all lightweight, skilled Euro players, before they gain weight and are smart and skilled enough to adapt. Not Pettersson

He immediately improved his game changing enviroment (WTH)! That's very special. It's also very possible he didn't play up to his potential and was tired. He's also said on record he loves playing with and against more talented players all over (especially playing with them).

But even if he's a fan of putting in a ton of work to practice, it's still remarkable he went from having a mediocre slap shot and quick release, to become amazing at it, in two years. His technique is perfect. He's not the biggest guy, but to be able to shoot at basically 100 mph is very impressive. Then add the accuracy. I should shut up now, I can't stop raving about this guy. The sky is the ceiling for him.

Näslund? Meh. The Sedins? Meh. Sure, All-Stars and legends that I truly respect and miss, but Pettersson? I'm having a cardiac arrest watching this guy develop. He pretty much single handedly makes me into a Canuck fan and you're basically as far away from me as possible in time zones. Every morning I wake up, the first thing I do is check if the Canucks played last night and I'm a big anti-NHL guy. Still doesn't stop me from loving hockey though.

Last edited:

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Watched almost every game of his in the SHL last year, would wake up in the morning and watch his games eating breakfast, finishing the games and just being left speechless with the things he did.

He's somehow even more impressive in the NHL, like it's his playground. Second five-point game came in 13 minutes...... his Datsyuk like dekes, his ability to create space, his god-like hockey IQ, his majestic feel on the ice, his out of your seat slap shot goals.

At this young age only Kane, McDavid, Matthews, and Pettersson have looked this dominant since Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin.

Pettersson is putting up these numbers with literally no offensive d-men to speak of on the team. I can only imagine the numbers guys like him, Boeser, and Horvat will put up when Hughes and Juolevi are on the team.

Elias Pettersson for me is the 2nd best young talent going forward after McDavid.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Watched almost every game of his in the SHL last year, would wake up in the morning and watch his games eating breakfast, finishing the games and just being left speechless with the things he did.

He's somehow even more impressive in the NHL, like it's his playground. Second five-point game came in 13 minutes...... his Datsyuk like dekes, his ability to create space, his god-like hockey IQ, his majestic feel on the ice, his out of your seat slap shot goals.

At this young age only Kane, McDavid, Matthews, and Pettersson have looked this dominant since Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin.

Pettersson is putting up these numbers with literally no offensive d-men to speak of on the team. I can only imagine the numbers guys like him, Boeser, and Horvat will put up when Hughes and Juolevi are on the team.

Elias Pettersson for me is the 2nd best young talent going forward after McDavid.

Agreed.

IMO, the thing with the other great talents (Matthews, Eichel, Laine) is they look to score each period.

McDavid and EP look to score each shift. It's wired into them non-stop.

Reactions: PredsForPresidents

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC

I liked his interview where he said one of the players he looked up to was Datsyuk. Aren't many better offensive players who can take care of the puck on both sides of the ice. Pretty sure he's faster as well than Datsyuk was.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
That's the really weird part, how smooth the transitions have been, like he's moving down instead of up. He's made Allsvenskan look easier than J20, the SHL easier than Allsvenskan, and at times even the NHL easier than the SHL.
This is why he has had people, including the Great One himself, say he reminds them of Gretzky. He is thinking the game at such a high level. It is actually uncanny.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I liked his interview where he said one of the players he looked up to was Datsyuk. Aren't many better offensive players who can take care of the puck on both sides of the ice. Pretty sure he's faster as well than Datsyuk was.
And Pettersson can rip it like Datsyuk could only wish that he would've been able to. There's also that.

But ok, let's calm ourselves, he only looks absolutely amazing. I will sacrifice some beads to the trolls tonight in a burning ceremony and hope he doesn't have serious setbacks in his development (like the civilization ending, serious injury and whatnot).
This is why he has had people, including the Great One himself, say he reminds them of Gretzky. He is thinking the game at such a high level. It is actually uncanny.
While that is an honour, Gretzky has praised everyone and his mother in this league, from the janitor to the zamboni driver for being incredible in their capacity. Gretzky's integrity to be some kind of expert, to set some sort of standard for evaluating player quality is kind of terrible. Look how vague I am speaking about him, when he's frankly crap at having some sort of scale in his compliments. He's like a HF poster. Still, he was praised by Gretzky, for looking similar to him, I think that's a new one, so there's that. But that it's coming from Gretzky at this point, doesn't feel that special. I think Gretzky has even praised Yannic Perreault at this point when asked about players, kind of. I mean, who hasn't he praised to the moon when he is asked about someone?

I rather take speechless, opposing commentators when it comes to evaluating Pettersson, than Gretzky, because they watch a lot of hockey and take it seriously and don't feel they're some kind of ambassador for hockey when they speak.

I still think Gretzky is correct, for the record, lol.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
And Pettersson can rip it like Datsyuk could only wish that he would've been able to. There's also that.

But ok, let's calm ourselves, he only looks absolutely amazing. I will sacrifice some beads to the trolls tonight in a burning ceremony and hope he doesn't have serious setbacks in his development (like the civilization ending, serious injury and whatnot).

While that is an honour, Gretzky has praised everyone and his mother in this league, from the janitor to the zamboni driver for being incredible in their capacity. Gretzky's integrity to be some kind of expert, to set some sort of standard for evaluating player quality is kind of terrible. Look how vague I am speaking about him, when he's frankly crap at having some sort of scale in his compliments. He's like a HF poster. Still, he was praised by Gretzky, for looking similar to him, I think that's a new one, so there's that. But that it's coming from Gretzky at this point, doesn't feel that special. I think Gretzky has even praised Yannic Perreault at this point when asked about players, kind of. I mean, who hasn't he praised to the moon when he is asked about someone?

I rather take speechless, opposing commentators when it comes to evaluating Pettersson, than Gretzky, because they watch a lot of hockey and take it seriously and don't feel they're some kind of ambassador for hockey when they speak.

I still think Gretzky is correct, for the record, lol.

To add to that, Gretzky was specifically asked about Pettersson and if he reminded him of himself. Gretzky isn't the kind of guy to say no to that type of question, he's far too diplomatic. He's going to think of parts of the game where there's some similarities to bring up in his answer. And to be honest it seemed a bit like he hadn't really seen that much of him and was just going on what he heard. Now, if he brought it up unprompted to non-Vancouver media, then it might hold a bit more weight.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Avatar bet with giraffe sandwich I believe.

I haven't seen him around for quite some time now.

I think we should sticky a dedicated thread and everybody here can post their greatest creations and hold a vote.

I'd be down for that!
But what were the criteria that have been met? Number of points by a certain number of games? (Again, where the heck is it in those links? :laugh:)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
But what were the criteria that have been met? Number of points by a certain number of games? (Again, where the heck is it in those links? :laugh:)

He said Elias Pettersson wouldn't play 25 games in the nhl. When challenged, he back peddled to make the bet "by his d+2." then bragged about how he pulled a fast one on his challenger. But still wouldn't bet anything more than his avatar.

This was all before Pettersson was drafted as well.

Fairweather posted the links up thread. Good on Jack to own up to it.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
man oh man oh man, it just hit me that this kid reminds me of the young quebec sakic. except he's more confident and handles the puck way more, like the mature sakic. he's obviously not as good as the later sakic (yet), isn't in the same universe on his own side of the puck, overhandles and avoids traffic too overtly, but the shiftiness, the incredible technique and positioning, the wrist shot of course, i want to take #19 down from the rafters and put it on ELP's back.

s-l300.jpg

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
man oh man oh man, it just hit me that this kid reminds me of the young quebec sakic. except he's more confident and handles the puck way more, like the mature sakic. he's obviously not as good as the later sakic (yet), isn't in the same universe on his own side of the puck, overhandles and avoids traffic too overtly, but the shiftiness, the incredible technique and positioning, the wrist shot of course, i want to take #19 down from the rafters and put it on ELP's back.

s-l300.jpg
I think we can all agree , if you want an unpolished rookie diamond, you cannot be dissatisfied with Pettersson. Everyone who've watched him can see he's special. How special? Potentially unique. Even in bad games, he's never invisible and awes you sometimes and in good games, the opposing team has a serious problem. And they can never relax in their attention to him getting the puck. That's a happy Boeser.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
I have been a Canucks fan back to the 82 cup run and can tell you watching this player develop is the most hope I have had yet we may actually win a Stanley cup. Winning in the playoffs you need a difference maker like Crosby, Kane, Ovie etc...and we have that in EP40.

Watching him juggle balls while riding a unicycle...wow. Incredible example of skill, hard work and determination.

Can’t wait to find out what else he can do

Reactions: lawrence and Chimp

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I have been a Canucks fan back to the 82 cup run and can tell you watching this player develop is the most hope I have had yet we may actually win a Stanley cup. Winning in the playoffs you need a difference maker like Crosby, Kane, Ovie etc...and we have that in EP40.

Watching him juggle balls while riding a unicycle...wow. Incredible example of skill, hard work and determination.

Can’t wait to find out what else he can do
Exactly. Those peculiar details help to get a good picture of his determination. Many NHL goalies juggle three balls, or tape rings, to practice their dexterity, eye tracking, reaction time and arm control. Then imagine Petey passing by, doing the same on a frigging unicycle. He should include a clown horn to honk, when he passes Markström or Nilsson juggling.

The whole team should learn to juggle while riding a unicycle btw. It's better pre-game than ping pong, goofing around with a football or listening to music, that's for sure. But it might be a little chaotic at first.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
The legendary 70 year old Swedish scout Inge Hammarström... he persuaded Flyers to pick Peter Forsberg and Canucks to pick Elias Pettersson. You would have to translate this article from Swedish to English using google translator. ;-)
Valde ”Foppa” – nu låg han bakom nya succén

I think this was cool about Forsberg when Inge was being pushed by Flyers management at a dinner:
His manager in Flyers stating: "Peter is not very big"
Inge Hammarström: "No, but he can play big hockey"

This is also amazing while Inge was working for Flyers:

"the year before we took Forsberg, I wanted us to take a young guy from then Czechoslovakia, Jaromir Jagr. But Flyers went after another player instead, Mike Ricci. Imagine if Flyers had both Peter and Jagr in the same team, Inge Hammarström laughing"

Inge Hammarström sluar som scout efter 35 år

Hmmm, you better listen to Inge or it will cost you a cup or two? ;-)

Last edited:

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Pettersson and Horvat should play on the same line. Am I the only one seeing what difference that would make? None of them can currently maximise their game cause they have noone to play ball with (while Boeser being this inconsistent).

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Pettersson and Horvat should play on the same line. Am I the only one seeing what difference that would make? None of them can currently maximise their game cause they have noone to play ball with (while Boeser being this inconsistent).

I think it makes more sense to spread them out and let them each carry a line. You also would have to put one of them (Pettersson) on the wing. EP being able to hold down a center ice position like he has is a major development for this organization so they should keep developing him there.

I prefer the Penguins approach where they play apart 5 on 5 but get to team up on the first PP unit.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Petterson has been far less noticeable lately , maybe the schedule catching up. Regardless .. he’s stil contributing and picking up key points. The Christmas break will be good for him.

Reactions: TruKnyte

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
None of them can currently maximise their game cause they have noone to play ball with (while Boeser being this inconsistent).
I like EP and Bo down the middle. Green keeps adjusting the wingers to line match, but I like 1 skilled line and 1 skilled line with some grit and size:

Goldie/EP/Boeser
Leivo/Bo/JV

I had to rub my eyes a couple times last game...who is that #21 on our 2nd line? Is that LOUI ERIKSSON?....come on Green!

Eriksson/Gaudette/Rousel ("rooster") for 3rd (or throw in Beagle at C either or).

E40

Nov 18, 2018
Kinda tempted to see Bo and Petey on the same line as well, if only to see them rewarded with the points I feel their due. But keeping them driving lines on their own should pay off better in the long run. Boeser should get over his ales eventually right, then next season Bo should have some new talent whether we luck out through free agency or the draft, then boom two legit lines not just two legit top liners.

Here's hoping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad