Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Petterson has been far less noticeable lately , maybe the schedule catching up. Regardless .. he’s stil contributing and picking up key points. The Christmas break will be good for him.

Yea, the NHL schedule has more games than he's used to playing. I don't have any worries though about him acclimating to it over time, the rest over the break should be good for Pettersson though.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
The most dangerous player on the team is Elias Pettersson, he’s an elite playmaker and elite sniper. He desperately needs wingers that retrieve and feed him the puck at all times. Boeser cannot do this, he’s a floater that can snipe and needs to be fed the puck, Brock is better with possession heavy players that forecheck hard and feed him in the slot, that’s why Bo & Brock mesh well together. There’s not many players the Canucks have that can forecheck and make plays besides Horvat. Goldobin is a terrific stick handler and passer, he is the only one that has fed Pettersson with some nice passes 5 on 5 in high danger areas (give and goes) but he cannot forecheck or backcheck effectively. Boeser is better off playing with Horvat; Pettersson needs some elite playmaking wingers to unleash his true potential (45+ goal, 100+ point seasons).

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Kid is costing us Jack Hughes. Think about it. Had we picked Glass and he went back to Junior we would most likely finish dead last and have the best chance at Hughes. Then next year had both Hughes brothers and Glass step in as elite players. No foresight with this team
Pip no offense but this has to be your worst post EVER. You may not care that coming from me but by your logic why not just pick the lesser player every draft??

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Kid is costing us Jack Hughes. Think about it. Had we picked Glass and he went back to Junior we would most likely finish dead last and have the best chance at Hughes. Then next year had both Hughes brothers and Glass step in as elite players. No foresight with this team

I honestly can't tell if this is a troll post or not...

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
The most dangerous player on the team is Elias Pettersson, he’s an elite playmaker and elite sniper. He desperately needs wingers that retrieve and feed him the puck at all times. Boeser cannot do this, he’s a floater that can snipe and needs to be fed the puck, Brock is better with possession heavy players that forecheck hard and feed him in the slot, that’s why Bo & Brock mesh well together. There’s not many players the Canucks have that can forecheck and make plays besides Horvat. Goldobin is a terrific stick handler and passer, he is the only one that has fed Pettersson with some nice passes 5 on 5 in high danger areas (give and goes) but he cannot forecheck or backcheck effectively. Boeser is better off playing with Horvat; Pettersson needs some elite playmaking wingers to unleash his true potential (45+ goal, 100+ point seasons).

Absolutely this. People underrestamate the importance of quality teammates (not only linemates but playmaking Ds as welll). I’ve seen games where Pettersson basically only got the puck under control when he intercepted or stole it from the opposing team himself. What EP has done in this invironment as a rookie is nothing short of sensational. Had he played between Rantanen and Landeskog and had one legit puck carrying D on the team he’d score 100 points already as a rookie, an I mean it.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
I don't hate Boeser with Pettersson, but I think Boeser likes to hang out and wait for the puck to come to him a little too much to be playing with Pettersson. They obviously are fantastic on the Powerplay together, but I think Boeser and Horvat have a better system of Horvat being able to enter the zone, forecheck, and have the talent to get a pass off to Boeser.

Pettersson although also a fantastic shooter, seems to get more done off the rush than Boeser does. I like Goldobin with Pettersson just because Goldy can find him with those sweet soft hands better than anyone else on the team.

I'd do

Leivo-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Pettersson-Goldobin
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

To maximize what each of our players brings to the table

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I don't hate Boeser with Pettersson, but I think Boeser likes to hang out and wait for the puck to come to him a little too much to be playing with Pettersson. They obviously are fantastic on the Powerplay together, but I think Boeser and Horvat have a better system of Horvat being able to enter the zone, forecheck, and have the talent to get a pass off to Boeser.

Pettersson although also a fantastic shooter, seems to get more done off the rush than Boeser does. I like Goldobin with Pettersson just because Goldy can find him with those sweet soft hands better than anyone else on the team.

I'd do

Leivo-Horvat-Boeser
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

To maximize what each of our players brings to the table
I think is a good plan, PLUS Baertchi is creative and good on the rush like Peetey and Goldobin

Reactions: WestCoast CyberG

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
hey guys, devils fan coming in peace. i’m trying to prove a point after a mind numbing conversation with the geniuses on the devils board. would any of you trade pettersson for nico hischier one for one? you guys wouldn’t be that stupid, right?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The legendary 70 year old Swedish scout Inge Hammarström... he persuaded Flyers to pick Peter Forsberg and Canucks to pick Elias Pettersson. You would have to translate this article from Swedish to English using google translator. ;-)
Valde ”Foppa” – nu låg han bakom nya succén

I think this was cool about Forsberg when Inge was being pushed by Flyers management at a dinner:
His manager in Flyers stating: "Peter is not very big"
Inge Hammarström: "No, but he can play big hockey"

This is also amazing while Inge was working for Flyers:

"the year before we took Forsberg, I wanted us to take a young guy from then Czechoslovakia, Jaromir Jagr. But Flyers went after another player instead, Mike Ricci. Imagine if Flyers had both Peter and Jagr in the same team, Inge Hammarström laughing"

Inge Hammarström sluar som scout efter 35 år

Hmmm, you better listen to Inge or it will cost you a cup or two? ;-)

I thought Delorme pushed for pettersson. Also we this is the first I heard of him even working for the Canucks. It does connect with gradin working more out of North America, Hammarström works in Sweden for us.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Meh.

Rather have Kakko, personally.

Really, you're not happy that we've got Pettersson developing as a possible franchise #1 centre?

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Kakko would have fit nicely on his right wing.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I thought Delorme pushed for pettersson. Also we this is the first I heard of him even working for the Canucks. It does connect with gradin working more out of North America, Hammarström works in Sweden for us.

I interpret this latest report as Hammarstrom being the scout on the ground in Sweden pushing for Elias based on what he saw there, whereas Delorme back here ran with that and was massively boosting Pettersson to Bracket and Benning.

Reactions: 21

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I'd do

Leivo-Horvat-Boeser
I think that's better as well, but the main issue here is that the goalscoring will all fall on EP's shoulders. Goldobin has just a terrible shot. Maybe switching Leivo and Baertschi is the way to go (assuming that Bartschi can still play).

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014

This might be a joke post, but if one rookie is good enough to ruin your tank he's probably better than what you would've gotten from tanking anyway.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Dudes, it’s a parody of the people saying (sincerely) that it’s a good thing that Benning drafted poorly in 2014/2016 because if he had taken the obvious route, the Canucks would have finished too high to get Pettersson.

First, not sure that it is that good of a parody.

Second, I am not sure that there were many posters meaning what you describe, even if it did turn out to be a good thing. I, and others, however, were saying that had Benning not drafted so poorly, we would not have ended up with EP. I absolutely believe that had we made different decisions, in the years before EP, both drafting and FA signing, that we would have had a different result, one that we may not have liked as much.

I, for one, am very happy that we have EP now and in the future, and I would not want to go back and select Nylander and Tkachuk, instead of Virtanen and Juolevi... because of this positive result.

In the future, however, I want to get the best possible pick with every selection LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce