Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Nice interview, was clearly nervious and a bit limited with his english.

I enjoyed it

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Nice interview, was clearly nervious and a bit limited with his english.

I enjoyed it

Imagine being a literal deity and still being nervous about saying the wrong word in a meaningless interview for a bunch of mere mortals. I know talking about character isn’t the most popular thing to do here but man, skill aside, we are so lucky to have this kid leading the team. Maybe it’s because he’s from a small town, maybe his parents did an incredible job raising him, maybe he was just born that way or maybe it’s all of these things but I think he will challenge the Sedins for having a generational career off the ice and in the community just by being himself and without really trying. I feel the same about Horvat and Boeser as well of course. This team has ridiculously elite intangibles.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Both times I heard Emil say Elias will have to steal the cup in my head I think it's cause we'll never win. I know it's not what he meant but I cant help it.

Also I thought Pettersson had a huge helmet, but it turns out his head is huge to fit those big brains of his.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Yes. Someone please come up with an avatar for Jacky boy because I have avatars disabled.

should be some smug Pettersson face or something to do with Suzuki imo, but maybe someone has something better. Or a reporter glare?

Is there an option to wait until the end of the season to claim it? Pettersson with the Calder would be fitting. I'm just scared Dahlin is going to keep getting better as the season goes on, though Pettersson may very well do the same. I don't like to enumerate poultry before they have ended their gestation.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
2cb05d2df7.png

is persona 5 still relevant?

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Now right above guys like Crosby, Stamkos, Kessel, Malkin and Tavares. I know these things change after every game but this is almost half way into the season, not two games or something.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
It is pretty nice that the year after the Sedins retire, we have Pettersson (96 PPG pace over 82 gp), Boeser (82 PPG pace over 82gp), and Horvat (73 PPG pace over 82 gp) all leading the charge at forward. We definitely got a bit lucky with Pettersson and Boeser, and even with Horvat as we could have just as easily had Nichushkin with that pick. We need a little bit of that same luck with the back end now.

ciderfylla

Dec 28, 2015
We should stop complaining about never winning the draft lottery because we have Pettersson. Truly a special player, kid is a superstar in the making. We are so lucky to have him

People will never stop complaining about stuff like that. Or draft picks, for that matter. I mean hell, when Pettersson was picked we had ace comments like this and this being posted in the draft thread. That's some funny stuff.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Petterson is showing the signs of truly becoming ultra elite. He hasn’t been fantastic in the last few games but he still finds ways to produce.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Finally had to stop following this twitter account because the stupid crappy minutiae that they dig up are so annoying.
That's kind of the whole point with PR. To fabricate a truth. I mean, Elias has made a lot of fans excited about hockey, but come on. "Pettersson has scored the most points of any rookie on odd thursdays, with snowfall."

As for the interview, Pettersson's English is subpar, but passable for a hockey guy. He'll soon be fluent though, even if I suspect he'll always keep the accent. Also love his choice of suit.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
That's kind of the whole point with PR. To fabricate a truth. I mean, Elias has made a lot of fans excited about hockey, but come on. "Pettersson has scored the most points of any rookie on odd thursdays, with snowfall."

As for the interview, Pettersson's English is subpar, but passable for a hockey guy. He'll soon be fluent though, even if I suspect he'll always keep the accent.

There's some interesting stuff but some of the stuff they tweet is just asinine. "Giordano is the sixth Calgary Flame Defender to score two short handed goals in the same week." Like who the f*** cares.

Here's a better thing. Pettersson has recorded a point in 21 of his 30 games so far. That is truly elite. Even when he's not going great he finds ways of getting on the scoreboard.

Here are the modern rookie leaders in % of games with a point.

RookieGamesGames W Point%GWP
Alex Ovechkin816580%
Teemu Selanne*846780%
Sidney Crosby815973%
Joe Nieuwendyk*755371%
Elias Pettersson302170%
Evgeni Malkin785469%
Joe Juneau845869%
Mikael Renberg835566%
Mark Stone805164%
Paul Stastny825263%
Tony Amonte795063%