Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Pettersson is a like a hybrid of Gretzky/Datsyuk. Not as good but he does remind me of those two players a lot.

The way he knows where to put the puck and where to go directly after, that hockey IQ and lanky build is very Gretzky like. I’ll think to myself Pettersson had an okay game then I look at the stat sheet and he has 3 points, Gretzky like.

His shiftiness, stick work (stick handling/stick checking), subtle poke checks, offensive & defensive awareness, and great deking are reminiscent of Datsyuk.

Pettersson is a unique talent and really enjoyable to watch. IMO EP will be a top 5 player in the NHL for a long time.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Barring talking about Gretzky, the sky is the limit for this player. He does so many things well as a 20 year old, I just don't know who to compare him to.

He is a future Hart trophy winner. He is a future top 3 player in the league for sure. The only thing that might hold him back is injuries. He scares me when he tries to dangle 2 or 3 guys and comes up solid in one of them with a hit. Sooner or later that is going to be on the jaw and it's not going to end well .

Reactions: daddyohsix

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Barring talking about Gretzky, the sky is the limit for this player. He does so many things well as a 20 year old, I just don't know who to compare him to.

He is a future Hart trophy winner. He is a future top 3 player in the league for sure. The only thing that might hold him back is injuries. He scares me when he tries to dangle 2 or 3 guys and comes up solid in one of them with a hit. Sooner or later that is going to be on the jaw and it's not going to end well .
Watching him play, he actually does remind one of Gretzky, though. The thing that really set Gretzky apart was his vision and anticipation. He saw the game three or four moves before everyone else and so does Pete. He's just always there. He can be below the goal line in the offensive zone, make a pass to the point and if the dman flubs it and gives the puck away, somehow Pete's the first guy back breaking up the play in front of his own goal. His defensive play should really be putting to bed the myth that you have to be some huge physical specimen to play well defensively. Doesn't seem to be, though.

And yes, considering the Canucks' medical staff is a bag of clown farts and incompetence, injuries are definitely a concern. But there's nothing we can do about that.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Watching him play, he actually does remind one of Gretzky, though. The thing that really set Gretzky apart was his vision and anticipation. He saw the game three or four moves before everyone else and so does Pete. He's just always there. He can be below the goal line in the offensive zone, make a pass to the point and if the dman flubs it and gives the puck away, somehow Pete's the first guy back breaking up the play in front of his own goal. His defensive play should really be putting to bed the myth that you have to be some huge physical specimen to play well defensively. Doesn't seem to be, though.

And yes, considering the Canucks' medical staff is a bag of clown farts and incompetence, injuries are definitely a concern. But there's nothing we can do about that.
Alien is playing chess while everyone else is checkers he thinks 3 or 4 plays ahead like you suggest. That play behind the net in Columbus a perfect example, he buys time and draws in the defence then throws it to the the boards knowing the obvious play is out to the point for a shot...as soon as he passes it he goes straight to the net and go figure the puck deflects off him and in. Yes a bit lucky but it was smart to think ahead and he got rewarded.

His stick handling is frankly on another level.

How good must a player be that has a fan base excited and we are not even going to make the playoffs.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

I think you're right. I think in terms of style there haven't been many players who have high end skill that compares so well to Gretzky.

I just don't like throwing around the name because I think it implies you are saying that we are talking record setting offensive numbers, and I'm not ready to cross that bridge yet.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I think you're right. I think in terms of style there haven't been many players who have high end skill that compares so well to Gretzky.

I just don't like throwing around the name because I think it implies you are saying that we are talking record setting offensive numbers, and I'm not ready to cross that bridge yet.
And I'm certainly not comparing him to Greztky or implying he'll have in any way a comparable career, just that their games both show the same kind of strength.

Also, his appearance should shut down any "The team can't tank because all the fans will run away!" argument. The team actually gets bad enough to get draft picks high enough for the Petterssons of the world and hey, whaddayano, the fans all come running back to see the new star. Of course it doesn't work when you manage to f*** up the pick, but then this isn't a thread about that...

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Have we ever had a star player the eastern media didn't hate? Elias will be a true canuck when some HNIC cracker runs an intermission hit piece on him.
I think Näslund was pretty well universally liked. Criticized for being from the wrong country or whatever, but I don't remember anyone having a hate-on for him once he became a star.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I think Näslund was pretty well universally liked. Criticized for being from the wrong country or whatever, but I don't remember anyone having a hate-on for him once he became a star.

What? Naslund got a lot of criticism for being a quiet Captain who didn’t show much emotion when he scored. He also never got it done in the playoffs. As far as I remember he got at least as much criticism as the Sedins got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->