Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Leaving aside how dumb it is to try to use in an argument, who even knows how far Pettersson would Have fallen. Pre draft we discussed the possibility of trading down and getting him at 8. We know Vegas wanted glass anyway which is why they didn't swap picks. It's impossible to say and not worth discussing.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Leaving aside how dumb it is to try to use in an argument, who even knows how far Pettersson would Have fallen. Pre draft we discussed the possibility of trading down and getting him at 8. We know Vegas wanted glass anyway which is why they didn't swap picks. It's impossible to say and not worth discussing.

I think it is absolutely worth discussing, and particularly when you or others suggest we could have all the nice things if we picked one off after the next. It is simply not true! But thanks for the advice on the topics worth discussing on here.

And it is a certainty that one decision changes the next. There is no debating it. Change one variable and it effects the balance of all others.

Last edited:

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
What tim said. Look in your heart you know the WD truth

LOL I actually chuckled at this one- Good work.

Yes, WD may not have liked young players. But here is a list of forwards who played for the Canucks that year who even WD might have let MT play in front of or to replace from injuries, etc.:

Skille, Chaput, Megna, Boucher, Gaunce, Drew Shore LOL, Rodin, Zalewski, Rendulic, Grenier, Molino, Cramarosa, Labatte. These guys played 258 games.

Goldobin played 12 games
Dorsett Played 14 games
Hansen Played 28 games

The Canucks dressed 26 different forwards that year due to performance and injury. You don't think he could have made a difference?

In addition, so would have Nylander. No chance he sits in Utica.

Anyways, to each his own. I certainly know for a certainty that one decision, one action, effects the next action in life.

For example: I chose to go to UBC to get a specific degree. Had I got a different degree, my life would have been different. I would likely not be writing on this hockey board- to some's delight:)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think it is absolutely worth discussing, and particularly when you or others suggest we could have all the nice things if we picked one off after the next. It is simply not true! But thanks for the advice on the topics worth discussing on here.

And it is a certainty that one decision changes the next. There is no debating it. Change one variable and it effects the balance of all others.

There is no certainty about how changing ANYTHING in the past will alter anything in the present. That's why it's a giant waste of time. I'd love to know why you think it's worht discussing, what points you think it supports and what arguments we can form from it.

As a rejection of the notion that we could have Ehlers AND Boeser AND Tkachuk AND Pettersson, sure, maybe it's worth using specifically to refute that claim, and only in that narrow usage, but otherwise it's a completely wastewhile topic.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009

I'm not sure Pettersson would've been there at 8 if the Canucks traded down. It's purely speculation but the Rangers probably take him at 7. I don't think they trade Stepan and Ranata to Arizona the day before the draft with Andersson as their target.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Please remember that Willie Desjardins was still our coach.

You Think Anyone Will Believe That The Same Willie Desjardins That Put Virtanen And McCann In The NHL As 19 Year Old Rookies Would've Left Tkachuk Off The Team? Give Me A Break.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm not sure Pettersson would've been there at 8 if the Canucks traded down. It's purely speculation but the Rangers probably take him at 7. I don't think they trade Stepan and Ranata to Arizona the day before the draft with Andersson as their target.

The point is, we don't know, and assuming that we wouldn't get him is as dumb and pointless as assuming that we would.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
LOL I actually chuckled at this one- Good work.

Yes, WD may not have liked young players. But here is a list of forwards who played for the Canucks that year who even WD might have let MT play in front of or to replace from injuries, etc.:

Skille, Chaput, Megna, Boucher, Gaunce, Drew Shore LOL, Rodin, Zalewski, Rendulic, Grenier, Molino, Cramarosa, Labatte. These guys played 258 games.

Goldobin played 12 games
Dorsett Played 14 games
Hansen Played 28 games

The Canucks dressed 26 different forwards that year due to performance and injury. You don't think he could have made a difference?

In addition, so would have Nylander. No chance he sits in Utica.

Anyways, to each his own. I certainly know for a certainty that one decision, one action, effects the next action in life.

For example: I chose to go to UBC to get a specific degree. Had I got a different degree, my life would have been different. I would likely not be writing on this hockey board- to some's delight:)
Who knows if Tkachuk even makes the WD's Canucks? Didn't Benning had to force Willy to keep Horvat? Neither Jake nor McCann made it in the D+1 year.
Even if MT makes it, was WD going to give him any meaningful ice time? JV and McCann both got 4th line minutes with scrubs and auto-benched in the 3rd period. Or healthy scratched completely. I doubt MT makes the Canucks significantly better that season.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

No, it isn't worth discussing because it's purely hypothetical. It becomes a Shrödinger's cat situation. Picking Nylander/Ehlers and/or Tkachuck and not picking Petterson and picking Nylander/Ehlers and/or Tkachuck and Picking Pettersson would exist in a superposition. Meaning both realities would both exist and not exist at the same time. It's also rediculous to give a GM credit for botching 2 top 10 picks because otherwise they wouldn't be in a position to pick Pettersson. Especially because Jim Benning was trying to make the playoffs during this time.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
No, it isn't worth discussing because it's purely hypothetical. It becomes a Shrödinger's cat situation. Picking Nylander/Ehlers and/or Tkachuck and not picking Petterson and picking Nylander/Ehlers and/or Tkachuck and Picking Pettersson would exist in a superposition. Meaning both realities would both exist and not exist at the same time. It's also rediculous to give a GM credit for botching 2 top 10 picks because otherwise they wouldn't be in a position to pick Pettersson. Especially because Jim Benning was trying to make the playoffs during this time.

Yeah... we don't ever want to discuss hypotheticals on a hockey fan board? Maybe see how many hypothetical trade suggestions there was on this board today alone? Come on mate.

And this idea is not actually hypothetical- if we had different players, we would have a different team and what follows are different outcomes!

Hypothetical would be, geese, imagine how much better we could be if we had picked Nylander and Tkachuk and had a different GM.... that doesn't ever happen here...

This is silly pushback on a simple reality, but fun all the same

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Who knows if Tkachuk even makes the WD's Canucks? Didn't Benning had to force Willy to keep Horvat? Neither Jake nor McCann made it in the D+1 year.
Even if MT makes it, was WD going to give him any meaningful ice time? JV and McCann both got 4th line minutes with scrubs and auto-benched in the 3rd period. Or healthy scratched completely. I doubt MT makes the Canucks significantly better that season.

We finished with 69 points. Two teams finished with 70. All it would have taken would have been 1 more win. Maybe even 1 more goal to create an OT loss. 1 point hmmmm???.... Regardless, the outcomes are almost certainly to have been different. One thing you are correct about is we won't know how much different or if it would have meant we don't have EP, but it is certainly likely things would have changed and as such, our odds would have changed.

You know, the Russian interference in the US election didn't change any votes either:)

This is fun!!

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
The point is, we don't know, and assuming that we wouldn't get him is as dumb and pointless as assuming that we would.

Yup, no argument here. Just thought the optics of the Rangers draft was interesting. It's fun to think the Canucks ruined their trade/draft by taking the higher ranked Swede.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Did anyone else notice the little deak he made on the power play just inside the blueline roughly 5 minutes left of 2nd period? Even in a game like this, one of his worst of the season, he made two seemingly impossible plays in tight spaces that I honestly haven't seen any other player being capable of, ever. It’s actually breathtaking thinking about how good he could be in a couple of years.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Did anyone else notice the little deak he made on the power play just inside the blueline roughly 5 minutes left of 2nd period? Even in a game like this, one of his worst of the season, he made two seemingly impossible plays in tight spaces that I honestly haven't seen any other player being capable of, ever. It’s actually breathtaking thinking about how good he could be in a couple of years.

I thought it was incoming turn over, and that move can only work in Junior but nope, pulled it off, I was surprised.

Reactions: Ben White

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
He's been fighting the puck a bit of late and hasn't been as good as he was the first 20 or so games. Even his point streak was propped up a bit with 2nd assists off faceoff wins and the like. With that said, he still has at least a couple moments every game that are breathtaking. The kid simply has no ceiling right now.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Movieclip or it didnt happen. seriously this is whats should talked about in a players thread. Not long boring blabla blas about whom drafts who if whatever had happened.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Movieclip or it didnt happen. seriously this is whats should talked about in a players thread. Not long boring blabla blas about whom drafts who if whatever had happened.

Sorry but don’t have time to sit and screenrecord stuff during xmas. If you have access to the game you can check it up.

Reactions: ZEBROA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad