Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Sorry, watching daredevil at the same time. What I’m trying to say is, injuries to boeser and edler shouldn’t be a reason why his has production dropped this badly.
He went from playing with Boeser to playing with Virtanen who doesn’t fit with him. His production will drop.

Goldobin-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Sorry, watching daredevil at the same time. What I’m trying to say is, injuries to boeser and edler shouldn’t be a reason why his has production dropped this badly.

Did you watch the games? He had an absolutely dominant game vs the Ducks but this is not basketball - one player can’t do it all. You rarely see NHL players perform as poorly as Goldobin, Eriksson, Pouliat, Gudbransson, Hutton among other the last couple of games.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
I am not worried about EPs drop in production. I missed a couple games last week or the week before from Vacation so I was stat watching but the last two games where I've actually been able to sit down and watch he's been creating chances and still sound defensively (might be getting outmuscled but I'm not shocked about this). I can't wait to have Boeser back, they continue clicking.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
I would like him to be more consistent , thats all, not one 5p game and then 5 games without a point. It is better if he get 2 points one game and 3 spread out on the five games after.

This migh have natural explanations, bad luck, teammates etc. I wish him the best and that he win the calder.
EP40,plays better at home, the 6 game road trip we had difficult line matches and let’s be honest he is carrying the offence right now a big load for a young rookie. Consistency will,come with time he is still learning N.A. Game.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Yep he's just a kid, and he's realized he doesn't have the strength to battle along the boards. Definitely avoiding the boards to some extent now, which I approve of. I think most of his production this year will come on the PP.

I don't think we'll see his final form until he puts on some more strength.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
EP40 is a 65-75 point player until he gets legit wingers and puck movers on D and PP Qb. When that happens i believe EP40 will be over 90 points a year in his career.
100% agree. Many times his brain is miles ahead of his teammates and he is looking at them like why couldn’t you see that play. Last game 3 times I saw him move to open spot expecting a pass or play into the corner and his winger does something different. He is a playmaker and with Boeser back his points will go up.

Look for him in top 5 scoring for years to come.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

lawrence

May 19, 2012
There is no consistency issue
The reason why he doesn’t have over 10 assists now is purely due to bad luck + teammates unable to finish a great set up by him

insane how Goldobin has goal scoring chances handed to him on a silver platter from Pettersson yet he only has 4 goals to show for.

Reactions: BlueGreen

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
I think he's really going to heat up in December. After this California trip and other than one 3 game trip, they are home for just over a month and with Boeser nearing a return, I see the both of them lighting it up.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
I think he's really going to heat up in December. After this California trip and other than one 3 game trip, they are home for just over a month and with Boeser nearing a return, I see the both of them lighting it up.
Sure hope so the Athleties are not the same without an EP gif dump lol

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
In fairness to those complaining about his point production lately I know there were a minimum of 2 and quite probably three recent games in a row where EP made a sick pass to a teammate that then proceeded to ring it off the post. This stuff will all even out however he has had a bit of bad luck in the points department recently. Plus his linemates just aren't that good. Brock should help that out a lot.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Keller had a similar start last year with 11g g 17p in his first 16 games. 21 points in his last 20 games and also without much help. Keller's 65pt pace could be a reasonable EP outcome. The biggest difference between Keller and Barzal was Keller's best two nights all year were 3 points and 4 points where Barzal had three 5 point nights and five 3 point nights. Was a Tavares shield worth that much?

Pettersson had a 3 and a 5 point night in his first nine games. If he actually does have more big night potential than Keller then he will get to 70+ even with the forwards they have now.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Keller had a similar start last year with 11g g 17p in his first 16 games. 21 points in his last 20 games and also without much help. Keller's 65pt pace could be a reasonable EP outcome. The biggest difference between Keller and Barzal was Keller's best two nights all year were 3 points and 4 points where Barzal had three 5 point nights and five 3 point nights. Was a Tavares shield worth that much?

Pettersson had a 3 and a 5 point night in his first nine games. If he actually does have more big night potential than Keller then he will get to 70+ even with the forwards they have now.

pretty much this

Pettersson having a 65+ pt season is a massive success as a center

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
insane how Goldobin has goal scoring chances handed to him on a silver platter from Pettersson yet he only has 4 goals to show for.

Come on man. Goldy has hit like 15 posts this season. His lack of goals is basically bad luck. He got one off his skate last game, so maybe his luck will turn around.

Goldy leads the team in chance creation too. Him and Petterson are a legitimately good duo together.

Reactions: bbud

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
In the wake of Boesers injury, the coach really should move Pets to the wing. Keep the production going. Many teams stack one line

Having these guys productive is better than just plain losing

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Come on man. Goldy has hit like 15 posts this season. His lack of goals is basically bad luck. He got one off his skate last game, so maybe his luck will turn around.

Goldy leads the team in chance creation too. Him and Petterson are a legitimately good duo together.

Tonight featured many examples of the inability of 77 to receive a pass and/or protect the puck thus ending rushes before they start. It is pretty bad when your agent tells you to change your blade pattern because you can't handle the puck. Amazing that comment did not get more play but 77 seems to lead a charmed existence which is extremely rare for a JB pickup.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
I doubt Elias will be moved to wing at the moment - it`s important that he continue to develop in the center position, because of value reasons as well.

This.

It doesn't make a lot of long term sense for the team or player to move him to the wing just for the sake of getting him points. It probably wont win us more games either because it will just make the rest of the lineup significantly worse.

Reactions: Ori

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
In the wake of Boesers injury, the coach really should move Pets to the wing. Keep the production going. Many teams stack one line

Having these guys productive is better than just plain losing

1. We want EP to develop as our future 1C, so I think we should keep him at center.

2. Without Sutter or Beagle (for what they're worth anyway), we don't really have anyone to fill in at center behind EP. We're talking Gaudette as the 2C now? Markus Granlund? Sam Gagner?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
1. We want EP to develop as our future 1C, so I think we should keep him at center.

2. Without Sutter or Beagle (for what they're worth anyway), we don't really have anyone to fill in at center behind EP. We're talking Gaudette as the 2C now? Markus Granlund? Sam Gagner?

I get that, and it makes full sense. But a 15 game(exaggerated) losing streak is a dangerous thing for a young player. They have to develop maturity in not only their game...but in their attitude

We've already seen Pets display frustration towards his linemates. That is not good, and it is managements duty to temper that, as right or wrong as it is on the players part. It's a tight rope right now IMO

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I get that, and it makes full sense. But a 15 game(exaggerated) losing streak is a dangerous thing for a young player. They have to develop maturity in not only their game...but in their attitude

We've already seen Pets display frustration towards his linemates. That is not good, and it is managements duty to temper that, as right or wrong as it is on the players part. It's a tight rope right now IMO

By all indications, he likes playing with Goldy and they're friends off the ice.

There just isn't any other talent to play him with. It's not the managing of the lines, it's just a bad roster. He and Bo are going to need to be on separate lines. And with Baertschi and Boeser out, there just isn't any talent left.

As for the winning argument, if you load up a Bo + EP line, you're really just conceding every other line to get caved in. Sure maybe you can get 22 minutes out of them. But that's 38 other minutes of looking at an absolute mess.

The Shotgun - EP - Goldy line actually has very good underlying metrics and decent production. It's the best shot we've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad