Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Do you mean this one?

I have a feeling I will sacrifice a percentage of my life if I must watch the entire footage of his upcoming highlight videos, if being allowed some hyperbole. He has created like 15-20 minutes already. A video including all off his "moments Canucks fans got off their seats", it would become a movie marathon by the end of his career. It's not just the points or the plays. It's the other stuff like making opponents act like they're in a comedy. The "wth just happened?" moments. Vancouver must protect him from cheap shots.

Last edited:

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
He's unbelievable. How can anyone that young, that skinny, be that good, that smart and that ridiculously skilled to the point where you ask where he got the cheat codes? I know I've posted double digits about him, but seriously... it's everything he does, with or without the puck. I know it's early, but he's a generational player. Only injuries can stop him.

He dekes like Datsyuk, shoots like Sakic/ Hull/ Laine (or more like better than them), defends like he's an elite veteran, skates really well, has hockey IQ like Gretzky and vision and passing like Forsberg. And he hates to lose, while realizing he's just going to his job to do the grind. At 19.

Are you kidding me? He has 12 goals and 7 assists, playing with underwhelming and ridiculously weak winger support and defensemen who're not that good, on an injury riddled team projected as a lottery pick, who also have injury problems in net.

I just pray Boeser gets back soon on his wing, so he at least can have someone close enough to capitalize on his brilliance. The transition he has made, from a faster, more physical league, switching positions. Let me just say this is the song I hear when I watch him perform:

He's not a player, he's a hard working artist.

One way to explain: He sees the ice "from above". Or, rather, he models scenarios for the coming 2-5 seconds like he saw the ice from above. Imagine you could switch back-and forth from ice-level view to a drone-cam hovering 30 feet above your head. He automatically scraps all irrelevant input data and only processes relevant scenarios - this is about limiting input, not about general processor speed. Less irrelevant input - quicker processing time. And he does it all the time. He probably even does it from the bench.

Without being "smartass about it", it is difficult to fully grasp if you don't experience it yourself. I had it as a young teenager, different time, different team sport. But I remember the biggest challenge as a youngster was to accept that everyone else don't see these things and that you have to find mates who understand your abilities and can adjust their play accordingly. In other words, not similar players, but players with different skill sets that can execute on time, space and other things you create.

On top of this he has other skills that alone would have taken him to the NHL. Deadly combo. Datsyuk+Laine in one thin young frame.

For sure. His timing is excellent.

This is very very true. And he still got one concussion after less than 15 games. Praying it stays at one.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Ok he need some games in a row with points now. If Van gets 2goals EP should be in on one of them. Rather he has a point per game then many one game and then nothing. Hope he looked ok at least, this last game.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Ok he need some games in a row with points now. If Van gets 2goals EP should be in on one of them. Rather he has a point per game then many one game and then nothing. Hope he looked ok at least, this last game.

Huh? I don't get what you are saying.

There is literally no player in the league now who doesn't score in bunches and then go cold for a time.
All time... Mario & Wayne. That is pretty much it. It is just the nature of the game.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

it would help if our rookie isn't the offensive catalyst of this team...

barzal was under bailey tavares lee
tkachuk under gaudreau monahan
marner matthews and nylander had each other
laine under wheeler scheifele ehlers

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Huh? I don't get what you are saying.

There is literally no player in the league now who doesn't score in bunches and then go cold for a time.
All time... Mario & Wayne. That is pretty much it. It is just the nature of the game.

I would like him to be more consistent , thats all, not one 5p game and then 5 games without a point. It is better if he get 2 points one game and 3 spread out on the five games after.

This migh have natural explanations, bad luck, teammates etc. I wish him the best and that he win the calder.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
it would help if our rookie isn't the offensive catalyst of this team...

barzal was under bailey tavares lee
tkachuk under gaudreau monahan
marner matthews and nylander had each other
laine under wheeler scheifele ehlers
You have a point there. More consistence no matter the obsticles(wich are quite huge) is still on my santas wishlist .

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Boeser and Edler back will be good for EP's assist production, especially on the PP.

its expected his production to drop without 2 of their power play weapons, that being said I didn't expect him to get 7 straight without an assist and 2 goals in the past 6 games or so. He needs to rise above this challenge himself as the league is getting the book on him, he needs to also adjust and show why is going to be a great player.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
its expected his production to drop without 2 of their power play weapons, that being said I didn't expect him to get 7 straight without an assist and 2 goals in the past 6 games or so. He needs to rise above this challenge himself as the league is getting the book on him, he needs to also adjust and show why is going to be a great player.

Boeser and to some extent Edler are the type of players a guy like him needs though. Every other successful rookie these past few years have had at least one or two guys to lean on, even if their overall teams haven't always been great. Pastrnak had Marchand and Bergeron, Matthews/Marner/Nylander had each other on and off, McDavid had Draisaitl, Hischier had Hall, Laine had a whole bunch.

Outside of that you have a guy like Keller who started strong but fizzled out during the season because he was surrounded with zero talent.

Horvat is that type of player obviously, but I'm talking someone to share the ice with during most of the game.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Boeser and to some extent Edler are the type of players a guy like him needs though. Every other successful rookie these past few years have had at least one or two guys to lean on, even if their overall teams haven't always been great. Pastrnak had Marchand and Bergeron, Matthews/Marner/Nylander had each other on and off, McDavid had Draisaitl, Hischier had Hall, Laine had a whole bunch.

Outside of that you have a guy like Keller who started strong but fizzled out during the season because he was surrounded with zero talent.

Horvat is that type of player obviously, but I'm talking someone to share the ice with during most of the game.

I’ve actually brought this up in our own forum that his production drop shouldn’t be an excuse Of the lack of quality teammates and injuries.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I read that 10 times.

I do not know what that sentence means.

Sorry, watching daredevil at the same time. What I’m trying to say is, injuries to boeser and edler shouldn’t be a reason why his has production dropped this badly.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Sorry, watching daredevil at the same time. What I’m trying to say is, injuries to boeser and edler shouldn’t be a reason why his has production dropped this badly.

That kind of depends on the use of increments though. He has 2 goals in his last 7 games, but that's also 2 goals in his last 3 games, so what's his pace? It's probably somewhere in between.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Yes, with the team this poorly constructed, injuries to two players can and clearly have absolutely ruined Pettersson's production in terms of points. It was honestly painful last night watching him fly with the puck while his linemates were out of position and didn't understand what he was doing (Erickson literally stumbled over his own skates when Pettersson passed to him at one point)

He'd have 50 points by now at least if this team was good

Reactions: daddyohsix

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Kind of. You're expecting his standard rate of production to be what it was at the start of the season with this lineup. He was overachieving at the time, and while he's underachieving right now, it's not by as much as you may think when you look at based on what he should be producing rather than what he was producing.

This lineup doesn't help at all, though. It's not just about his linemates not producing, it's about him being the only offensive threat besides Horvat. Pettersson has quite literally been a one man show on that line and he's made a lot of top notch passes that have turned into nothing because nobody can finish right now. The other team just blankets him in coverage so he can't do it himself, but the solution to that which is to find an open player isn't available if they can't do anything with the puck on their tape in slot. If he had Burrows on his wing he would have a lot more points right now.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
its expected his production to drop without 2 of their power play weapons, that being said I didn't expect him to get 7 straight without an assist and 2 goals in the past 6 games or so.
I do not fault him at all for lack of assists in this stretch. I can't think of a Canuck who deserves one more for how many chances he's generating for teammates. Like he hasn't even been picking up lucky secondary apples. That should be extremely telling.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
When is Baertschi and Boeser back?
I'd like to see Pettersson reunited with Boeser.
Then put Baertschi Horvat Goldobin on the second line and i think you're back to scoring goals

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I do not fault him at all for lack of assists in this stretch. I can't think of a Canuck who deserves one more for how many chances he's generating for teammates. Like he hasn't even been picking up lucky secondary apples. That should be extremely telling.
Anyone who actually watch the game can easily see how unluck he was to not got a couple assists. Others just can’t finish his passes

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
EP40 is a 65-75 point player until he gets legit wingers and puck movers on D and PP Qb. When that happens i believe EP40 will be over 90 points a year in his career.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Yes, with the team this poorly constructed, injuries to two players can and clearly have absolutely ruined Pettersson's production in terms of points. It was honestly painful last night watching him fly with the puck while his linemates were out of position and didn't understand what he was doing (Erickson literally stumbled over his own skates when Pettersson passed to him at one point)

He'd have 50 points by now at least if this team was good

I saw that (between the legs backpass in the offensive zone corner to Gibson's right), couldn't help calling out "now he's breaking his linemates' ankles". LE is so done.

Seriously, Boeser seems to be the only player we currently have that can keep up with EP's anticipation. Am thinking they need to give Dahlen a look when circumstances are right, sooner rather than later.

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I saw that (between the legs backpass in the offensive zone corner to Gibson's right), couldn't help calling out "now he's breaking his linemates' ankles". LE is so done.

Seriously, Boeser seems to be the only player we currently have that can keep up with EP's anticipation. Am thinking they need to give Dahlen a look when circumstances are right, sooner rather than later.
Dahlen may get the call up before years end. Baertschi is not close to being back and this team cannot keep putting plugs like Motte or Schaller in the top 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad