Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I get that, and it makes full sense. But a 15 game(exaggerated) losing streak is a dangerous thing for a young player. They have to develop maturity in not only their game...but in their attitude

We've already seen Pets display frustration towards his linemates. That is not good, and it is managements duty to temper that, as right or wrong as it is on the players part. It's a tight rope right now IMO

When did he display frustration towards his teammates ?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
By all indications, he likes playing with Goldy and they're friends off the ice.

There just isn't any other talent to play him with. It's not the managing of the lines, it's just a bad roster. He and Bo are going to need to be on separate lines. And with Baertschi and Boeser out, there just isn't any talent left.

As for the winning argument, if you load up a Bo + EP line, you're really just conceding every other line to get caved in. Sure maybe you can get 22 minutes out of them. But that's 38 other minutes of looking at an absolute mess.

The Shotgun - EP - Goldy line actually has very good underlying metrics and decent production. It's the best shot we've got.

Good post and i'll take your word for it. But I've witnessed him numerous times display some telling body language. Just the other night the commentators commented also. They said this and I was floored cuz I witnessed it also before.

But that's not my main point. IMO I think keeping him productive is important, and let's be honest, loading up 1 line on a thin team can be equally as productive as trying to spread things out. Look at Bos and Col right now

Van has a tremendous pool coming, so you guys are going in the right direction. Pets doesn't have to play C every waking minute to become that guy. His hockey IQ is off the charts. Guys like Giroux and Carter have flip flopped that position for years

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
When did he display frustration towards his teammates ?

Obviously I can't link the plays. But I noticed it, and the commentators mentioned it last game. I can't recall what feed I was watching..but the play was to Golo full stride which he bobbled.

However, it was not just this one play. I got that sense a few times this year. I watch tons of Van games now cuz I love this kid..he's a treat

Reactions: lawrence

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Obviously I can't link the plays. But I noticed it, and the commentators mentioned it last game. I can't recall what feed I was watching..but the play was to Golo full stride which he bobbled.

However, it was not just this one play. I got that sense a few times this year. I watch tons of Van games now cuz I love this kid..he's a treat
You're over your own head

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Good post and i'll take your word for it. But I've witnessed him numerous times display some telling body language. Just the other night the commentators commented also. They said this and I was floored cuz I witnessed it also before.

But that's not my main point. IMO I think keeping him productive is important, and let's be honest, loading up 1 line on a thin team can be equally as productive as trying to spread things out. Look at Bos and Col right now

Van has a tremendous pool coming, so you guys are going in the right direction. Pets doesn't have to play C every waking minute to become that guy. His hockey IQ is off the charts. Guys like Giroux and Carter have flip flopped that position for years

aside from Hughes we don't have tremendous talents coming up

Frankly I am going to be disappointed if Pettersson tops out at Carter, this is how highly we rate him. And Giroux being good on both wing and center does not mean it's a good thing for Pettersson. We need him as a C and he has done well

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Goldobin amd Boeser would be a good line with Pettersson but not ideal

we need that smart hard nosed puck retriever ala Landeskog/prime Burrows/Marchand-Bergeron type for that goat 1st line

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016

'tremendous pool coming'? This is so far from the truth, more like a puddle.

- Demko looks promising, but goalies are tough to judge
- Hughes is also promising, but he isn't dominating like everyone expected. Any Dman that has questionable D skills is not a lock
- Woo is suspect, but hoping he surprises
- Dahlen, who I thought was improving, seems to be taking a few steps back according to Utica posters
- Nobody else is meeting expectations

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Goldobin - Pettersson - Boeser is good enough. Goldobin can do his possession thing (he's a good passer), while Pettersson and Boeser can work some magic. Boeser isn't at Pettersson's level, but he looks like a very solid complementary player, smart and skilled enough to tap into that EP40 mind. They should be able to produce a lot of multi point games.

If Boeser is put with Horvat when he comes back, I will lose my mind.

Scholarships

10 Piece
Apr 3, 2016
yFUkCuomFWrI1chVBIWjC7yvLQHt5_252Qq_JQIRXLk.jpg

The look of the Kings fan on the bottom right says it all. Petey is a dangerous guy

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

- Hughes is also promising, but he isn't dominating like everyone expected. Any Dman that has questionable D skills is not a lock
- Dahlen, who I thought was improving, seems to be taking a few steps back according to Utica posters

Its a solid pool that remains to be seen what these players become, i dont agree its tremendous or a puddle. Not sure I agree with your take on quinn hughes at all either, over a point per game as a 19 year old d-man in the ncaa is quite impressive. Makar and fox are older then him.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018

Unless a player dominates they aren’t considered a “lock”? What nonsense. Q.Hughes is a point per game defence and drop him in our line up today we would be vastly better. His defensive game will come around, EK65 took several years at the NHL level for that to happen.

Dahlen is doing fine and adjusting to N.A. ice.

Demko is just back from a concussion.

OJ (not mentioned) is running the pp1 in Utica right now and has 12a in 18 games.

Our prospect pool is good.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018

Just to add I do agree that we need to add to our pool, specifically a scoring left winger and a left shot D.

Sorry if you thought I was dumping on you, I wasn’t, just think our current pool is progressing.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Last game against LA was another strong showing from Rush Line. Petey with a goal and an assist, Goldy had an assist, and even Jake showed some nice vision. They're our best line right now (though that might not be saying much). They're going to be fine.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Unless a player dominates they aren’t considered a “lock”? What nonsense. Q.Hughes is a point per game defence and drop him in our line up today we would be vastly better. His defensive game will come around, EK65 took several years at the NHL level for that to happen.

OJ (not mentioned) is running the pp1 in Utica right now and has 12a in 18 games.

With Petey already graduated, it's not really a good pool. It's average.

We have one prospect I would give an "A" grade or blue-chip status to: Hughes.

Every team in the league has prospects equivalent to OJ/Demko/Dahlen/Mackewan, etc.

We are still desperately going to need to land a top talent this draft.

Reactions: timw33

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
With Petey already graduated, it's not really a good pool. It's average.

We have one prospect I would give an "A" grade or blue-chip status to: Hughes.

Every team in the league has prospects equivalent to OJ/Demko/Dahlen/Mackewan, etc.

We are still desperately going to need to land a top talent this draft.
Nope, if all teams had same prospects you would see more parity...and not all prospects turn into elite players which Hughes is trending towards. I disagree that our existing prospects are a ‘puddle’,but definitely agree we need more of them aka depth.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016

As I said, all the Dmen that were 1st round picks on our team were picked early because they put up a lot of points, not because of their D. I'm sure all the teams and fans that drafted them were convinced that they would be top players on their team too.

Look, I am pro tank...but this doesn't mean I want our prospects to tank too. I would love nothing more than a new GM to be that much closer to having a good pool of prospects to start with. After years of disappointment, I am not so easily convinced all our prospects will make it...even the 1st round picks. Dmen with questionable abilities to defend are not an automatic lock for me unless we only want them on the PP...

PPG for Hughes is good, but weren't we all expecting more since he went back? Drop him in our lineup today and our PP looks good, but 5 on 5? Is his defensive game NHL ready or even AHL ready? Yes, there's time and I hope he can. He has a good IQ and he can skate...no argument, but will his size hinder him down low along the boards or in front of the net? There's are as many questions as there promises, and from seeing the "surefire" 1st round Dmen on our team...to just assume that he is an NHLer is a little premature for me.

Dahlen, last few comments on his game, it sounds like he's not progressing well and prone to play around the perimeter more. Maybe he needs a better C or smarter line mates, but he seems to be stagnant.

OJ is not even close. This has been discussed over and over again and if you want the truth about his development...got to the prospect thread and read the comments from Utica fans, they give a less-biased review than any Canuck fans.

So... Demko just got back from a concussion, I know. He is the closest we got...Hughes very hopeful, but not guarantee against professional players. We have 2 prospects that have potential, not enough for me to even say we're "not bad"... and considering it's been 5 years, we are in an awful state.

Reactions: WestCoast CyberG

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Just to add I do agree that we need to add to our pool, specifically a scoring left winger and a left shot D.

Sorry if you thought I was dumping on you, I wasn’t, just think our current pool is progressing.

No apologies at all, I never thought you were dumping and I appreciate the respectful response. My earlier reply was also not meant to be "aggressive" if it sounds like it...

We need an entire D core, Tanev will be with Hughes, Hutton is good, Edler should be gone and the rest of our D is awful. We need depth too...and our prospects don't look like their gonna be able to help out. No, I disagree with only a left shot D.

We need 2 L wingers and a R wing, plus we need depth on both wings and at C. Not only that, but we need C in Utica, because we are empty in that position...not just for depth (which we really don't have anyways). If we keep Boeser with Pete, they are gonna need a puck retriever with skill to play alongside them, and this leaves Bo. We can't saddle him with this crap anymore and it's hurting the team, to let him try and do things on his own. We need to pair him with 2 solid wingers and Baer is OK, but not a player I want long-term...especially with his injury history now.

This team is much more than a couple pieces away from competing to get in the Playoffs...and I'm sorry, but 2 "potential" prospects does not make a good pool.

Reactions: WestCoast CyberG

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Move Jake to LW

Dahlen Pettersson Boeser
Virtanen Horvat Gaudette

Throw in Kakko and were MONEY :yo:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I would love o se Dahlen on the left of EP. But Dahlen needs to shoot more in Utica, twice as much would be nice. His passing is what is most importent playing with EP thou.

Have they played together yet at all? I did not watch the pregames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad