Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I would be willing to bet on the Canucks in the playoffs in before or during Petterson's 3rd year. I do not even need odds straight up bet. To me it is very likely. The biggest question is the goalie at that point. They will have elite forwards and with any development or luck a better defense. They should be better than all the Cali teams by then.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I would be willing to bet on the Canucks in the playoffs in before or during Petterson's 3rd year. I do not even need odds straight up bet. To me it is very likely. The biggest question is the goalie at that point. They will have elite forwards and with any development or luck a better defense. They should be better than all the Cali teams by then.
I don’t think they make it next year but two years from now is certainly reasonable. EP, Horvat, and Boeser should be leading the charge and hughes will be on his second season as well. Not to mention Kakko or Jack Hughes added to the mix! 1.5 more years of sucking

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

I don't see goaltending being an issue in three years (Demko should provide adequate enough goaltending by then). We'll need more than a little luck on the blueline though. Both Tanev & Edler will be three years older (assuming both are retained). I'm far more worried about the future of the D than the forwards and/or goaltending.

Reactions: lawrence

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I counted three separate odd man rush's that Virtanen screwed up last night with Pettersson.

Yes they aren't always going to work, but shooting from just inside the blue line on a 3 on 2 where the goalie just casually directs it into the corner is pretty frustrating.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Hughes and Pettersson and Boeser playing together is going to make me so happy. And after that one shift hughes will break his spine and be out for 3 years

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Yah it's ridiculous to think he might have opinions about the management style of the team he plays for. I mean, I definitely think the players are stupid, but to you they're like robots? Little hockey-obsessed homunculi? Do you think they feel love or sadness? Do they ever ponder what it means to be human?

Do you really think people have opinions about their coworkers and the management that hired them? Get real, kid.

The sad part is we might make the playoffs this year.

Calgary, San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona, Edmonton, Vegas and LA

Our division is legitimately so bad we actually have a chance of finishing top 3 in the division because a lot of those teams will be bottom 10 in the league. Is it really so unlikely that we finish bottom 10 with 5 others of those teams occupying the bottom 10 spots below us? I don't think we're favorites, but there is actually a chance that through sheer suckage by the rest of the teams we make it. Wouldn't it be grand to finish 23rd in the league and still not get a lottery ticket?

Then we get to hear about how the Canucks are turning it around and finally making the playoffs completely disregarding our actual standings in the league. Horvat and Pettersson are totally going to go on a tear and steal just enough wins to deny us a high draft pick so we can get swept. Hopefully we don't buy at the deadline to do so or in the offseason because we're supposedly contenders!

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm far more worried about the future of the D than the forwards and/or goaltending.

Juolevi should be a top 4 by then and Hughes. but goaltending I am very worried about wether Demko can pan out or not. We might have to dip into the UFA for a sub par goalie.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Juolevi should be a top 4 by then and Hughes. but goaltending I am very worried about wether Demko can pan out or not. We might have to dip into the UFA for a sub par goalie.
Demko's looked good so far (reason why I'm not too worried).

But yeah, it probably might not be a bad thing to get a veteran NHL backup goalie (though I haven't completely written off the two guys we have on the Canucks yet) when Demko is ready to make the jump.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
This Drake Batherson could be a super under the radar calder finalist.

He torched the AHL
Now he is on ottawa's first line and hasn't slowed down.

Batherson's a great player but, He needs 14 points to catch up to Pettersson. I would be shocked if the gap got smaller as the season goes on as I doubt he keeps producing over a ppg pace.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
This Drake Batherson could be a super under the radar calder finalist.

He torched the AHL
Now he is on ottawa's first line and hasn't slowed down.
Let's wait until a few more games before putting him on the same level as Pettersson. Three NHL games isn't alot. Even Wade Brookbank looked good riding shotgun with the Sedins after like 5 games.

Though there is likely an Eastern bias for those that do the voting (I'd guess a number of them don't bother staying awake to see Canuck home games (or other Western team home games).

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Batherson's a great player but, He needs 14 points to catch up to Pettersson. I would be shocked if the gap got smaller as the season goes on as I doubt he keeps producing over a ppg pace.
Let's wait until a few more games before putting him on the same level as Pettersson. Three NHL games isn't alot. Even Wade Brookbank looked good riding shotgun with the Sedins after like 5 games.

Though there is likely an Eastern bias for those that do the voting (I'd guess a number of them don't bother staying awake to see Canuck home games (or other Western team home games).

I dont think he'll win. I just think he could be a dark horse for being nominated.

Somebody along the lines of Yanni gourde, Kyle Conner. Hovering around that 3rd place voting percentage.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Does anyone have a clip of Ep40s centre ice button hook between the legs deke that had 3 jets wondering where the puck is ...

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014

Let's also keep in mind that his linemate Duchene has 8 points in those three games.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
He's unbelievable. How can anyone that young, that skinny, be that good, that smart and that ridiculously skilled to the point where you ask where he got the cheat codes? I know I've posted double digits about him, but seriously... it's everything he does, with or without the puck. I know it's early, but he's a generational player. Only injuries can stop him.

He dekes like Datsyuk, shoots like Sakic/ Hull/ Laine (or more like better than them), defends like he's an elite veteran, skates really well, has hockey IQ like Gretzky and vision and passing like Forsberg. And he hates to lose, while realizing he's just going to his job to do the grind. At 19.

Are you kidding me? He has 12 goals and 7 assists, playing with underwhelming and ridiculously weak winger support and defensemen who're not that good, on an injury riddled team projected as a lottery pick, who also have injury problems in net.

I just pray Boeser gets back soon on his wing, so he at least can have someone close enough to capitalize on his brilliance. The transition he has made, from a faster, more physical league, switching positions. Let me just say this is the song I hear when I watch him perform:

He's not a player, he's a hard working artist.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
He's unbelievable. How can anyone young, that light, be that good, that smart and that ridiculously skilled to the point where you ask where he got the cheat codes? I know I've posted double digits about him, but seriously... it's everything he does, with or without the puck. I know it's early, but he's a generational player. Only injuries can stop him. He dekes like Datsyuk, shoots like Sakic/ Hull/ Laine, defends like he's an elite veteran, skates really well, has hockey IQ like Gretzky and passing like Forsberg. And he hates to lose, while realizing he's just going to his job to do the grind. At 19.

Are you kidding me? He has 12 goals and 7 assists, playing with underwhelming and ridiculously weak winger support and defensemen who're not that good, on an injury riddled team projected as a lottery pick, who also have injury problems in net.

I just pray Boeser gets back soon on his wing, so he at least can have someone close enough to capitalize on his brilliance. Imagine if he had another franchise player on the ice with him.
To answer your first sentence
Weight and grittiness are overrated

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
the last canucks avatar i had was hutton and he regressed under that weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad