Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Compare building a team to having a great family. To build you need a great spouse or nothing else you do will matter. We got that with Petey. Yes we still need kids pets etc. but we have the main piece. Two years ago we had nothing for sure. Juolevi development is the biggest variable. If he becomes a top 4 with Hughes then this team is on its way with a few more additions.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Compare building a team to having a great family. To build you need a great spouse or nothing else you do will matter. We got that with Petey. Yes we still need kids pets etc. but we have the main piece. Two years ago we had nothing for sure. Juolevi development is the biggest variable. If he becomes a top 4 with Hughes then this team is on its way with a few more additions.
What

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Goldobin amd Boeser would be a good line with Pettersson but not ideal

we need that smart hard nosed puck retriever ala Landeskog/prime Burrows/Marchand-Bergeron type for that goat 1st line
Agreed. Mark Stone is an elite version of this type of player.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Drafting the obvious pick at the time of the draft? Ooooh that's edgy. :sarcasm:

Yup, that's strategic drafting! go left when everyone knows you should go right.

Edgy is the long-con, Calgary will eventually regret this...

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
I honestly dont mind the idea of

Dahlen Pettersson Boeser
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

If dahlen pans out.
We're trending towards another top forward in the draft.

Jack Hughes, Kaapo Kakko, Kirby Dach, and Vasili Podkolzin would all probably take a top-six spot away from one of these players within a year or two. Podkolzin's development curve will probably follow those of Kuznetsov and Tarasenko -- a year or two in the KHL before joining the NHL.

It might bode well for the Canucks if either Dahlen or Virtanen moved to the third line. We'd be starting to develop scoring depth in that case.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
We're trending towards another top forward in the draft.

Jack Hughes, Kaapo Kakko, Kirby Dach, and Vasili Podkolzin would all probably take a top-six spot away from one of these players within a year or two. Podkolzin's development curve will probably follow those of Kuznetsov and Tarasenko -- a year or two in the KHL before joining the NHL.

It might bode well for the Canucks if either Dahlen or Virtanen moved to the third line. We'd be starting to develop scoring depth in that case.

Do you Dach can step into the NHL right away? thanks appreciate your posts

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Do you Dach can step into the NHL right away? thanks appreciate your posts
Thanks, Hockeyphysio.

I don't think Dach will be ready to make an impact next season, but his level of production at the WHL level makes it difficult to think a team would send him back down next season. He is very talented, but there is a lot about his positioning that I don't like. He seems to lag behind plays at times and isn't the most timely forechecker. He is less impressive to me than Hughes and Kakko at this point in time, but he has high-level talent. His hockey IQ is just a step behind a few others in the draft class.

He is a wait-and-see candidate at the NHL training camp of whichever team selects him. He needs to further develop his ability to make an impact on every shift.

Here is a shift-by-shift of one of Dach's recent games:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyphysio

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Thanks, Hockeyphysio.

I don't think Dach will be ready to make an impact next season, but his level of production at the WHL level makes it difficult to think a team would send him back down next season. He is very talented, but there is a lot about his positioning that I don't like. He seems to lag behind plays at times and isn't the most timely forechecker. He is less impressive to me than Hughes and Kakko at this point in time, but he has high-level talent. His hockey IQ is just a step behind a few others in the draft class.

He is a wait-and-see candidate at the NHL training camp of whichever team selects him. He needs to further develop his ability to make an impact on every shift.

Here is a shift-by-shift of one of Dach's recent games:

He's... lumbering.

Reactions: timw33

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
I would love o se Dahlen on the left of EP. But Dahlen needs to shoot more in Utica, twice as much would be nice. His passing is what is most importent playing with EP thou.

Have they played together yet at all? I did not watch the pregames.
They played together for an entire 2 shifts in the preseason. They never really gave them an entire game to see what they could do together.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
When will you go back on topic? I expect a 40-50 goal, 50 assist season from him, if he can play with Boeser and not getting injured. I'm not kidding. Boeser is the key. However, maybe expectations should be dropped a bit due to the 82 game grind, he's not used to that.

Last edited:

CNuck

Jun 26, 2012
Petterson is lacking some jump that he had early in the season. Definitely not as noticeable...

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
They played together for an entire 2 shifts in the preseason. They never really gave them an entire game to see what they could do together.
Thats a shame. I think they would be great together with Boeser and Dahlen will learn faster in NHL with EP by his side.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
The second slump might be here, lets see how fast he gets out of it.

Right now the calder is closest B.Tkachuk.

Last edited:

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Petterson is lacking some jump that he had early in the season. Definitely not as noticeable...

I mean the SEL has a shorter season, so I expected him to slow down, maybe not this early though.

I think being the main focal point of the offense requires more energy and has been more taxing on him than what most rookies have to deal with.

He will build more endurance and stamina as he progresses though.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
OK, sure Tkachuk is the calder winner now.
Alright. Right now? Like "he has a higher PPG in his 14 games." Guess what, Pettersson was at Tkachuk's PPG at that rate of games played. Let's first see how Tkachuk handles his first slump before going to conclusions. That's an obvious starter. I'm not saying Tkachuk doesn't look like a really, really nice player, I mean, I like skilled power forwards, he's thrilling, but he isn't awesome. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe he will win it, but then he has deserved it. But "right now"? Come on. Tkachuk is effective, but he doesn't destroy goalies.

Now, back on topic. I would like to discuss Pettersson's shot. First, I would like to post another video. You can skip it if you want, but it's pure hockey candy.

Let's put it like this. Ovechkin has a great wrister, a good slap shot and a deadly one-timer. Ovechkin's one-timer is his legendary stamp. Laine has a deadly wrister, a good slap shot and... I mean, he just scores most of his goals with his wrister. Nothing wrong with that when you're amazing at it. They have perfected a type of a shot.

But then we discuss Pettersson's shot. He has a deadly wrister, a deadly slap shot and a deadly one-timer. How? Because he dissected his shot, found 12 exercises to improve it and... he just destroys goalie percentages. Edge work, blade touch, arm technique, leg technique, posture, whatever, he dissected it, I didn't. But he does his thing ridiculously well, regardless of the type of shot he fires. So now you have a guy that bombs top corners like it's a day at work, from wherever, whenever, if he has the space for it. It's more up to the team at this point, to help him create those moments of space or not, if he will do it, while being the most shadowed guy by the opposing team. And if they shadow him, teammates should be open.

That's why I predict he should be able to score 40-50 goals in his first season, because he has bombed top corners in every way possible for quite a few seasons now, coming out from the SHL with a 20+ shooting % and a ridiculous 37% in the SHL playoffs, now sitting at around 28% after 20+ NHL games, after destroying the 2nd division in similar fashion.

I was ridiculed on the main boards for claiming he can keep his shooting at 20%, maybe even 25%. Well, he has been ridiculous for a long time now. I take that at face value and when you look at his goals, no goalie in the world would like to face those kind of shots. Consistent laser guided missiles, regardless how, from which side and with the type of shot most successful in the current situation. I mean, he still has his favourite spot on the right circle on the PP, but that's just the scoring boost. How do you even try to analyze that? Also add his Orr throw when he wants extra length on his deke on the goalie on the long side, to add to his repertoire that you haven't seen yet.

Let's just say he's blowing my mind, with how mature, intelligent and complete he is as a player, at that age. And these are only his first 20 games. And then you can add that his shot is only a part of why he is such a ridiculous hockey player. This will be interesting.

Last edited:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
It is very homerish to deny that Brady Tkachuk has not gotten himself squarely in into the Calder race with Pettersson scoring slumping a bit. As was pointed out already, he has a higher PPG than Pettersson. As the season goes on, with what is going on in Buffalo, I would not dismiss Dahlen either.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
It is very homerish to deny that Brady Tkachuk has not gotten himself squarely in into the Calder race with Pettersson scoring slumping a bit. As was pointed out already, he has a higher PPG than Pettersson. As the season goes on, with what is going on in Buffalo, I would not dismiss Dahlen either.

Well, I don’t think either Tkachuk or Dahlin has been as impressive as Pettersson this far. As several posters already pointed out his assist totals should be much higher as his linemates so far have been extremely bad/unlucky at contributing on his many dishes.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Well, I don’t think either Tkachuk or Dahlin has been as impressive as Pettersson this far. As several posters already pointed out his assist totals should be much higher as his linemates so far have been extremely bad/unlucky at contributing on his many dishes.

Not yet based on the quarter mark no. But if the next 20 games are like the last 10 for both players.. Tkachuk will be very much neck and neck.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
He's still very exciting to watch and nobody seems to be able to regularly finish his passes, but the numbers don't lie: he's cooled off considerably since October. 5 points in his last 12 now.

Don't think the Calder is as much of a lock as we initially thought, though he's still the frontrunner. Dahlin, Tkachuk and Heiskanen have all closed the gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad