Elias Pettersson Milestone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
He may have one of the most accurate shots but if you are implying that this will
Be even with a big drop off he’s still going to have the highest % for a career if he keeps it up. There is no question he’s getting lucky or fortunate.

He has good linemates and gets plenty of ice time on a bad team. That’s usually why rookies score a lot in the first place. If he’s playing behind the twins he’s not scoring that high.

He is averaging 18 minutes a night I hardly call that lots of ice. Second I would argue he’s acore more if he was behind the twins. Teams game plan for the petey boeser line when they play us and he is still doing what he is doing as a rookie, after breaking all time records as an 18 year old in a men’s league, beating out all time greats. But sure it’s a bunch of lucky bounces and a prolonged hot streak. WAT

I don’t think anyone thinks he will shoot at 27 percent his entire career. But when he develops more and gets a better winger than the revolving door of leivo goldobin loui we will see what happens.

Last edited:

flipp

Jan 11, 2010
It's not just 50 games, though. People claimed his shooting percentage was unsustainable in the SHL last year, and even the Allsvenskan the season prior.

16/17 Allsvenskan : 19 goals, 107 shots, 17.8%
17/18 SHL(incl. playoffs): 34 goals, 142 shots, 23.9%
18/19 NHL: 25 goals, 94 shots, 26.6%

Total (132 games): 78 goals, 343 shots, 22.7%

He's maintained an abnormally high shooting percentage for 3 seasons now.
Agree. Time after time people on this board look at Pettersons NHL numbers this season in a vacuum, but his previous season in SHL strengthen the case that his numbers this season is not due to fluke. He is not a "new" William Karlsson who scored a lot of goals with a high shooting percentage more or less out of the blue. There is a reason why many people in Sweden thought of Pettersson as the greatest talent since Peter Forsberg even before his rookie season in NHL started.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brock Boeser

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Injuries have nothing to do with it.

-Up until his first injury (October 13th), he had 8 points in 5 games, a hot start for sure, but so did 50% of the league
-From returning up until his 2nd injury (January 3rd), he had 34 points in 33 games
-After returning from his 2nd injury, he has 8 points in 7 games

Aside from a good few games, he's a bit over a point/gp player. Which is incredible for a rookie. But there is no excuse you can make to justify any way that he could increase his production level by 33%+ to be close to what the Art Ross leaders are doing

If you watched him play you’d see his game took a hit from injuries and team injuries. No doubt he’d likely have more points without that.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
He is a 19/20 yo rookie who basically never played C before, entering the league on a tire fire team with major key injuries to begin with playing 1/3 of the games with third liners as his linemates and he’s already fought through two injuries. His high sh% is due to few shots taken, agreed, but also because of an unusual high % top corner goals - I wonder if there’s ever been a player with a higher % top corner goals in their first 25 to be honest. His circumstances has been BAD so far not FORTUNATE. How can anyone call him lucky and downplay his performance?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Except Pettersson had historically high shooting percentages in the SHL last season, and the Allsvenskan in his draft year. He's scored on almost 23% of his shots in his past 3 seasons of hockey. Either he's on the longest hot streak ever, or he's a Tanguay-type shooter, who shoots less often but scores on a higher percentage of his shots.
So someone shooting at a B level league the same as the NHL doesn’t make you think this may be anomalous?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
He is averaging 18 minutes a night I hardly call that lots of ice. Second I would argue he’s acore more if he was behind the twins. Teams game plan for the petey boeser line when they play us and he is still doing what he is doing as a rookie, after breaking all time records as an 18 year old in a men’s league, beating out all time greats. But sure it’s a bunch of lucky bounces and a prolonged hot streak. WAT

I don’t think anyone thinks he will shoot at 27 percent his entire career. But when he develops more and gets a better winger than the revolving door of leivo goldobin loui we will see what happens.
A lot of people directly discussing with me seem to think that this may be his career shoot %.

Usually teams don’t have players perform better at a line 2 level. Even Malkin plays better when Crosby is out.

Honestly, it’s a little ridiculous that you all feel this way. It’s like love is blinding you.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
A lot of people directly discussing with me seem to think that this may be his career shoot %.

Usually teams don’t have players perform better at a line 2 level. Even Malkin plays better when Crosby is out.

Honestly, it’s a little ridiculous that you all feel this way. It’s like love is blinding you.
Its growing to be worse than the original Matthews hype

Hes already beating Matthews in polls lmfao

Reactions: TheKingPin

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Every year players have very high shooting percentages and then come back down. Do you expect Alex Chaisson to have the same percentage next year? Or even half of that?

Well No, but Alex Chiasson isn't EP. Alex Chiasson has never showed any signs of being a player with an elite skillset. Alex Chiasson's high shooting percentage would be an outlier based on his historical play and statistics. The same cannot be said of Pettersson. The point your not understanding is that despite other players not being able to do this or that, EP has the skillset to do so and has proved, as another poster pointed out, for 3 seasons that he can maintain a high shooting percentage. Why is it so difficult to see that he could potentially, be on of the most accurate shooters in the history of the game. The potential for others to do the same exists as well. If this was a Flyers player, would you not be optimistic that it could potentially happen. I say this will all due respect, I think your judgement is being clouded by the fact he is a Canuck or that hes not a flyer.

I absolutely understand what youre trying to say but youre not doing yourself any favors with the examples youre using.

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Except Pettersson had historically high shooting percentages in the SHL last season, and the Allsvenskan in his draft year. He's scored on almost 23% of his shots in his past 3 seasons of hockey. Either he's on the longest hot streak ever, or he's a Tanguay-type shooter, who shoots less often but scores on a higher percentage of his shots.
Exactly! Its because he picks his spots. He only shoots when he feels he has a good chance of scoring and is honest with himself about it. He is a very intelligent player.

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
So someone shooting at a B level league the same as the NHL doesn’t make you think this may be anomalous?
It is anomalous, that's the point. He shot at a percentage no one else had reached in 10 years, in a professional men's league, as a teenager. My point is that people said it was a fluke last year (and even the year before with Timra). How many "fluke" seasons does he need to have before it becomes the norm?

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Its growing to be worse than the original Matthews hype

Hes already beating Matthews in polls lmfao

The potential to be better than Matthews is there. It passes the eye test. Anyone that says otherwise is in complete denial.

There is no hype anymore. He keeps demonstrating he is a very talented player and has an extremely high ceiling.

I really don't seem to understand these boards. The bias and saltiness here is on another level. Who gives a sh*t if player x plays for a hated rival.

Pettersson in my opinion will be better than Matthews in the near future. He already does things better than Matthews in his first NHL season. Is he better than Matthews right now? Hell no!!! He has a way to go and if what he's shown so far is any indication, he definitely has the potential to be a top 5 player in this league maybe even top 3.

People really need to start looking at things objectively.

Also, no he is not my favorite player. He's not even in my top 5. Those would be Leon Draisatl and Aleksander Barkov and Bo Horvat.

pomx

May 15, 2014
This thread after 10 pages

Attachments

• EA668354-93A2-41CB-9C80-4270A0012C32.gif
    EA668354-93A2-41CB-9C80-4270A0012C32.gif
    122.4 KB · Views: 6

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The potential to be better than Matthews is there. It passes the eye test. Anyone that says otherwise is in complete denial.

There is no hype anymore. He keeps demonstrating he is a very talented player and has an extremely high ceiling.

I really don't seem to understand these boards. The bias and saltiness here is on another level. Who gives a sh*t if player x plays for a hated rival.

Pettersson in my opinion will be better than Matthews in the near future. He already does things better than Matthews in his first NHL season. Is he better than Matthews right now? Hell no!!! He has a way to go and if what he's shown so far is any indication, he definitely has the potential to be a top 5 player in this league maybe even top 3.

People really need to start looking at things objectively.

Also, no he is not my favorite player. He's not even in my top 5. Those would be Leon Draisatl and Aleksander Barkov and Bo Horvat.
Pettersson wont hold a candle to Matthews

Its pure nonsense

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018

Its pure nonsense

Why do you hold that opinion?

Passing and playmaking ability goes to Pettersson
Stick handling goes to Pettersson as well, although it might be debatable
Slap shot/wrist shot is fairly even with a ever so slight edge to Matthews
Defensively EP is already amazing and is only going to get better. Matthews I haven't seen enough of to make a determination. TBD
Physical play goes to Matthews
Board play: Pettersson is smarter and Matthews is stronger.
Skating goes to Pettersson

I just don't see the nonsense in it.

You make a claim, which youre entitled to make, but don't support it all. Do you expect people to take your word for it just because you said so?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Well No, but Alex Chiasson isn't EP. Alex Chiasson has never showed any signs of being a player with an elite skillset. Alex Chiasson's high shooting percentage would be an outlier based on his historical play and statistics. The same cannot be said of Pettersson. The point your not understanding is that despite other players not being able to do this or that, EP has the skillset to do so and has proved, as another poster pointed out, for 3 seasons that he can maintain a high shooting percentage. Why is it so difficult to see that he could potentially, be on of the most accurate shooters in the history of the game. The potential for others to do the same exists as well. If this was a Flyers player, would you not be optimistic that it could potentially happen. I say this will all due respect, I think your judgement is being clouded by the fact he is a Canuck or that hes not a flyer.

I absolutely understand what youre trying to say but youre not doing yourself any favors with the examples youre using.

Lol what!? “Why is it so difficult that he could be one of the best shooters in the history of the game?” He’s a rookie. Let’s see him do it for an entire season let alone a career.

It is anomalous, that's the point. He shot at a percentage no one else had reached in 10 years, in a professional men's league, as a teenager. My point is that people said it was a fluke last year (and even the year before with Timra). How many "fluke" seasons does he need to have before it becomes the norm?

Hardly a fluke last year. I was very excited to see him.

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Lol what!? “Why is it so difficult that he could be one of the best shooters in the history of the game?” He’s a rookie. Let’s see him do it for an entire season let alone a career.

Yes, he is a rookie. What does that have to do with anything? As someone already posted, this is 3rd straight season and he's avging 23%. Just because he's a rookie he cant possibly be one of the best? People didn't have too much trouble saying Crosby could be one of the best to every play before he even played his first NHL game. The same was said for Lebron James after a quarter of the season, that he could be as good as some of the greatest to every play. We're just saying he could be the most accurate shooter of all time IF he does maintain this shooting percentage (just one area of overall play).

So if he does do it for a year, you'll change your mind and give credit where its due?

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Why is it so difficult to see that he could potentially, be on of the most accurate shooters in the history of the game. The potential for others to do the same exists as well.

It's a possibility, but it's a poor bet to make.

Would you then also agree that it's also possible that EP is having a career year in his rookie season and he'll never score this many points again?

The next Selanne as it were.

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
It's a possibility, but it's a poor bet to make.

Would you then also agree that it's also possible that EP is having a career year in his rookie season and he'll never score this many points again?

The next Selanne as it were.
Agreed. The likelihood it happens is low.

I don't think this is a career year for him either. He still has minor adjustments to make, he will be getting bigger and stronger as he begins to fill up. Hopefully he doesn't have injuries like he did this year. Hi skills are undeniable. If he is able to do this at this stage in his career, the LIKELIHOOD is he will only get better and produce more.

Now if he had this many points but it was obvious his shot was average, his IQ wasn't as high, his passing was simply acceptable then a case could be made that he likely will not produce at this level again. But its just not the case.

The Selanne thing is an outlier/anomaly. He still had amazing stats in subsequent years.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
There's a good chance that Pettersson will maintain an above average or even elite shooting percentage throughout his career.

There's also a good chance that Pettersson's shooting percentage will be much lower in future years than it is this year.

Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

Reactions: mc1laren

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Agreed. The likelihood it happens is low.

I don't think this is a career year for him either. He still has minor adjustments to make, he will be getting bigger and stronger as he begins to fill up. Hopefully he doesn't have injuries like he did this year. Hi skills are undeniable. If he is able to do this at this stage in his career, the LIKELIHOOD is he will only get better and produce more.

Now if he had this many points but it was obvious his shot was average, his IQ wasn't as high, his passing was simply acceptable then a case could be made that he likely will not produce at this level again. But its just not the case.

The Selanne thing is an outlier/anomaly. He still had amazing stats in subsequent years.

So you agree that this year in an outlier/anomaly for EP?

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula

Its pure nonsense
There is absolutely no prejudice in this statement.
Why do you hold that opinion?
Because it's the poster's mission to chime in on every Pettersson thread with the goal of bashing him. Given his posting history, I would say it's a sense of insecurity that Hischier is not as good as Pettersson that is driving his obsession with downplaying Pettresson's talent.

Reactions: mc1laren

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
as a canuck fan i love in a way that the hyped comparisons keep escalating. who wouldn't want a guy with this type of discussion can even happen, and if you watch him play there are points every game here you do seriously entertain the idea the guy is going to live up to it all.

but these threads are as bad as the matthews threads were. and so now that's something i can't be mad at leafs for anymore. and i kind of regret that. i still want ep to keep being excellent even though that will generate annoying threads and continually diminish my ability to disparage leaf fans. so there's a minor conflict. i'll get over it.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
as a canuck fan i love in a way that the hyped comparisons keep escalating. who wouldn't want a guy with this type of discussion can even happen, and if you watch him play there are points every game here you do seriously entertain the idea the guy is going to live up to it all.

but these threads are as bad as the matthews threads were. and so now that's something i can't be mad at leafs for anymore. and i kind of regret that. i still want ep to keep being excellent even though that will generate annoying threads and continually diminish my ability to disparage leaf fans. so there's a minor conflict. i'll get over it.
And these types of threads are what bring out people to comment against his play

Except those who start said threads are so blind by the awe of Pettersson they cant even wrap their heads around the argument

Ive gone around for about a week or so now explaining in multiple threads how Petterssons not some new breed of shooter and how his % will drop. Never have I stated he was going to fall off or anything of the sort.

Yet comments continually come in about Hischier and about my supposed hatred for Pettersson and everything in between - when in reality i simply cannot stand overhyping players.

I did the same thing with Matthews in his 40-goal rookie year when folks thought he was better than McDavid and so on. And im doing it not with Pettersson’s shooting% and the countless people claiming hes just smart and such a good shooter and it wont lower much.

Threads like these and polls saying Pettersson over everyone in the league are what cause fans of opposing teams to get annoyed of this guy.

They think people are hating on Pettersson when in reality theyre hating on the fanboys.

Reactions: Dialamo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad