Elias Pettersson Milestone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
He may have one of the most accurate shots but if you are implying that this will
Be even with a big drop off he’s still going to have the highest % for a career if he keeps it up. There is no question he’s getting lucky or fortunate.

He has good linemates and gets plenty of ice time on a bad team. That’s usually why rookies score a lot in the first place. If he’s playing behind the twins he’s not scoring that high.
[mod] The ONLY reasons he’s not in the Art Ross race already are two injuries and mediocre offensive support across the roster. Watch some games will you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
1. Horvat gets 20+ min average ice time.. Ep40 gets 17+min avg ive time. Why isnt that effecting EP40?

2. So a Power Play consisting of Hall of Famers and argueably the best passer in this generation (Henrik Sedin) and you dont think Pettersson would have more points this year?
A powerplay that just went 2 for 28 and is ranked 7th worst in the league.

Sedins made Burrows a 35 goals scorer and Kesler a 45 goals scorer 1 year but apparently Pettersson would score less if Sedins are on the team.

Nah, Sedins didn't make Kes a 40+ goal scorer.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Good linemates? Boeser is good but othervise he hasnt played with any top6 ones. Leivo is a toronto reject.

Yes, Boeser is very good.

1. Horvat gets 20+ min average ice time.. Ep40 gets 17+min avg ive time. Why isnt that effecting EP40?

2. So a Power Play consisting of Hall of Famers and argueably the best passer in this generation (Henrik Sedin) and you dont think Pettersson would have more points this year?
A powerplay that just went 2 for 28 and is ranked 7th worst in the league.

Sedins made Burrows a 35 goals scorer and Kesler a 45 goals scorer 1 year but apparently Pettersson would score less if Sedins are on the team.

Yes, just look at the past rookie scoring records. They have high end talent like Crosby, OV, EP and then a few good pieces that are part of the rebuild. They get a lot of PP minutes and 5-5 minutes bc they are the best option. Pretty simple. So many mouths to feed.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Can you post the goals he’s scored you think are lucky?
That’s why I used the term fortunate. His shooting percentage would blow the other top career leaders out of the water. It’s above the mean by a large margin. I don’t think he’s lucky like lottery lucky. He’s one of the most skilled players in the league already. But he’s not going to have this many goals with this many shots again. Or at least not over his career.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
[mod] The ONLY reasons he’s not in the Art Ross race already are two injuries and mediocre offensive support across the roster. Watch some games will you.
He very well could have. My point is he won’t score the same amount of goals with the same shots taken again or at least not multiple seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
He has good linemates and gets plenty of ice time on a bad team. That’s usually why rookies score a lot in the first place. If he’s playing behind the twins he’s not scoring that high.

Good linemates? Boeser, sure, but they only have around 30 games together. Leivo, Goldobin and Eriksson... not even Edmonton would put them on the top line.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
That’s why I used the term fortunate. His shooting percentage would blow the other top career leaders out of the water. It’s above the mean by a large margin. I don’t think he’s lucky like lottery lucky. He’s one of the most skilled players in the league already. But he’s not going to have this many goals with this many shots again. Or at least not over his career.
Okay, but he's a human being. This isn't robot hockey league lol. Looking just at EP, what goals has he scored that are results of luck and fortune? WRT sh% at least. Maybe I'm not understanding.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Okay, but he's a human being. This isn't robot hockey league lol. Looking just at EP, what goals has he scored that are results of luck and fortune? WRT sh% at least. Maybe I'm not understanding.

Haha yea I get that. But it doesn’t work that way. Are you saying he’s going to continue this shooting percentage over his career? Bc that would mean he’s about 50% better than the next guy in terms of percentage points. That means he’s scoring on a lot more shots than he likely will any other year. Call it lucky, fortunate, whatever, but it’s not sustainable. Same if a very skilled forward is scoring below their average. Prob a down year and good time to buy low.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
So much salt... The ONLY reasons he’s not in the Art Ross race already are two injuries and mediocre offensive support across the roster. Watch some games will you.
The only reason he's not in the Art Ross race is because he's not good enough LOL, he might be one day, but not this year.

He's currently 26th in the league in Points/gp. Looking at Kane and McDavid (who both play on garbage teams that are doing worse than the Canucks):

82-game pace:
McDavid = 121
Kane = 120
Pettersson = 91

Not close at all.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
The only reason he's not in the Art Ross race is because he's not good enough LOL, he might be one day, but not this year.

He's currently 26th in the league in Points/gp. Looking at Kane and McDavid (who both play on garbage teams that are doing worse than the Canucks):

82-game pace:
McDavid = 121
Kane = 120
Pettersson = 91

Not close at all.

The point is his game took a huge hit after each injury + his only ”cold streak” happened during a streak of major team injuries playing with Goldobin and Eriksson.

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018

I would argue that just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean its not possible. Its not very likely, but it is absolutely in the realm of possibility. I think EP has shown that he tends to do things others don't think anyone is capable of and since his draft year, he has done nothing but surprise, shock, and awe.

Just saying its a tad bit shortsighted to state he's not going to have this many goals with this many shots. EP is a cerebral player. He doesn't take many shots. Instead he tends to take higher percentage shots and does this very intelligently. If for even a second he thinks that something will disrupt his shot, he wont get it off in time, etc. he wont take it. He'll hang onto the puck and look for another opportunity where he has a higher chance to capitalize.

If you sit at a poker table and only play pair of Aces, Kings, Queens, Jacks, etc your bound to take home some money.

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Sorry, have high blood pressure and this thread has too way too much salt. Byeeeee

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I would argue that just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean its not possible. Its not very likely, but it is absolutely in the realm of possibility. I think EP has shown that he tends to do things others don't think anyone is capable of and since his draft year, he has done nothing but surprise, shock, and awe.

Just saying its a tad bit shortsighted to state he's not going to have this many goals with this many shots. EP is a cerebral player. He doesn't take many shots. Instead he tends to take higher percentage shots and does this very intelligently. If for even a second he thinks that something will disrupt his shot, he wont get it off in time, etc. he wont take it. He'll hang onto the puck and look for another opportunity where he has a higher chance to capitalize.

If you sit at a poker table and only play pair of Aces, Kings, Queens, Jacks, etc your bound to take home some money.

That also like saying bc Matthews scored 4 goals in game 1, he will score 328 goals that year and every year. It’s pretty far above the current best. I can 100% promise this is not going to be his career shooting %.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
That also like saying bc Matthews scored 4 goals in game 1, he will score 328 goals that year and every year. It’s pretty far above the current best. I can 100% promise this is not going to be his career shooting %.
Have fun when your fluke goalie loses calder to pettersson. It is just a lucky winstreak.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
The point is his game took a huge hit after each injury + his only ”cold streak” happened during a streak of major team injuries playing with Goldobin and Eriksson.
Injuries have nothing to do with it.

-Up until his first injury (October 13th), he had 8 points in 5 games, a hot start for sure, but so did 50% of the league
-From returning up until his 2nd injury (January 3rd), he had 34 points in 33 games
-After returning from his 2nd injury, he has 8 points in 7 games

Aside from a good few games, he's a bit over a point/gp player. Which is incredible for a rookie. But there is no excuse you can make to justify any way that he could increase his production level by 33%+ to be close to what the Art Ross leaders are doing

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018

I absolutely agree that this would be difficult to maintain over the course of a career. This, however, does not in any way mean it cant be done this year or the next.

With the Matthews example, it doesn't really fall within the rationale that myself along with many others are proposing. EP has now maintained this percentage for close to 50 games yet you use an example of Matthews and one game. I think that it would be more convincing if you used an example with a similar sample size. Let me know if you agree with me but using a sample size of 50 games, there is a higher probability that the on-pace total is achieved. So if Matthews had 200 goals in 50 games, most people would not blink and eye if someone said Matthews would reach 328 over the course of 82 games.

I think EP has done the same. He has shown that he can keep up this SH percentage for 50 games. I would bet that at the end of the year, it will stay roughly the same. Next year, well, we'll just have to wait and see as it really depends on his development and what teams do to defend against him.

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
I absolutely agree that this would be difficult to maintain over the course of a career. This, however, does not in any way mean it cant be done this year or the next.

With the Matthews example, it doesn't really fall within the rationale that myself along with many others are proposing. EP has now maintained this percentage for close to 50 games yet you use an example of Matthews and one game. I think that it would be more convincing if you used an example with a similar sample size. Let me know if you agree with me but using a sample size of 50 games, there is a higher probability that the on-pace total is achieved. So if Matthews had 200 goals in 50 games, most people would not blink and eye if someone said Matthews would reach 328 over the course of 82 games.

I think EP has done the same. He has shown that he can keep up this SH percentage for 50 games. I would bet that at the end of the year, it will stay roughly the same. Next year, well, we'll just have to wait and see as it really depends on his development and what teams do to defend against him.
It's not just 50 games, though. People claimed his shooting percentage was unsustainable in the SHL last year, and even the Allsvenskan the season prior.

16/17 Allsvenskan : 19 goals, 107 shots, 17.8%
17/18 SHL(incl. playoffs): 34 goals, 142 shots, 23.9%
18/19 NHL: 25 goals, 94 shots, 26.6%

Total (132 games): 78 goals, 343 shots, 22.7%

He's maintained an abnormally high shooting percentage for 3 seasons now.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
It's not just 50 games, though. People claimed his shooting percentage was unsustainable in the SHL last year, and even the Allsvenskan the season prior.

16/17 Allsvenskan : 19 goals, 107 shots, 17.8%
17/18 SHL(incl. playoffs): 34 goals, 142 shots, 23.9%
18/19 NHL: 25 goals, 94 shots, 26.6%

Total (132 games): 78 goals, 343 shots, 22.7%

He's maintained an abnormally high shooting percentage for 3 seasons now.
Maybe.. just maybe he’s going to be one of the most accurate shooters ever?

Reactions: mc1laren

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Every year players have very high shooting percentages and then come back down. Do you expect Alex Chaisson to have the same percentage next year? Or even half of that?

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
Every year players have very high shooting percentages and then come back down. Do you expect Alex Chaisson to have the same percentage next year? Or even half of that?
Except Pettersson had historically high shooting percentages in the SHL last season, and the Allsvenskan in his draft year. He's scored on almost 23% of his shots in his past 3 seasons of hockey. Either he's on the longest hot streak ever, or he's a Tanguay-type shooter, who shoots less often but scores on a higher percentage of his shots.

Reactions: mc1laren and flipp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad