Elias Pettersson Milestone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
It's a possibility, but it's a poor bet to make.

Would you then also agree that it's also possible that EP is having a career year in his rookie season and he'll never score this many points again?

The next Selanne as it were.

Why is it a poor bet to make?

It all depends on the odds, does it not?

Your idea of a next Selänne might equally be a poor bet. And worse, for one thing, this player is from Sweden - not Finland.

Then again, as a Swede with a warchild mother from Finland, it is more or less the same thing.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Have you heard about his shooting %? What a bust.

Last season i got schooled that nico was so much better than pettersson because he was in the nhl.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Have you heard about his shooting %? What a bust.

Last season i got schooled that nico was so much better than pettersson because he was in the nhl.
Well, to be completely honest here, last year the narrative Nico > Pettersson was the norm. Not many would have taken the 5th OA playing in Sweden over the 1st OA playing, and doing well, in the NHL.

Fast forward to now and it's a different story.

Alfapet

Oct 26, 2007
Well, to be completely honest here, last year the narrative Nico > Pettersson was the norm. Not many would have taken the 5th OA playing in Sweden over the 1st OA playing, and doing well, in the NHL.

That narrative was completely fair for natural reasons. Nico was playing in the NHL and did really well. I don't remember anyone saying EP was a bust, but he wasn't proven in the NHL.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden

That was a lazy narrative imo. Plenty of us who follow the SHL pointed out that merely being in the NHL doesn't automatically make you better, it all comes down to league relative performance in the end. Pettersson didn't play in the SHL because he wasn't good enough for an NHL roster, he did it for long term development reasons.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
ooooooooooouuuuuuu yea!!! Pettersson, sooooo nice, sooooo gooood, is this the theme of the thread? lol

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Much better fps here.

cNIUt0x.png

Insane IQ there. Takes a quick peak before but then he stares down Jones the whole way even after releasing the pass, really opening the lane. The vision to hit Horvat right on the tape out of his peripheral vision is pretty special.

Reactions: Canucks5551

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Its growing to be worse than the original Matthews hype

In Vancouver hype is concentrated on Pettersson. The Leafs' hype at least gets a little spread out.

The Leafs have a good team. Toronto fans can hype not only Mathews but Tavares, Marner, Reilly, Kadri, Freddy, team success and, last season, the AHL champions.

Those Canucks' fans have Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat. This season it is easiest, by far, to hype Pettersson. There isn't team or organizational success to be excited about.

Given that there are many sports fans who psychologically want to hype their team and its players and the lack of other directions for Canucks' fans to direct the hype, it seems natural that the hype on Mathews is a little over the top but the hype on Pettersson more so.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
cNIUt0x.png

Insane IQ there. Takes a quick peak before but then he stares down Jones the whole way even after releasing the pass, really opening the lane. The vision to hit Horvat right on the tape out of his peripheral vision is pretty special.
Burns looks like one of those NHL 94 CPU players randomly going about their business. Lol

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
So you agree that this year in an outlier/anomaly for EP?

Looking at his previous two years. Absolutely not. He's progressing along his development curve at a very fast pace.

I would consider this an anomaly if he hadn't torn up the SHL last year and won absolutely everything there was to win in that league. I would consider this an anomaly if he didn't have 2 5 point games in his first 40played. I would have also considered this an anomaly if he didn't get points in each of his first games back from injury.

Without injury, I would not be surprised if her were closer to 100pts over 82 games as opposed to the 90 points he is on pace for now over an 82 game schedule. All this in his first year on an offensively challenged team that was a bottom 3 team the last 3 years and is now in the hunt for a playoff spot.

With what the Canucks look like with him in the lineup and whats hes done for this team rips apart any outlier/anomaly argument.

Players can have great seasons (one hit wonders) but they rarely if ever carry their teams during those seasons. Usually its a byproduct of a stronger team. This isn't the case with EP, he is the driver of offense on the Canucks.

Sorry about the long winded answer there, just wanted to ensure you understood my perspective fully.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Not even joking Pettersson might be the most hyped guy on here since I joined. That includes guys claiming Laine would be scoring 100 goals a season and many more years before that. Just insane. He's 20 not 18. Yes it's been very impressive but comparing his rookie year to guys younger than him is unfair.

The shooting % will come down and in a few years they'll have their own 100 point guy who might pull a Kane and win some trophies. He will never be Greztky or McDavid (nevermind better than him) though, that is delusional

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Not even joking Pettersson might be the most hyped guy on here since I joined. That includes guys claiming Laine would be scoring 100 goals a season and many more years before that. Just insane. He's 20 not 18. Yes it's been very impressive but comparing his rookie year to guys younger than him is unfair.

The shooting % will come down and in a few years they'll have their own 100 point guy who might pull a Kane and win some trophies. He will never be Greztky or McDavid (nevermind better than him) though, that is delusional
Isnt he draft + 1, so there arent that many younger players. I do agree he got a lot of hype and for him to turn into McD level is highly unlikely. However, he is doing a lot better than I expected who was wondering if he was going to survive this long looking like a boy among men. :laugh:

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC

This coming from a Leafs fan I find hilarious.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Isnt he draft + 1, so there arent that many younger players. I do agree he got a lot of hype and for him to turn into McD level is highly unlikely. However, he is doing a lot better than I expected who was wondering if he was going to survive this long looking like a boy among men. :laugh:
Last year was his draft+1 year and he played in Sweden.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Remember when people were saying that Tolvanen is more impressive than Pettersson because the KHL is a much tougher league than the SHL?

I remember :laugh:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Today at the grocery store the check out girl asked me if I’d like to pay with cash or credit.

I replied “Pettersson” and she just rolled her eyes.

I was like - whatever. You obviously don’t get it and will regret not singing this boys praises from the very start.

Last edited:
Reactions: jd22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad