Around the League Thread | Stop f***ing crying, bro, this isn’t Junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanGreenGuy

Aug 28, 2010
Canucks did cap circumvention in the 2011 run and nothing happened.
Could you kindly clarify? Was it when Salo went down and they brought Edler off LTIR with 2 games to go in the regular season? Definitely not the same.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I've talked to lots of folks who feel the same way - one was an old guy with a white beard in a red suit who was rather jolly, another was a giant talking rabbit that was hiding eggs for some reason, another was this girl who had wings and a bag full of teeth which I almost found creepy, another was big and round, totally orange. Another one was an honest lawyer, and another was - yes,, this is true - a dashing accountant.

But everyone else I talked to just laughed in my face when I suggested Vegas wasn't cheating the cap.
Are you tripping balls bro?

Reactions: Paradise Circus

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
tampa with two disallowed goals so far and now florida on the pp after a failed challenge

both of them should have counted imo, especially the second
Both are clear no goal calls. Cooper has just always been enormously whiny. Working the refs was a part of his repertoire for a long time.
I dunno. The first one was iffy IIRC... only saw it once. but the 2nd I agree with. He turned directly into him in the crease.
First one was more obvious. Bob was very clearly impeded, had his equipment tangled up. The 2nd had lighter contact.
Neither of them should've counted imo, and it's a dumb challenge considering the call on the ice.
Stay out of the crease it's rather simple.
Yep. Obvious no goals. While there was a time when no one "knew" what goaltender interference was, the rulings now are remarkably clear and consistent: If there is contact in the crease, it is no goal. In both cases, there was contact with Bob in the crease. No goal call is clear.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Could you kindly clarify? Was it when Salo went down and they brought Edler off LTIR with 2 games to go in the regular season? Definitely not the same.
So I looked up specifically the 2010-11 year, and they were 6% over the cap, which then was about 4 million, which in today's cap would be 5.01 million over the cap.

It's actually 2011-12, when they cranked up the cap circumvention.

Canucks had 80,296,666 in total cap allocations, while the cap was just 64.3 million. Which accounts for 16 million over the cap.

Gillis and Gilman were wizards. Why we let them go for f***ing Jim Benning and Weisbrod who the f*** knows.

VanGreenGuy

Aug 28, 2010
So I looked up specifically the *2010-11 year, and they were 6% over the cap, which then was about 4 million*, which in today's cap would be 5.01 million over the cap.

It's actually 2011-12, when they cranked up the cap circumvention.

Canucks had 80,296,666 in total cap allocations, while the cap was just 64.3 million. Which accounts for 16 million over the cap.

Gillis and Gilman were wizards. Why we let them go for f***ing Jim Benning and Weisbrod who the f*** knows.
I was especially sad to see Gilman go, as the number cruncher he made things happen.

Do those figures take into consideration the way that cap hits are calculated on a daily basis and whatever transactions that Canucks team had (incl. LTIR?)

I can't find a good source of historical transaction data that includes LTIR.

Reactions: WTG

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I was especially sad to see Gilman go, as the number cruncher he made things happen.

Do those figures take into consideration the way that cap hits are calculated on a daily basis and whatever transactions that Canucks team had (incl. LTIR?)

I can't find a good source of historical transaction data that includes LTIR.
Yeah, those figures are really hard to find as well. I was looking for them when you first responded to me. It's very hard to find cap data from that era because capgeek went down.

Paradise Circus

May 27, 2010
YVR
I've talked to lots of folks who feel the same way - one was an old guy with a white beard in a red suit who was rather jolly, another was a giant talking rabbit that was hiding eggs for some reason, another was this girl who had wings and a bag full of teeth which I almost found creepy, another was big and round, totally orange. Another one was an honest lawyer, and another was - yes,, this is true - a dashing accountant.

But everyone else I talked to just laughed in my face when I suggested Vegas wasn't cheating the cap.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Almost all successful entrepreneurs and businesses use loopholes. Good on Vegas to for using it. I wish we had a another top 6 forward and top 4 dman on the roster.

Reactions: Gizmo

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's not a loophole. It's an intentional part of the CBA in order to allow teams to replace players and, in particular, to make the trade deadline interesting. Close the supposed loophole and you will lose almost all trade activity. Which would be boring as hell.

edit: It's also worth noting that there was nothing unusual about Stone's timeline with that injury He should be up with Eichel for icetime lead and he isn't. Last night he only played 16 minutes. He's normally a 19+ minute a night guy in important games and even in game 3 where he did play 21 minutes he was still the 4th or 5th forward in icetime. So relative to the top forwards his time is reduced.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

This could have big implications for the Capitals and the rest of the offseason. If he goes on permanent LTIR, they'll have about 20m in cap space.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
tampa seem like they are fine to me. they've got 12m in cap space to add some depth with stamkos probably leaving

longer term their core is kucherov, point, cirelli, paul, hagel, sergachev, cernak and vasilesky for ~58m. the only contracts that are kind of questionable are cirelli and vasilesky and neither are really that bad. if the cap hits 90m that gives them over 30m to build out the roster. i think they'd be stupid to rebuild now

Reactions: quat and MS

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

This could have big implications for the Capitals and the rest of the offseason. If he goes on permanent LTIR, they'll have about 20m in cap space.

Gives the caps the "out" to have him on LTIR and ensures he gets his money. He's had issues with his back, so it's not a surprise.

I doubt Wash uses the cap space for any "now" moves. Backstrom/Oshie on LTIR, Kuz retained for 50%. Down to Ovy and Carlson who have 2 years left and still just about to begin the Wilson 7 year extension. yikes.. on that one...

Don't expect a signing of something for 6-7 years. Probably only minor pickups of guys who other teams are looking to unload. Maybe one of the NYI guys of JGP, Palmeri, Nelson as an example, types with only a year or 2 left in the $5 mill range. Nothing long term. Just enough to give Ovy some help.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
tampa seem like they are fine to me. they've got 12m in cap space to add some depth with stamkos probably leaving

longer term their core is kucherov, point, cirelli, paul, hagel, sergachev, cernak and vasilesky for ~58m. the only contracts that are kind of questionable are cirelli and vasilesky and neither are really that bad. if the cap hits 90m that gives them over 30m to build out the roster. i think they'd be stupid to rebuild now
Don't have the next wave of Colton Ross type guys right now. gutted virtually an entire draft for Jeannot (5 picks, 1st to 5th rounders over 3 drafts). Opportunity cost there of what else they could have done.
But, that happens to even the best GMs. They thought they saw something in him that would work with their roster, ala Coleman, Goodrow, Hagel and went for it. Not a fit this time.
But, they need to add better depth.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I am praying for a miracle, because that is what it takes for the leafs to win today.
1714494471802.png

Reactions: JAK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad