Elias Pettersson Milestone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Petterson threads are fun cause he's either the one of the best or one of the most overrated depending on whose posting.

In the end he isn't the best player in the league, but he is damn good and the 1C we needed. We can argue for days on what his shooting percentage is going to regress to while arguing it's irrelevant because his TOI may go up and his SOG may go up.

He's elite with top 5 in the game potential, I'm happy with that!

Reactions: dukeofjive and JFG

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
P60 may or may not, but there is no question that it is better than PPG when comparing players with significantly different TOI.

If we are talking the very top end of elite offensive players, it is irrelevant. This is has been dismissed by the vast majority here.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
46th >400:00 5v5 2A/60; 84th >400:00 2A/60

Thank you. If McDavid is indeed 84th in secondary assists then the idea that the best playmakers will always have the most secondary assists is wrong. As others have pointed out secondary assists largely measure the quality of your teammates which McDavid and Pettersson don’t have comparable linemates to a lot of the top players.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Didn't Conor Sheary lead the league couple years ago with like 40-50 games played ?

Not sure if it was primary points though.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Thank you. If McDavid is indeed 84th in secondary assists then the idea that the best playmakers will always have the most secondary assists is wrong. As others have pointed out secondary assists largely measure the quality of your teammates which McDavid and Pettersson don’t have comparable linemates to a lot of the top players.

Wow, nice 50 game sample you have pulled out there.

Look at the stats for the last five years and see how many of the Top Ten 1A scorers are in the Top 20 2A scorers. It is indisputable that, generally speaking, the top playmaking forwards are going to get the most 1As and 2As. There is zero reason to exclude 2nd assists from point totals other than to fit an agenda.

The 2nd assist myth has been debunked many, many times.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Had @zeke seen this?

I’ve seen the P1/60 argument many times to prop up Matthews from the stats watchers. Does it still hold as much weight for Pettersstud?

But seriously, it’s interesting (to me) that Pete is #1 and Marner is #2 as these are the two players I’ve praised at least as much as any other player all season long.

Numbers or no numbers, these two kids are off the charts impactful.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Wow, nice 50 game sample you have pulled out there.

Look at the stats for the last five years and see how many of the Top Ten 1A scorers are in the Top 20 2A scorers. It is indisputable that, generally speaking, the top playmaking forwards are going to get the most 1As and 2As. There is zero reason to exclude 2nd assists from point totals other than to fit an agenda.

It’s simple. 2A primarily measure quality of teammates and teammates change from year to year so you can’t lump up 4 seasons together it would be a worthless analysis that only someone with an agenda would use.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Not everyone ranks them ahead of those two but he certainly does have the potential to be above them. He has played better than Matthews has while playing with a far worse offensive support.

I don't know about that. Matthews most common linemates this year are Marleau, Kapanen, Johnsson, Brown and then Nylander and Hyman. Doesn't Pettersson play with Boeser?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I don't know about that. Matthews most common linemates this year are Marleau, Kapanen, Johnsson, Brown and then Nylander and Hyman. Doesn't Pettersson play with Boeser?
Pettersson production has been as consistent when he plays with Boeser as it/was when Boeser has been out of the lineup entirely with injuries.

Even when it’s been a Josh Lievo, Pettersson gets him on the scoresheet.

Last edited:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
If a rookie was leading the league in p1/60 and played for literally any other team than the Canucks (or Leafs), people would be gushing over him like he was the best thing since sliced bread. Instead, you have threads like this, lol.
Must have missed a lot of posts if you don't think this is happening. If you think people love the Oilers and hate the Canucks specifically that's pretty hilarious considering all the Oilers obtained so many 1st overalls jokes and still fail comments.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Petterson threads are fun cause he's either the one of the best or one of the most overrated depending on whose posting.

In the end he isn't the best player in the league, but he is damn good and the 1C we needed. We can argue for days on what his shooting percentage is going to regress to while arguing it's irrelevant because his TOI may go up and his SOG may go up.

He's elite with top 5 in the game potential, I'm happy with that!
Just be ready for the 'more ice -time doesn't necessarily mean more points 'crowd.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It’s simple. 2A primarily measure quality of teammates and teammates change from year to year so you can’t lump up 4 seasons together it would be a worthless analysis that only someone with an agenda would use.

How do 1As not do the exact same, perhaps to a slightly lesser degree? Why bother counting assists at all?

Mauler

Dec 19, 2015
Pettersson outclasses Mcdavid in teamwork and i think that makes him more decisive in games Pettersson makes his teammates better and i dont think Mcdavid does that he is more of an individual player

Last edited:
Reactions: Windy River

Mauler

Dec 19, 2015
:facepalm: How do you think Maroon and Chiasson went from healthy scratch level players to premier goal scorers?
Well i dont know he clearly has some impact on them but i dont think he does it as well as EP40 when Mcdavid has played for Canada for example he hasnt exactly dominated like in Edmonton and won them tournaments even with playing with better players

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Well i dont know he clearly has some impact on them but i dont think he does it as well as EP40 when Mcdavid has played for Canada for example he hasnt exactly dominated like in Edmonton and won them tournaments even with playing with better players
That's the issue. You think what you want to think with nothing to back it up.

Reactions: Dialamo and Love

bondra

Jan 18, 2019

Yea, Pettersson has dominated when he has been playing for Sweden? Do you have some examples how Pettersson makes his linemates better than McDavid does?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I dont care if he is best or not in NHL (he is not). I just want him to be one of the best Swedes. We realy need a Sundin or Forsberg type of player. It is insane how much i miss Forsberg. Hockey became a bit boring when he left. Maby EP can help a bit.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Pettersson outclasses Mcdavid in teamwork and i think that makes him more decisive in games Pettersson makes his teammates better and i dont think Mcdavid does that he is more of an individual player
I agree that McDavid, clearly, is more of an individual effort player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad