Elias Pettersson Milestone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2017
I dont care if he is best or not in NHL (he is not). I just want him to be one of the best Swedes. We realy need a Sundin or Forsberg type of player. It is insane how much i miss Forsberg. Hockey became a bit boring when he left. Maby EP can help a bit.
A bit? Do you really think theoretically placing a player like EP in Forsberg’s spot would result in less success for Colorado? That team was drives by Roy and Sakic first, then Foppa, then strongly supported. They wouldn’t have done any worse.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
A bit? Do you really think theoretically placing a player like EP in Forsberg’s spot would result in less success for Colorado? That team was drives by Roy and Sakic first, then Foppa, then strongly supported. They wouldn’t have done any worse.
Yeah in that era EP would be dead(especialy with the fantastic support from his teammates when getting targeted). You underrate Forsberg and overrate EP. EP is no Forsberg yet.

Feb 24, 2017
Yeah in that era EP would be dead(especialy with the fantastic support from his teammates when getting targeted). You underrate Forsberg and overrate EP. EP is no Forsberg yet.
EP would be ok because of the support of his teammates. The current Canucks disgust me. The mid 90s Avs had balls. Plus Marc Crawford was a way gutsier coach than that dandy Travis Green.

The evidence is in Steve Moore’s neckbrace.

Reactions: ZEBROA

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
EP would be ok because of the support of his teammates. The current Canucks disgust me. The mid 90s Avs had balls. Plus Marc Crawford was a way gutsier coach than that dandy Travis Green.

"He's such an unselfish player. He's one of those players who would rather make a pretty play and feed somebody else for the goal than score himself."
Former coach Marc Crawford about Forsberg

This is something EP does better , being a little more selfish and shoots when Forsberg would try to pass. But physicaly Forsberg was like a furious badger. And EP is more like a annoyed stick insect.

Feb 24, 2017
"He's such an unselfish player. He's one of those players who would rather make a pretty play and feed somebody else for the goal than score himself."
Former coach Marc Crawford about Forsberg

This is something EP does better , being a little more selfish and shoots when Forsberg would try to pass. But physicaly Forsberg was like a furious badger. And EP is more like a annoyed stick insect.
And this current day game has been neutered, so players need not have foppa’s toughness.

Reactions: ZEBROA

psycat

Oct 25, 2016

You can say a lot of positive things about Pettersson, and as a Swede I have high hopes for his career but a Forsberg caliber of player he is not, likely never will be.

I expect/hope for a Alfredsson type of career. Maybe sprinkled with a Ross, Selke or two. Mind you Alfredsson could very well have a Smythe/Ross aswell.

Honest M

May 11, 2012

Thats not true at all, sakic was a consistent elite player but Forsberg was the clearly the best player and imo best player in the world during peek. I don't see many resemblances in Forsberg and Pettersson. Forsberg very physical and skilled playmaker with an average shot.

Last edited:

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
He will never be Forsberg, ever. EP might become great but in a totally different way. More like Kent Nilsson, great playmaking with a great shot.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
He will never be Forsberg, ever. EP might become great but in a totally different way. More like Kent Nilsson, great playmaking with a great shot.
Yeah he wont be a Forsberg but might have a better career. To early to say.

Reactions: Matte99

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Pettersson has a much better supporting cast it's not even debatable. McDavid has 1 good winger in Drai, sometimes RNH, and usually the other is on their own line being useless due to lack of wing depth so teams double up on McDavid's line. Nucks have also been getting good goaltending which the Oilers have not.

All of that, and Van is only 3 points up on Edmonton and Edmonton has a game in hand. To top it off, Vancouver and more specifically Pettersson has some numbers that imply there is a steep correction coming.

McDavid had to lead the league in scoring two years in a row on a bottom feeder to get the respect he did (one of which he was a year younger than Pettersson is TODAY and had more points). Pettersson played what, 40 games? It takes a hell of a lot more than that to get the respect Van fans seem to think he deserves.
Sometimes Boeser and Leivo/Roussel/Erikson. That's not better.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England

Stupid post, should retract immediately.

No wonder nobody likes Nucks fans, here's a perfect example of why not :facepalm:

Reactions: ScottishCanuck

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015

:laugh:
Do I really need to post the poll from the Avalanche board Sakic vs Forsberg again?? Forsberg won in a landslide.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Pettersson still leads the league in P1/60 (primary points) with 3.01.

Marner is 2nd at 2.73.

Good thing your post has so much context, insight, and opinion. It'd be a shame if you were just posting a very easy to find statistic without kindling any meaningful debate or conversation.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Also it’s funny that yesterday some Leafs fans were justifying the Matthews deal based on his P1/60 and now people are downplaying Pettersson for it.

Is the same group of people? I think that what EP has accomplished so far is amazing.

Interestingly the top 3 in the NHL as far as I know for P1/60 are all on ELCs. The most underpaid players in the NHL are generally on ELCs. Next comes RFAs, but that is starting to be corrected. Problem contracts are almost always UFAs. Almost every team in the league would gladly take Matthews at 11.63. Unlikely that any would want Marleau at 6.25.

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Vancouver hit a homerun. Glad for the canucks and oilers, just wish I had a chance to watch him and McDavid more.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
*5v5 P1/60 - 25SH%, no one around him is even at 20.
Summary: It's well deserved, he's ridiculous. He delivers, he doesn't create and he's already mentally a veteran.

It's a really cool stat, because really, anyone who has watched the Canucks have seen how incredibly important Pettersson is for them to be a legit, offensive threat. It's not a coincidence Pettersson has so many "primary points" as to speak, when you watch him play. He's usually a deliverer, not an upbuilder. He finds the solution and he's a sublime line carrier, if you give him the puck and he's really good at being open for it. He's a great skater, but he sees great value in not always skating straight forward. When he gets the puck, time stops in the Canucks stands.

As for those grumbling about his abnormal shooting percentage, I'll say this. It has only gone up, up and up, every year he has played hockey from junior level and it has been at a shooting percentage you wouldn't believe to be sustainable. 37% in the last SHL playoffs? 22% in the regular season? I'm not kidding. "SHL goalies, pfff!" Then you watch his old highlights. Snipe sublime. Yet here he is, improving his old records, shooting even more accurate, because you know what? He grinds shooting after every practice, apparently he hasn't stopped, because why would he? Because he thinks he's not good enough. He always wants to be better, because he knows he can be.

Apart from his jawdropping hockey IQ, accurate passes, lethal shot whichever variety, elite skating (he was apparently as deceptively fast as any other fast guy, which was seen as one of his "weaknesses"), Datsyukian deking, effective defensive work, you have his maturity at that age, to realize he's only doing his job to the best of his ability. He's on quote enjoying doing his work with his teammates, while understanding the price you have to pay to do it. That's incredibly mature answers from him at that age and that's only a piece of the puzzle, that makes him stand out.

And then add he's so honest and straight in interviews. Canucks reporters are already complaining he's just staring at them, if they ask an especially ignorant or stupid question. Bottom line, I'm sold as a huge homer. He's disrespecting mediocre journalists? And he's Swedish? Awmagod!

When you see his game and he tells you his big idol was Datsyuk, you kind of get why. Only his potential is greater than Datsyuk, because his shot is unbelievable and he seems to have even more vision, I mean... how can you not be a huge fan boy?

Pettersson's ceiling is the best player in the game, his cellar are injuries. I've watched hockey for almost 35 years and I've never been as intrigued by a player as Pettersson. Swedes are never this good, this early, including any Swede entering the league. Pettersson is not the best player in the league, bute he's already making a name for himself in bold letters. His current curve is astonishing, I can really get the "Alien" nickname. He's not the average human in his package.

He might never reach the best, but oh boy is he interesting to watch. When I think of Pettersson, I think of the NES Ice Hockey game from 1987, where he's the slim guy, only he shoots like the fatty, with slim accuracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ainec

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
As for the Forsberg vs Pettersson comparisons, they're not relatable. Forsberg played in the dead hockey era with actual, physical threats as a strategy. Forsberg thrived in that era and had a short career because of it. He was even quoted to refuse to play a less relentless regular season game, because he liked the physical fight. Forsberg couldn't switch off. He refused to lose.

Pettersson vs Forsberg is a terrible comparison. Maybe in terms of game impact and talent they're comparable, but else? They're comparable in passing, vision and hockey IQ, but there the comparisons end, except for nationality. Pettersson has a jaw dropping shot while Forsberg was merely average, Forsberg was very mean on the ice while Pettersson was more of a guy doing his job at his best, etc. They're like magnets in terms of positive and negative traits in examples of Swedish hockey. But I can understand the comparison in terms of performance and skill, only I think Pettersson will be considered the best Swede when he's done.

Reactions: Sayonara77

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
As for the Forsberg vs Pettersson comparisons, they're not relatable. Forsberg played in the dead hockey era with actual, physical threats as a strategy. Forsberg thrived in that era and had a short career because of it. He was even quoted to refuse to play a less relentless regular season game, because he liked the physical fight. Forsberg couldn't switch off. He refused to lose.

Pettersson vs Forsberg is a terrible comparison. Maybe in terms of game impact and talent they're comparable, but else? They're comparable in passing, vision and hockey IQ, but there the comparisons end, except for nationality. Pettersson has a jaw dropping shot while Forsberg was merely average, Forsberg was very mean on the ice while Pettersson was more of a guy doing his job at his best, etc. They're like magnets in terms of positive and negative traits in examples of Swedish hockey. But I can understand the comparison in terms of performance and skill, only I think Pettersson will be considered the best Swede when he's done.
Your view of Pettersson has certainly changed since may.. Granted thats the case for many people on here. I just seem to remember your woes about Pettersson during the WHC, just out of curiosity, what brought you aboard the hype train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad