Elias Pettersson Milestone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Your view of Pettersson has certainly changed since may..
Haha, no kidding! I kept minimal attention to the SHL, watched him get manhandled against French defensemen in the WHC and so on, while he did some quite impressive plays and then got injured. I'm quoting myself stating: "he's very talented, but he's like a mitten in an autumn storm, he needs some years to gain size." Then I watched him dance through the apparent disadvantage of less thinking time for all players on a smaller ice surface, which apparently was an advantage for this scrawny teenager. That's impossible! The rest is history. Can I state I've changed my mind since may 2018, completely?

He's ridiculous. He shouldn't exist, I think he might be an alien. ;) I'm even more keen to watch him in the playoffs, when the game speed is even faster. I have a sense he'll love it. Pettersson likes less thinking time for everybody, because his hunch already seems very precise.

Last edited:
Reactions: JFG and EK47

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Yeah, he might be able to score at the same rate. But he won't be shooting anywhere near 27,6%

I'm having a difficult time understanding why his shooting percentage is discussed as much as it is on these boards.

His shooting percentage will decrease next year as he becomes more comfortable in the league and begins to shoot more. However, its pretty much fact that more shots usually means more goals.

I wouldn't care one bit if his shooting percentage dropped to 10-15% so long as he was scoring more goals.

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
And you know that's temporary, right? In two years when McDavid is still far, far, far better, and Petterson is getting paid marginally less, it won't matter.

And at this point, for the Canucks, it doesn't really matter, because they're not anywhere near ready to contend.

How do you know McDavid will be far far far better in two years? Its likely he will be far better, but how do YOU know for sure?

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm having a difficult time understanding why his shooting percentage is discussed as much as it is on these boards.

His shooting percentage will decrease next year as he becomes more comfortable in the league and begins to shoot more. However, its pretty much fact that more shots usually means more goals.

I wouldn't care one bit if his shooting percentage dropped to 10-15% so long as he was scoring more goals.

87 shots @27.6% has gotten him 24 goals in 43 games which is an average of 2.02 shots per game.

If his shooting percentage drops 10% to 17.6% which is still on the high end he would need to take 136 shots in 43 games to get to 24 goals or in other words up his shooting 1.56 times which is possible but unlikely

If his shooting percentage drops 15% to 12.6% which is still good he would need to take 190 shots to hit 24 goals in 43 games or 4.41 shots per game or take more than double the shots per game now. Possible...maybe....likely....I don’t think so

So the reason his shooting percentage is discussed as much as it seems to be is that for him to replicate his raw goal scoring numbers he’s gonna have to up his shots by quite a bit. I haven’t looked but I don’t think there are many players if any that raised their raw shooting numbers at that rate ever.

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Thats not true at all, sakic was a consistent elite player but Forsberg was the clearly the best player and imo best player in the world during peek. I don't see many resemblances in Forsberg and Pettersson. Forsberg very physical and skilled playmaker with an average shot.

Foppa is one my all time favorites.

However Petterson is less physical, could end up being just as good playmaker with an elite shot.

I don't think the Avs would have been less successful if you were to swap a primes Forsberg with an eventual prime Pettersson.

Whilst I do see the potential in Pettersson to get to that level, he does have a lot of work ahead of him.

Last edited by a moderator:

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
87 shots @27.6% has gotten him 24 goals in 43 games which is an average of 2.02 shots per game.

If his shooting percentage drops 10% to 17.6% which is still on the high end he would need to take 136 shots in 43 games to get to 24 goals or in other words up his shooting 1.56 times which is possible but unlikely

If his shooting percentage drops 15% to 12.6% which is still good he would need to take 190 shots to hit 24 goals in 43 games or 4.41 shots per game or take more than double the shots per game now. Possible...maybe....likely....I don’t think so

So the reason his shooting percentage is discussed as much as it seems to be is that for him to replicate his raw goal scoring numbers he’s gonna have to up his shots by quite a bit. I haven’t looked but I don’t think there are many players if any that raised their raw shooting numbers at that rate ever.

Respectfully,

Wouldn't that imply his shot is getting worse? Looking at his numbers and the eye test which proves he is an elite shooter. Wouldn't it be more accurate to conclude that his shooting percentage, whilst dropping, would not be proportionate to his goal scoring? Not sure if that make sense, let me know if I need to clarify.

Basically what I am saying is that if a player of his caliber takes more shots, he's likely to score more goals. This doesn't mean he will maintain a high shooting percentage like he is now, just that its likely to drop a lot less than is assumed.

Sorry long ass day at work and I'm finally on my coffee break, 10 minutes before end of day.

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
Peteys the kind of guy you need to watch to understand why he’s so hyped. Kids a tumbleweed that’s a threat every time he’s on the ice. What he does on the ice with sub par line mates (aside from Boeser, who’s shot has taken a bit of a dip this year) is reflective of what he will be and is currently. Not his points, or his stats. He’s only going to grow and get better. This isn’t his peak, this is his rookie year.

You need to see what he’s doing to believe.

Reactions: Kreator

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Pettersson is selective with his shots currently, but you can't just go around firing pucks from anywhere and expect 10-15% to go in. He's scoring on an unusually high percentage of his chances, and that won't continue. He won't score more goals by taking more shots on an average shooting percentage unless he doubles his scoring chances. That's a tall order. And that's why it's brought up.

I think you want to suggest the reason his goals would go up is because he maintains all his current goals and chances and simply adds more low percentage shots that would bring down his average but add whatever number ends up going in. But it doesn't really work that way. He hasn't been lucky in the sense his goals have been flukes so far but he has been lucky in the sense that he's managed to get good shots off where they need to be in his chances at an unusual rate. But we know this won't continue. Every goal scorer flubs prime chances and goes on cold streaks. So his shooting percentage will go down regardless of taking more shots. So he'll need to take more and create more chances just to maintain his current goalscoring level.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
As for the Forsberg vs Pettersson comparisons, they're not relatable. Forsberg played in the dead hockey era with actual, physical threats as a strategy. Forsberg thrived in that era and had a short career because of it. He was even quoted to refuse to play a less relentless regular season game, because he liked the physical fight. Forsberg couldn't switch off. He refused to lose.

Pettersson vs Forsberg is a terrible comparison. Maybe in terms of game impact and talent they're comparable, but else? They're comparable in passing, vision and hockey IQ, but there the comparisons end, except for nationality. Pettersson has a jaw dropping shot while Forsberg was merely average, Forsberg was very mean on the ice while Pettersson was more of a guy doing his job at his best, etc. They're like magnets in terms of positive and negative traits in examples of Swedish hockey. But I can understand the comparison in terms of performance and skill, only I think Pettersson will be considered the best Swede when he's done.

Lol. Pettersson will not be a better player than Forsberg, keep dreaming. Also maybe as a 45 year old with one hand he had an average shot.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

I didn't bring it up. I was answering to a guy who said "EP's sh% won't go down as much as people think". Yes it will. He might be able to maintain a 17-19% during his career. But he won't be maintaining anywhere near 28%. Nobody has in the recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad