Elias Pettersson Milestone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Last step is where you stopped trying to be objective. There’s an obvious reason why primary points are valued more than secondary points by everyone who knows what they’re talking about.

I stopped being objective after the 3rd step actually.

I value offensive performance which at the very elite level does not differentiate between primary and secondary.

The best playmaking forwards generally get the most 1As and 2As so there is no need to break it down to try to position a player above another.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
If a rookie was leading the league in p/60 and played for literally any other team than the Canucks (or Leafs), people would be gushing over him like he was the best thing since sliced bread. Instead, you have threads like this, lol.

This is actually true. This stat is VERY impressive, but this thread is full of ridiculously bold claims and inflammatory comments.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I stopped being objective after the 3rd step actually.

I value offensive performance which at the very elite level does not differentiate between primary and secondary.

The best playmaking forwards generally get the most 1As and 2As so there is no need to break it down to try to position a player above another.

How many secondary assists does McDavid have compared to the rest of the league?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
But you won't be shocked if he completes his rookie season over 20% (which is a distinct possibility) ?

It's a statistical quirk and an impressive one. I guess I'd be mildly shocked if he does it.

Here are the guys since 2005 who have shot at 20% or more for 70 or more games with 30 or more goals.

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

So, it happens. Rarely but it does. Hasn't happened twice for anyone.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
If a rookie was leading the league in p1/60 and played for literally any other team than the Canucks (or Leafs), people would be gushing over him like he was the best thing since sliced bread. Instead, you have threads like this, lol.

But that happens because of posts like this:

No, but better than anyone on the Toronto roster. That's what matters.

I wouldn’t trade Pettersson for any other player in the league right now, he’s that good.

McDavid makes over 12x the money Pettey makes

Reactions: Dialamo

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Dude really? He is on an ELC. Given the contracts being given out he is going to be making more than McDavid and likely expiring around the same time as his current deal. I'd trade anyone for McDavid. His contract is a steal and he is clearly the undeniable best player in the league.

Even if contracts were even I think I still wouldn’t trade Pettey for McDavid because Connor has too much baggage from being in Edmonton for too long

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
It's a statistical quirk and an impressive one. I guess I'd be mildly shocked if he does it.

Here are the guys since 2005 who have shot at 20% or more for 70 or more games with 30 or more goals.

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

So, it happens. Rarely but it does. Hasn't happened twice for anyone.

The thing I find interesting there is you don't see any real prolific goal scorers on that list. No Stamkos or Ovechkins on there.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

If McDavid was as good as you’re implying his team wouldn’t be where it is, there I said it. He’s the leader of that team and he’s leading it to the basement. I question his character and intangibles and some Oiler fans have started to do the same. Pettersson on the other hand has almost singlehandedly propelled the Canucks to a playoff team when they should’ve been in the basement. He has a higher P1/60 than McDavid, a Better shot, better hockey sense and better in every way except skating.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If McDavid was as good as you’re implying his team wouldn’t be where it is, there I said it. He’s the leader of that team and he’s leading it to the basement. I question his character and intangibles and some Oiler fans have started to do the same. Pettersson on the other hand has almost singlehandedly propelled the Canucks to a playoff team when they should’ve been in the basement. He has a higher P1/60 than McDavid, a Better shot, better hockey sense and better in every way except skating.

Pettersson has a much better supporting cast it's not even debatable. McDavid has 1 good winger in Drai, sometimes RNH, and usually the other is on their own line being useless due to lack of wing depth so teams double up on McDavid's line. Nucks have also been getting good goaltending which the Oilers have not.

All of that, and Van is only 3 points up on Edmonton and Edmonton has a game in hand. To top it off, Vancouver and more specifically Pettersson has some numbers that imply there is a steep correction coming.

McDavid had to lead the league in scoring two years in a row on a bottom feeder to get the respect he did (one of which he was a year younger than Pettersson is TODAY and had more points). Pettersson played what, 40 games? It takes a hell of a lot more than that to get the respect Van fans seem to think he deserves.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Petterson is 27th in PPG. That is the stat you need to look at when determining who is better. Great for a rookie, but pump the brakes on putting him even close to McDavid.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Petterson is 27th in PPG. That is the stat you need to look at when determining who is better. Great for a rookie, but pump the brakes on putting him even close to McDavid.

Pettersson's icetime is being limited by Green.

You are right about pumping the brakes, but that is not the stat you need to be looking at.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Pettersson has a much better supporting cast it's not even debatable. McDavid has 1 good winger in Drai, sometimes RNH, and usually the other is on their own line being useless due to lack of wing depth so teams double up on McDavid's line. Nucks have also been getting good goaltending which the Oilers have not.

All of that, and Van is only 3 points up on Edmonton and Edmonton has a game in hand. To top it off, Vancouver and more specifically Pettersson has some numbers that imply there is a steep correction coming.

McDavid had to lead the league in scoring two years in a row on a bottom feeder to get the respect he did (one of which he was a year younger than Pettersson is TODAY and had more points). Pettersson played what, 40 games? It takes a hell of a lot more than that to get the respect Van fans seem to think he deserves.

Stopped reading after you said Boeser > Draisaitl is undebatable.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Pettersson's icetime is being limited by Green.

You are right about pumping the brakes, but that is not the stat you need to be looking at.

Nor is P/60 the stat either. He needs more time regardless to try to position him against others. If he is as good as his P/60 makes him out to be, TOI should be irrelevant as it is with the elite offensive forwards in the league.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I don't care how many. It won't change my claim that the best playmaking forwards generally get the most 1As and 2As so differentiating them is irrelevant.

You’re saying if McDavid has 0 secondary assists this year you won’t change your claim?

Here’s a quote from TSN about secondary assists...

One goal is equivalent to one primary assist and one secondary assist. But behaviourally we know this is false. Goals and primary assists are strong indicators of positive offensive impact; secondary assists tend to be extremely noisy and often regress heavily in future periods.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
It remains to be seen. Doubt his sh% will drop as much as some people (in general people who never watch him play) think and his on ice sh% isn’t very high even.

He’s also been recovering from 2 injuries that really affected his play coming back both times. I don’t even think his point totals reflect his play tbh. His level of play this season, outside of the recovery periods and stretches of key team injuries, his level has been at Art Ross/Hart level already.
hes shooting at around 28%

please humor me withhow Pettersson will become the first NHL player to average over 20%. or is lowering almost 33% or more not considered ‘much’ to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad