Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Calder Trophy winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Isn’t he on pace for 82 points this season? Only he’s doing it in a way that some don’t feel is visually reassuring? Am I interpreting this correctly?

Yeah some of us actually watch the games to see how a player is playing and don’t just look at stat totals. :sarcasm:

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Yeah some of us actually watch the games to see how a player is playing and don’t just look at stat totals. :sarcasm:

I see a player that's getting much more defensive attention than last year and yet has still managed to outpace this rookie point totals... from watching the games in case that wasn't clear.

Is there room for improvement? Sure. But considering that they've been swarming him game in and game out, he's faring pretty well.

A side benefit of his drawing so much scrutiny is that his line mates get that much more time and space.

Reactions: I am toxic

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Pettersson is definitely covered more thoroughly this season, and still is managing to put up points on the scoresheet. That's what great players do, they just find a way.

I can't wait until his shots actually start hitting the net. Last year Pettersson couldn't miss, this season his shot is a little off. I can't wait until he gets a little more relaxed and starts to thread the needle again.

Someone posted above that maybe he's conserving his energy to make it through the whole season in hopes of avoiding injury, and burning out. Actually a very good point. Could explain why we haven't seen as many opposing players jockstraps on the ice thus far this season.

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
One thing that annoys me is to see EP doing the forechecking deep into offensive zone, while the two forwards are waiting in the neutral zone. The center should be the one in the neutral zone and one of the forwards should do the forechecking.

I think this is part of the reason he misses the net so often. He's gassed. He is putting to much pressure on himself to be the best forechecker, defender, playmaker, goal scorer and sometimes even goalie and this costs energy, and energy is what you need to have when you focus on a shot. I, actually, would like EP to float more, and to be ready to be explosive on the transition (look at McDavid).

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
One thing that annoys me is to see EP doing the forechecking deep into offensive zone, while the two forwards are waiting in the neutral zone. The center should be the one in the neutral zone and one of the forwards should do the forechecking.

I think this is part of the reason he misses the net so often. He's gassed. He is putting to much pressure on himself to be the best forechecker, defender, playmaker, goal scorer and sometimes even goalie and this costs energy, and energy is what you need to have when you focus on a shot. I, actually, would like EP to float more, and to be ready to be explosive on the transition (look at McDavid).

This is actually pretty observant, and not something I've ever seen anyone on here point out as of yet. He's a true team player and he wants to do everything well, and keep the coach happy -- but yeah, it might very well be the thing that's frustrating him and expending his energy needlessly. He's a great all-round player, but could def stand to float a bit more and let a grinder do the the bulk of the forechecking dirty-work if he wants to be the best offensive player he can be, and put up the kind of points we know he's very capable of.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
This is actually pretty observant, and not something I've ever seen anyone on here point out as of yet. He's a true team player and he wants to do everything well, and keep the coach happy -- but yeah, it might very well be the thing that's frustrating him and expending his energy needlessly. He's a great all-round player, but could def stand to float a bit more and let a grinder do the the bulk of the forechecking dirty-work if he wants to be the best offensive player he can be, and put up the kind of points we know he's very capable of.

Exactly. There is a reason they talk about roles on a team.

Am still trying to decide if the creativity is being coached out of him, or that Montreal injury has had long-term impact, or both. Hasn't seemed the same player since that second injury.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Yep, he scored a hat-trick before that game and then his knee got tangled and never been the same player after that. Almost like EK65 and his injuries.

I think we're really reaching to make a connection like that.

He came back and scored 3 goals and 6 assists in the 9 games following and looked just fine. He's a young player adjusting to the most physical league in the world and with an 82 game schedule and little breaks. It is common for many younger, and older, players to tail off towards the end of an NHL season. It is also common for younger guys to have slow starts to NHL seasons.

The Pettersson that we saw last year with a sky high shooting percentage will not be the Pettersson that we see every night. He said it himself, he needs to adjust his game because defenders are starting to figure him out. It happened to Kesler too in his 41 goal season, except he didn't adapt his game and he became extremely frustrating to watch as he would skate it in and rifle it towards the net only to get it deflected out of play.

Pettersson is putting up points in different ways this season, I personally find it quite impressive how he is doing it as well. He has shown the same amazing stick work, IQ, patience, shot, etc. as he did last year, he's just trying to be more diverse in the execution so that he can be more unpredictable to opposing defenders.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

He came back and scored 3 goals and 6 assists in the 9 games following and looked just fine. He's a young player adjusting to the most physical league in the world and with an 82 game schedule and little breaks. It is common for many younger, and older, players to tail off towards the end of an NHL season. It is also common for younger guys to have slow starts to NHL seasons.

The Pettersson that we saw last year with a sky high shooting percentage will not be the Pettersson that we see every night. He said it himself, he needs to adjust his game because defenders are starting to figure him out. It happened to Kesler too in his 41 goal season, except he didn't adapt his game and he became extremely frustrating to watch as he would skate it in and rifle it towards the net only to get it deflected out of play.

Pettersson is putting up points in different ways this season, I personally find it quite impressive how he is doing it as well. He has shown the same amazing stick work, IQ, patience, shot, etc. as he did last year, he's just trying to be more diverse in the execution so that he can be more unpredictable to opposing defenders.

I'm not seeing it, but I like your take.

Last year, when the puck was on his stick and someone was checking him, he would embarrass them and come out with the puck all by himself, while the defender was left befuddled somewhere else on the ice.

This year, I see him make the safe play, dumping it off to a team mate who isn't under pressure - meaning, exactly what the defender wants.

And it may be intentional, to avoid injury. The problem is, if you don't use it, you may lose it. eg. looked a little rusty when he got fancy in the STL overtime.

Hopefully, you are right, and my eye-test is wrong. Certainly his points totals this season support your take.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015

Last year, when the puck was on his stick and someone was checking him, he would embarrass them and come out with the puck all by himself, while the defender was left befuddled somewhere else on the ice.

This year, I see him make the safe play, dumping it off to a team mate who isn't under pressure - meaning, exactly what the defender wants.

And it may be intentional, to avoid injury. The problem is, if you don't use it, you may lose it. eg. looked a little rusty when he got fancy in the STL overtime.

Hopefully, you are right, and my eye-test is wrong. Certainly his points totals this season support your take.

He could just be rusty? It's only been nine games and hes shown flashes of pre injury last year, which I think is better then last years second half where their would stretches that would last a few games where he was completely ineffective 5 0n 5

He could be conserving himself or focused hard in the offseason on gaining strength and changing his skating and didn't really get a feel for his shot or hands(maybe he needs more time then others to get ready)

Theirs a lot of things to like about Petey so far. His fore checking looks much better, hes not getting pushed off the puck easily and is doing better in board battles down low. Defensively Ive noticed hes deflecting and taking away more pucks and is getting better at handling players in front of the net and along the boards.

Infrequently sometimes he turns into first 2 years in the league Horvat and just puck watches. That along with his faceoffs issues and some of his risks he takes is why Green seems to bench him when we have the lead in the second half of 3rd. I don't agree with it at all, as if we are going to win a cup with this core we cant have them benched f0r 15-20 % of the game. They might as well learn playing in these situations now.

If their is someone to start to worry about its Boeser. His shot has looked off for a year now and his effort level wanes to much for a player who hasn't accomplished anything.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
He could just be rusty? It's only been nine games and hes shown flashes of pre injury last year, which I think is better then last years second half where their would stretches that would last a few games where he was completely ineffective 5 0n 5

He could be conserving himself or focused hard in the offseason on gaining strength and changing his skating and didn't really get a feel for his shot or hands(maybe he needs more time then others to get ready)

Theirs a lot of things to like about Petey so far. His fore checking looks much better, hes not getting pushed off the puck easily and is doing better in board battles down low. Defensively Ive noticed hes deflecting and taking away more pucks and is getting better at handling players in front of the net and along the boards.

Infrequently sometimes he turns into first 2 years in the league Horvat and just puck watches. That along with his faceoffs issues and some of his risks he takes is why Green seems to bench him when we have the lead in the second half of 3rd. I don't agree with it at all, as if we are going to win a cup with this core we cant have them benched f0r 15-20 % of the game. They might as well learn playing in these situations now.

If their is someone to start to worry about its Boeser. His shot has looked off for a year now and his effort level wanes to much for a player who hasn't accomplished anything.

Well said. Particularly the part about Green.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015

Ok keep stats watching. He wasn’t the same player, period.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
He's just saving his one-timers for near the end of the season when the Canucks are hunting for a playoff spot. Opposing teams will just forget he has it until he just pulls it out of his pocket.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Petey himself said that he was looking to pass more in the 2nd half of last season when he shot more in the first half of the season so he's aware of the fact that he's more effective when he's looking for his shot a bit more. He's putting up the points like a superstar player not playing at his best is doing so that's a positive. I think he'll have some breakout games soon.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

So we are at least 2 seasons away from having that guy. He's developing his game in St.Petersburg still.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015

It doesn’t support ****. Pre Kotka he was probably the most special player I’ve seen this decade (save for McDavid maybe), after coming back he’s playing like a normal 1st liner with some upside but nothing really super special about it. The difference in his game/abilities are so obvious that we don’t even need to look at the stats. If the eye test is too damn obvious you don’t get smarter by stats watching but rather the opposite.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
If Boeser wasn't missing the net so much he would have even more assists. He would also have more room to get open and possibly score goals if Boeser was burying more of his chances. Not sure why but Brock is missing the net a lot when he has a quality chance this year. (I realize there are a lot of possible reasons and I don't need to hear them in this case, just pointing out that it is affecting #40's opportunities)

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Elias isn't even playing the best right now also.

And I'm fairly certain that Elias is mad at himself even with three points, he just doesn't smile.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Don’t look now but he’s tied for top 10 in NHL scoring.

And he has not really looked like he’s on top of his game yet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad