Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Calder Trophy winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
elias-pettersson-of-the-vancouver-canucks-poses-with-the-calder-to-picture-id1157032488

Previous threads

Last edited by a moderator:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
i never really felt the need to get validated about our obviously good players being good by mainboarders.

with all this ridiculous young talent playing in canadian markets there's obviously gonna be a few fans who ruin the reputation of everyone else by saying dumb shit.

just enjoy that he's here.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
When CGY was buzzing, Pettersson made some pretty savvy defensive reads. His body position is also underrated.

He also started to hit people along the wall when he needed to.

Slowly, his play gives you hope he can completely round out defensively.

Will be interesting to see his play style evolve as he gets stronger over time. I don't expect him to be the kind of player that will muscle his way to the net, but some additional weight to win board battles and be around the net could add some options to his arsenal.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I’ll have to admit that I’m glad that I was wrong about Pettersson.

I knew that Pettersson was a talented kid, but I wasn’t sure if he’d be able to transition the center position at the NHL level.....especially considering the fact that he played primarily as a winger for the past few seasons before that.

My expectation of Pettersson for this year was that he’d have a rookie year that would be better than Horvat’s, but not as good as Boeser’s.

I didn’t see this one coming at all and I’m so happy about this.

In a few years time when guys like Ovechkin, Crosby, Pat Kane, and Malkin start to fade into the sunset, I really think Pettersson will make a serious case for being the 2nd best forward in the NHL (I don’t think anyone’s going to catch McDavid, but 2nd best will be very much up for grabs in my opinion).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
cause Petey is a drug that makes you feel INVINCIBLE!
:naughty:

Clearly, the Canucks players feel like that as well, and our team would obviously be very different without him.

While Pettersson shouldn’t be considered for the Ted Lindsay award this year (most outstanding player), I do think Pettersson has a case for both the Calder trophy and the Hart trophy (the player judged to be most valuable to his team).

You look at some of the top players in the league, and you’ll realize that their teams would still be pretty decent without *said superstar*.

Pettersson and the Canucks on the other hand.....I’m not so sure. McDavid is an obvious choice as well (and most likely the correct choice), but I think a good argument can be made that the Canucks are more dependent on Pettersson than the Oilers are with McDavid.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
When CGY was buzzing, Pettersson made some pretty savvy defensive reads. His body position is also underrated.

He astarted to hit people along the wall when he needed to.

Slowly, his play gives you hope he can completely round out defensively.

On a routine basis, I watch Pettersson make better defensive decisions than half of our defensive corps. While that may be damning with faint praise given the collection of bodies we have back there, I've definitely noticed his ability to make good snap decisions under pressure, which serves him really well in getting the puck out of danger.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Clearly, the Canucks players feel like that as well, and our team would obviously be very different without him.

While Pettersson shouldn’t be considered for the Ted Lindsay award this year (most outstanding player), I do think Pettersson has a case for both the Calder trophy and the Hart trophy (the player judged to be most valuable to his team).

You look at some of the top players in the league, and you’ll realize that their teams would still be pretty decent without *said superstar*.

Pettersson and the Canucks on the other hand.....I’m not so sure. McDavid is an obvious choice as well (and most likely the correct choice), but I think a good argument can be made that the Canucks are more dependent on Pettersson than the Oilers are with McDavid.

The Orcas is overall a better team than that Ablertan organization of first round pickers.

I highly doubt the league will let Petey even get a sniff of Hart, as much as I think he should at least be mentioned in such conversations. Calder I feel quite optimistic about, but I think they probably gonna give that to Dahlin.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Elias Pettersson
50p in 45 games

Peter Forsberg
50p in 47 games

Crazy

There was an interview with Forsberg yesterday or today on aa Swedish daily where he said that EP's hockey IQ is one of the best if not the best in the NHL.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Why are we the way we are.
There's a puddle of troll posters increasing the number, by freaking out that he's that good, by all the original threads raving about how good he plays as a rookie, monthly breaking some sort of record.
There was an interview with Forsberg yesterday or today on aa Swedish daily where he said that EP's hockey IQ is one of the best if not the best in the NHL.
Yup. Forsberg also mentioned it's not a guarantee he will be successful long term, because of mostly factors of immaturity and becoming a complacent diva that doesn't put the work in, as a talent. "Many can't keep it up after their great rookie season." Well, Pettersson is mature is hell. His drop partying or getting into nonsense that doesn't help him improve his game, is off his books, more than most I would say. He's already a professional. He knows what it takes to win and he seems very focused on that. His job that he loves and he's really, really good at his job.

Last edited:

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
Agree or disagree and why? I think he will and will hoist the Stanley Cup 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->