Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Calder Trophy winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I know its pretty much irrelevant next to how he plays for us for most people, but I love the kids personality too. He's got such an attitude but is super nice to the kids and fans. What more could you want?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
What I really liked to see today was Pettersson's anticipation back to top levels. He was constantly picking off passes or getting to rebounds in his end and then going the other way. That was one of the main reasons he was so dangerous last year, as he was so good at going the other way with the opponent on their heels.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
14 points in his last 9 games, despite not looking like the player he was last year. If this is Petey's sophomore slump, I WEEP FOR THE REST OF THE LEAGUE . Honestly, the Alien finds new ways to amaze me all the time.

Reactions: canuckslover10

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
EP now has 80 points in his first 82 games in the league.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
One thing that annoys me is to see EP doing the forechecking deep into offensive zone, while the two forwards are waiting in the neutral zone. The center should be the one in the neutral zone and one of the forwards should do the forechecking.

I think this is part of the reason he misses the net so often. He's gassed. He is putting to much pressure on himself to be the best forechecker, defender, playmaker, goal scorer and sometimes even goalie and this costs energy, and energy is what you need to have when you focus on a shot. I, actually, would like EP to float more, and to be ready to be explosive on the transition (look at McDavid).

I mentioned that last season when he was in a slump, he also backchecks extremely hard and covers for the defense. I know a coach would never say this in todays nhl so focused on defense, but I would tell him he is counted on to produce offense, his wingers need to support him more on the forecheck and he does not need to play as deep as a D man in his own zone.

He is smart though so he is producing still playing that style.

People also said last season with the unsustainable shooting percentage his goal totals would go down, and as I expected, he had way more to give as far as playmaking ability and racking up assists, the high assist totals do not surprise me.

Reactions: I am toxic

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
He doesn't look anything like the player he was before he was injured by Kotkaniemi. He is using his linemates a lot more which is good, but he just doesn't look dangerous with his shot or have that scoring threat. His play is subtle and nuanced compared to last season when he was undressing veterans every game. This doesn't look like a sophomore slump. Is he injured or cautious? His style looks completely different out there.

Reactions: I am toxic

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He doesn't look anything like the player he was before he was injured by Kotkaniemi. He is using his linemates a lot more which is good, but he just doesn't look dangerous with his shot or have that scoring threat. His play is subtle and nuanced compared to last season when he was undressing veterans every game. This doesn't look like a sophomore slump. Is he injured or cautious? His style looks completely different out there.
Guy is on pace for like 110 points

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Have to disagree. IMO, this is more a matter of how opposing team's defensive play has closed in on him, taking away shooting lanes and giving him way less time to shoot.
So now he's dishing off...still making clever plays, as he piles up the points. He strikes me as the kind of kid who is continually adjusting his play by taking and running with what the other team is giving him. Right now they have to give him the pass option. If they take that option away, then he'll have shooting lanes open up again. Through all this he remains defensively responsible and just seems absolutely committed to getting better.
I love how his game is evolving

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
You need to chill
He literally has 14 pts in 11 games on pace for 104 pts and only one secondary assist

Reactions: Canucks5551

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Guy is on pace for like 110 points

Which Pettersson would you rather have? The pre-injured version that was a consistent scoring threat or this years version that relies so heavily on his linemates?

You think that 5-7 goals every game by the team and Pettersson's overall point streak this season is sustainable? I don't. The Canucks will be tested more as the season develops and the competition gets better. Pettersson is obviously a very smart player and he seems to have adapted, but his linemates are much improved and they carrying a lot of weight.

Reactions: Ben White

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
That is a false choice though. It's the equivalent of asking if we prefer the other team to stick a man on Pettersson or to give him room out there. He is not passing up looks that he got last season, he is simply not getting those looks as he is heavily covered. They are playing him totally different and giving him no chances to get open space, yet hes finding a way to produce while playing amazing in his own end. The Sedins didnt figure out how to produce with defenses bearing down on them for a very long time, while Petey is making the other team pay for creating space for his linemates.

Hes immensely talented and dedicated, but still small and young. And hes producing. The real issue, as I see it, is the opposition is able to play off of Boeser as he hasnt handled the puck well 5 on 5 and hasnt been much of a threat. Once Brock gets going, Pettersson will get his looks and will likely bury them.

Which Pettersson would you rather have? The pre-injured version that was a consistent scoring threat or this years version that relies so heavily on his linemates?

You think that 5-7 goals every game by the team and Pettersson's overall point streak this season is sustainable? I don't. The Canucks will be tested more as the season develops and the competition gets better. Pettersson is obviously a very smart player and he seems to have adapted, but his linemates are much improved and they carrying a lot of weight.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
I think he's kind of reinvented himself to be honest, some are saying he's not the same guy and that's probably true as well. He's just evolving, that type of play he was doing 12 months ago is great and all, but not sustainable. He needed to find his place. We've seen superhuman play from guys like Edler at times but not sustained. The evolved Petey can be sustained which is good news. And it is good news that the guy can evolve so quickly to be honest. I feel like his sophmore slump may have been compressed into the last 1/3 of last season and the first fornight of this season.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

I would rather have the one that’s over PPG

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Petey has a scoring slump and he still has 14 points in 11 games. That seems fine. Opponents still play him like a stapler against paper, he doesn't get the room to shoot - and when he does, he seems to grip the stick a bit too hard. He recognizes when he's so heavily marked, others will get open. Hence the 11 assists. The goals will come, but teammates have to work harder to give him more room. He probably has to figure out how to get to those lanes himself as well.

As I've said, I wasn't the least bit worried about his sophomore year. He's doing fine, the goals will come.

On another note, when I see other prominent shooters in the league, they can just wait for the opportunity to score. Pastrnak, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Hoffman... they just have to wait for it. Not Petey, he's still covered before anything and everything else and his teammates cannot feed his one-timer properly. Boeser needs to wake up to take some heat off Petey's shot.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia

That Pettersson was shooting at an unsustainable rate of around 30 percent. The injury was very minor and he only missed I think 3 games.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
IMO Pettersson has had a slow start, but he's starting to come on now. You can see more confidence and jump in his step and I think this will be clear on the road trip, where he puts his complete game together. The signs have been there, and it looks like he's on the cusp of breaking out.

Scary thought considering he's on pace for 110 points.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Dammit! I've been wrong about players before but Pettersson may take the cake.

From those gazelle ankles to the weak shot...he's taken everybody by surprise.

We're complaining he's had a bad start but he's still over a PPG.

for what it's worth, Pettersson is special.

He's going to lead this team good or bad. He's going to be one of the best Canucks we have ever seen.

Throw your elbow into someone who disrepects you.....just play your game.

:cheers:

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I don't think it's disrespectful to point out that 2019 Petey is playing a different style than 2018 Petey.

He came into the league hot and full of confidence, and that showed in his stick handling and shot. He didn't look like that guy for the first 7 games, but that's likely due to adjusting to opponent's pressure.

He's adjusted, is piling up the points, and I suspect we'll see the gun slingin, ankle breaking Petey back before Christmas.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I don't think it's disrespectful to point out that 2019 Petey is playing a different style than 2018 Petey.

He came into the league hot and full of confidence, and that showed in his stick handling and shot. He didn't look like that guy for the first 7 games, but that's likely due to adjusting to opponent's pressure.

He's adjusted, is piling up the points, and I suspect we'll see the gun slingin, ankle breaking Petey back before Christmas.

Exactly. My god people find creative ways to be pessimistic. This guy is piling up points on a cold streak. He's still the same player and hes only 20. Hes going to destroy this league.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
“Not the same guy” You guys realize that every team this years game plan is to stop Petey? He still is getting his points and playing great defensively. You gotta wonder how often people watch other teams on this board.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
Once he rips a couple low blocker and/or 5 hole, goalies won't be able to keep cheating high glove and he'll starting racking up the goals to go along with the assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad