Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Calder Trophy winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I haven't looked forward to a upcoming Canucks season like this in many years. I'm always generally excited for a new season to begin, but Pettersson has me really pumped. Pettersson is just a treat to watch, he had me standing on my feet many times last season. Probably the most exciting Canuck since Bure. Hopefully the added muscle keeps him from being an easy target.

With Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, Demko, and hopefully Gaudette. This years team "win or lose", should be a treat to watch.

Pettersson is easily the best player to play on the Canucks, even including Bure.

As mentioned he will likely have the best career also barring injury.

Reactions: The Rainman

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I just want to say I'm so hyped for this season and that I find it highly unlikely that Pettersson will have a slumping season. I know I've already stated that, but a hype is a hype and I'm getting restless.

He's so skilled, has worked so hard to become better, has no personal goals besides playing good hockey and has a stronger team around him from last season (that last part was kind of impossible to fail for management). Hopefully a stronger D (well, at least it won't be worse), Markström is hyped to try to win and the wingers have increased alot in depth. This will be huge for both Pettersson and Horvat I think.

No more Leivo or Goldobin in a position above their paygrade. Ferland and Miller feel like much more solid choices. Remember to sacrifice a blood gift to the injury trolls. Let's hope the coach will put Eriksson in a role to roam the net, that's where he can reenergize his game.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Really sucks about Boeser though, I was looking forward to see what they could've done over a full season. Is Virtanen the replacement?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Really sucks about Boeser though, I was looking forward to see what they could've done over a full season. Is Virtanen the replacement?

We don't even know if Boeser is going to miss any regular season. But no Virtanen isn't the replacement. I'd guess if there were a replacement it will be Baertschi. Virtanen seems to be actively playing his way to a new team.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
You know you have a special player on your hands when the kid puts up 4 a point game and it generates almost no discussion on this board. Having a pair of 5 point nights as a rookie will do that I suppose.

Don't think in almost 20 years watching the Sedins I saw either of them take a shot as impressive as the goal scored against the Sens. Unreal how hard this kid can shoot the puck before filling out his physique. Is it conceivable his shot improves from here? Hard to imagine.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You know you have a special player on your hands when the kid puts up 4 a point game and it generates almost no discussion on this board. Having a pair of 5 point nights as a rookie will do that I suppose.

Don't think in almost 20 years watching the Sedins I saw either of them take a shot as impressive as the goal scored against the Sens. Unreal how hard this kid can shoot the puck before filling out his physique. Is it conceivable his shot improves from here? Hard to imagine.
I was more impressed that he was so good in the cardio (bag skate) in camp...Like the Sedins..he oozes leadership..a dedication to his craft.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I was more impressed that he was so good in the cardio (bag skate) in camp...Like the Sedins..he oozes leadership..a dedication to his craft.

I was even more impressed by his recollection of his goals from last season in the interview with James Duthie. Seems to be able to recall every little detail of every goal he scored. Unbelievable memory and awareness on the kid.

Would love to see how Jake Virtanen does on that quiz as a comparison.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/petter...-bulk-shows-off-his-incredible-memory~1787656

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canuck season can be boiled down to the answer to a very simple question, Which Elias Pettersson do we get to start the season? Will it be the Calder winner from the first 60 games of the season, or the kid who was checked into the ice in the last 20 games?

If may be unfair, to put that much pressure and responsibility on a 21 year old kid. But as Pettersson goes, so go the Canucks. That's just the way it is.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
Canuck season can be boiled down to the answer to a very simple question, Which Elias Pettersson do we get to start the season? Will it be the Calder winner from the first 60 games of the season, or the kid who was checked into the ice in the last 20 games?

If may be unfair, to put that much pressure and responsibility on a 21 year old kid. But as Pettersson goes, so go the Canucks. That's just the way it is.

Agreed + Boeser + Markström.

Which should tell us something about the state of nucks' team atm. Dont wanna be a downer as start of last season gave the fans some hope but there is a long way to go.

Well, guess we'll have to relax and enjoy QH highlights this year and hoping EP and Boeser puts up decent show.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pettersson sure appears to wear his frustrations on his sleeve when things aren't well. Let's face it, he's not going to sneak up on any teams this year. They're going to be focused on ways of stopping him, including getting favorable match-ups on the road.

I suspect that the final 20 games of last season are going to be closer to what we see this year than the first 20. He'll still get his pp points, but five-on-five, Green and the Canucks are going to have work harder at getting him away from match-ups designed to shut him down.

Reactions: Chimp

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Sadly being shut off the scoring sheet against Edmonton, that brings an end to Petey's run of always scoring at least a point against Alberta teams in every game he's played against them.

Next up: Seeing if his streak against Calgary will stand.

EDIT: Weeeelp, that didn't go any better. Both streaks are finito.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Agreed + Boeser + Markström.

Which should tell us something about the state of nucks' team atm. Dont wanna be a downer as start of last season gave the fans some hope but there is a long way to go.

Well, guess we'll have to relax and enjoy QH highlights this year and hoping EP and Boeser puts up decent show.

agreed, though I think the other main issue is how Hughes and Meyers fit in.I think we make the playoffs, but those 5 will be the keys. We pretty much know what we have in the rest.

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Pettersson is frustrated, but holy hell has his linemates done absolutely nothing to help him out to win games. Boeser looks like he has just missed the preseason + being concussed, while Ferland looks like a lost dog out there.

Something needs to happen. Switch linemates. Try Miller instead of Ferland and Boeser? He needs to find his competiteveness or change him as well.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Pettersson is frustrated, but holy hell has his linemates done absolutely nothing to help him out to win games. Boeser looks like he has just missed the preseason + being concussed, while Ferland looks like a lost dog out there.

Something needs to happen. Switch linemates. Try Miller instead of Ferland and Boeser? He needs to find his competiteveness or change him as well.
Why trade a first for Miller and not have him on the first line? Pettersson needs other skilled players on his line.

This is exactly why I woulda thrown McDavid money or more at Panarin. I'd much rather overpay for skill than a bunch of redundant parts. Team has 40 bottom-six players and 3-4 legitimate top-six guys.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Why trade a first for Miller and not have him on the first line? Pettersson needs other skilled players on his line.

Agreed.

Ferland plays a hard north south game and crashes the net, should be a better fit with Horvat & Pearson.

Pettersson’s shot seems slightly off, he’s missed the net a lot. Hopefully he gets back that incredible precision he’s shown he has.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad