M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Ben Hutton outscoring him in HALF the games so far

Big time sophmore slump unfortunately this season :(

Reactions: mathonwy

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Reading some of these posts, I really wonder how some would react if Pettersson has the dreaded sophomore jinx, and actually scores at a lower rate than he did as a rookie? Based on his struggles in the last 22 games a year ago, it could happen.

And it doesn't appear that the Canucks hockey braintrust could come to grips with it either.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Reading some of these posts, I really wonder how some would react if Pettersson has the dreaded sophomore jinx, and actually scores at a lower rate than he did as a rookie? Based on his struggles in the last 22 games a year ago, it could happen.

And it doesn't appear that the Canucks hockey braintrust could come to grips with it either.
If he struggles then the Canucks will finish bottom three this season. He's already that important to this team, unfortunately.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

Anyone who was banking on Pettersson being able to carry this trash heap two years in a row was counting their luck, imo. Same with Markstrom, Horvat, etc.

As long as Pettersson doesn't have a DREADFUL sophomore slump, I think it'll be a positive, even if a small one. I would be happy with 55-60 points.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna

Very few Calder winners see an increase in production in their sophomore seasons. It's easier to produce when the book isn't out on you yet, and other teams are focusing on shutting down other players. It's far more likely we see a decrease in production from Pettersson this year, and hopefully people remember that's normal.

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
Just playing around in Excel and I made a thing:
P722036.jpg
kWRAS8P.jpg

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I said much the same this summer when everyone was just assuming a huge bump to 90+ points. And sure, that was possible.

But it was also equally possible that he does a Barzal/Keller and struggles under the extra attention and checking he receives as a sophomore.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
He hasn't been the same to me after that freak accident injury from that idiot Kotkaniemi checking him.

Hopefully EP gets it going. IMO he'll likely break out next season as he will mostly go through a sophomore slump and tight checking this year due to lack of options.

Last edited:

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
I said much the same this summer when everyone was just assuming a huge bump to 90+ points. And sure, that was possible.

But it was also equally possible that he does a Barzal/Keller and struggles under the extra attention and checking he receives as a sophomore.
I'm gonna give him another 5 games and then I guess I'll check back in next november and see if the team still sucks (they will, this core is a years of competent management away from being able to even compete for a goddamn playoff spot).

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I mean the main issue is that to even get a sniff at the playoffs we needed EP to put up like 85 points as we have almost no scoring depth outside of our top line, and if they aren't getting points we're in a really tough spot. It's why the timing of this "playoff push" seems extremely premature.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Teams relying on a 20-year center to put a team on his back and carry it to the 'promised land' are usually doomed to another year in lottery land at the very least. Of course if a single one of Benning's 'foundational players' acquired via the trade or UFA route had actually worked out, then they might have been able to share the scoring burden.

I just hope Pettersson doesn't reach the boiling point when teams check him into the ice, with no backup scoring help behind him in the lineup.

Reactions: timw33

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Pettersson is noticeably stronger and better defensively this season. The points will come. He’s turning into a complete player before our very eyes.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Teams relying on a 20-year center to put a team on his back and carry it to the 'promised land' are usually doomed to another year in lottery land at the very least. Of course if a single one of Benning's 'foundational players' acquired via the trade or UFA route had actually worked out, then they might have been able to share the scoring burden.

I just hope Pettersson doesn't reach the boiling point when teams check him into the ice, with no backup scoring help behind him in the lineup.
There are numerous 20 year olds that have done that over the. All star players mind you except Toews but if Petterson is elite he will. It is a lot to ask but if he is going to be among the best that is the job. if he is Keller then team has more to do.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
He hasn't been the same to me after that freak accident injury from that idiot Kotkaniemi checking him.

Hopefully EP gets it going. IMO he'll likely break out next season as he will mostly go through a sophomore slump and tight checking this year due to lack of options.

Exactly this. Don’t understand people didn’t pay more attention to how he regressed from pre to post that injury. Blaming “long season”, “opposing players started to pay attention” (as if they weren’t doing that already after the insane hype early on), “he just scored cause dmen wasn’t prepared for him to be that good”, “opposing teams started to give him tougher matchups” (as if they wasn’t already focusing on shutting down Pettersson/Boeser from early fall) etc etc. He was simply not the same player coming back. I know it sounds strange to people who didn’t follow him closely all season since the injury wasn’t seemingly all that bad, but it was very apparent. I think he lost his rythm somehow coming back too early when the knee wasn’t 100% and that he somehow got disturbed by that and couldn’t get his rythm back even when fully healed. His game relies so much on timing that it could be an explanation. Pre Kotka he was playing like the best player in the nhl. The hype was real.

Reactions: I am toxic

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Exactly this. Don’t understand people didn’t pay more attention to how he regressed from pre to post that injury. Blaming “long season”, “opposing players started to pay attention” (as if they weren’t doing that already after the insane hype early on), “he just scored cause dmen wasn’t prepared for him to be that good”, “opposing teams started to give him tougher matchups” (as if they wasn’t already focusing on shutting down Pettersson/Boeser from early fall) etc etc. He was simply not the same player coming back. I know it sounds strange to people who didn’t follow him closely all season since the injury wasn’t seemingly all that bad, but it was very apparent. I think he lost his rythm somehow coming back too early when the knee wasn’t 100% and that he somehow got disturbed by that and couldn’t get his rythm back even when fully healed. His game relies so much on timing that it could be an explanation. Pre Kotka he was playing like the best player in the nhl. The hype was real.
I think he will get it back and then some but it might take him like 20 games.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
He's fine. due for a 3pt night soon

he's not getting the bounces and Ferland kind of handicapped that line. Boeser on the otherhand doesnt look good at all

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
This is not a criticism of Petey, just an observation. He seems to be contained emotionally this year. I see his teammates smiling and celebrating a little when they score, but Petey is reigning it in, staying cool. It's great when he does show that emotion - like that goal mouth effort in St. Louis that allowed Bo to score.

I wonder if this is a deliberate thing on his part, conserving his mental and physical energy so that he won't be spent out early like he was last year. It may just be the pressure he's putting on himself. I hope he can relax a little and just go on instinct.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
A hockey season is a long time. I'm as impatient as anybody to see him pop off calder style, but if he's coming around slowly at a point per game pace then its not a bad thing. We know he's got that extra gear, we just don't know when we'll see it at the moment. Maybe he's pacing himself to avoid last season's drop off.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is not a criticism of Petey, just an observation. He seems to be contained emotionally this year. I see his teammates smiling and celebrating a little when they score, but Petey is reigning it in, staying cool. It's great when he does show that emotion - like that goal mouth effort in St. Louis that allowed Bo to score.

I wonder if this is a deliberate thing on his part, conserving his mental and physical energy so that he won't be spent out early like he was last year. It may just be the pressure he's putting on himself. I hope he can relax a little and just go on instinct.

Or he's an Alien.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
He and Brock are having a much harder time getting open ice in the attacking zone, and when they do they're missing the net a whole awful lot of the time. They both used to be so accurate -- the most accurate shots on the team. Love that they're both putting up respectable points, and as long as that is happening no one is going to sound the alarm, but those who aren't just stat-watching can plainly see that neither are on their game. Once they are, WATCH OUT.

Let's hope it happens sooner than later, because we're already 8 games into the season already, and I'm honestly getting a little nervous wondering when we're going to finally see the players we know they can be -- and when that happens how long will they be able to sustain it? I'm not freaking out or anything, but yeah... just a little eyebrow raise...

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Isn’t he on pace for 82 points this season? Only he’s doing it in a way that some don’t feel is visually reassuring? Am I interpreting this correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad