Elias Lindholm vs William Nylander

Which player would you rather have?

• Total voters

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
I would be pretty surprised if Nylander doesn't put up a few 80+ point seasons before his career is over, it's obvious that he's exceptionally talented and that he's not just been some moocher off of Matthews. This season is a write-off points wise, his underlying stats are actually good and things will turn around sooner or later.

Lindholm is having a career year thanks to Gaudreau. If you randomize some top 6 linemates for him he's probably a 55-60 point guy in most cases, so somewhere in between this and the Carolina days.

Reactions: 7even

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Offensively, they are close - slight edge to Lindholm because he's not as much of a perimeter player. Both have excellent catch and release RH shots. Nylander is the better puck carrier, but Lindholm is stronger on the puck, better in the corners, and more willing to go to the high traffic areas.

All around, its Lindholm very easily - he's just the more complete player. Better on the forecheck, better defensively, and more physical. He creates a lot of space for his linemates.

That said, I would be willing to bet that Nylander be right around 55-65 points right now if he were playing with Gaudreau.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
Lindholm looks amazing now but he was given every opportunity to succeed in Carolina when paired up with Aho.
Careerwise Nylander has a far better record despite his recent struggles. scoring 0.69/PPG compared to Lindholms 0.58 while being younger.

Sure you can't disregard this monster season by Lindholm and I don't think he'll ever go back to being a 45 point player, but I do think Nylander would have scored more than that if he had played with Aho.

All in all I think it's very close.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Offensively, they are close - slight edge to Lindholm because he's not as much of a perimeter player. Both have excellent catch and release RH shots. Nylander is the better puck carrier, but Lindholm is stronger on the puck, better in the corners, and more willing to go to the high traffic areas.

All around, its Lindholm very easily - he's just the more complete player. Better on the forecheck, better defensively, and more physical. He creates a lot of space for his linemates.

That said, I would be willing to bet that Nylander be right around 55-65 points right now if he were playing with Gaudreau.
Glad you chimed in for the fact you seem to follow both the Canes and Flames. Interested to hear your opinion on any difference you may notice in Lindholm’s game this year in comparison with his Carolina years. He’s always been a bit puzzling. Talent was always there and you thought he could do this stuff but never seemed to actually do it consistently until now. It was always flashes but never anything sustained for any amount of time. It can’t be as simple as Johnny Gaudreau, can it?

I actually see some similarities between the two and I think this’ll be an interesting debate to revisit down the line.

Reactions: DirtDiver

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
I like how the Nylander apologists gave up on arguing the offensive angle, and are now trying to push his defensive game.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
how hasn't this been locked up yet?
Yeah, quick, close it now that Nylander has been playing well. He stumbled out of the gate but he’s back, and still very much on a good trajectory as a 22 year old.

Leaf haters are probably so disappointed.

If you’re confident in your pick why would you want the thread closed?

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Yeah, quick, close it now that Nylander has been playing well. He stumbled out of the gate but he’s back, and still very much on a good trajectory as a 22 year old.

Leaf haters are probably so disappointed.

If you’re confident in your pick why would you want the thread closed?

Lol
Nylander is not good.
He is over paid.
Terrible defensively.
An enigma offensively.

He will not beat Lindholm, regardless of how long thos poll stays open for.

Reactions: Snowman

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Hasnt he played Auston Matthews most of his career. The only reason hes playing with the 3rd line is cause he cant produce with Matthews so he's been demoted. Who did he play most of his time with in his 60 point seasons?

why would playing with Matthews, who disappears all the time and only racks up points against bad teams, make any difference?

Reactions: JetsHomer

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
why would playing with Matthews, who disappears all the time and only racks up points against bad teams, make any difference?
Nylander and Matthews are cut from the same cloth. However, when you look at guys like Marner, Tavares, Rielly, Kapanen and Andersen, there is a competitive edge there that you’d hope would inspire or rub off on the other two.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
A contract that exists for the next 5+ seasons, just like Nylanders. Who cares how they got the contracts, just that they got those contracts today.

Again, take the player who's far better defensively, outproducing offensively and is making 2M less for the foreseeable future. It's not rocket science here.
Come on... You do not give nylander enough credit...he is as soft as butter

Reactions: Snowman

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Lindholm. For argument sakes, let’s say Nylander is the better offensive player. How much better is he? I project a 70-80pt player.

There’s zero doubt Lindholm is benefiting from playing with Gaudreau and Monahan, but so are they. I think he’s easily capable of 60-65pts away from those guys. He’s also our teams #1 PK’er, one of our best FO guys and likely surpassed Backlund as our best 2-way player. Lindholm is a much better all around player and that’s not debatable and he’s very similar in offensive ability. Factor in his contract and it’s a clear choice to me.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Lol
Nylander is not good.
He is over paid.
Terrible defensively.
An enigma offensively.

I didn’t know you were such a big Nylander fan! Nylander AINEC.

LeafMaple

Feb 3, 2019
Nylander AINEC!!! Not close at all. Lind hold on his best days wishes to be Nylander on his worst

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Lol
Nylander is not good.
He is over paid.
Terrible defensively.
An enigma offensively.

One of the funnier sentences I've read. Like when that friend you have who only casually plays guitar drops $1200 on a new one and justifies it by calling the tone warm and you know that he knows that he doesn't even know what that means.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Nylander AINEC!!! Not close at all. Lind hold on his best days wishes to be Nylander on his worst

Pretty sure Lindholm's 'best of days' just surpassed Nylander's 'best of days' from the past two years 55 games into the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad