Rumor: Ekblad available

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I listened to the entire Oilers Now podcast from today, there was nothing from Stauffer on Ekblad, so someone has to point me in the audio clip direction.

anyone? Anyone??

He's had a lot of concussions. With big contract. Big gamble! Not a good combination.

You need to go read up on Ekblad. A LOT.

It fills the hole in Florida at 2C with a major contributer and helps fill in his position on D with a young, high upside defenseman who will be cheap for a long time.

No thanks.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
oof. could not imagine thinking that
Some fans on this board tend to over-value their players; unfortunately this board is predominantly Canadian so they have that tendency but group think ;)

Edit: This came out wrong: I mean the Canadian skew of the board means that we see bad takes by say TML fans than other fanbases ;)

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Thanks for a reasonable suggestion :) I agree something like that would make sense if we have to move him :) I still find Ekblad more valuable to our team than that offer, but I think it is just the wholepoint. :)

The sad thing is that Myers is only 11 months younger than Ekblad, which shows how insane Ekblad is: he was 3rd in the league in ES points at this age with good defense

Thanks for the respectful response. Again, unless there is a reason you HAVE to move him (owner orders a cut in payroll or something) I can't see a return that right now, on paper, looks good to Fla. You'd be looking at futures that you hope pan out really well and that you win the trade down the road.

I hope you keep him tbh. I like seeing parody in the league so I don't like seeing the rich get richer and the poor get poorer (Ott comes to mind here, their poor fans).

Reactions: violaswallet

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Some fans on this board tend to over-value their players; unfortunately this board is predominantly Canadian so they have that tendency but group think ;)

Edit: This came out wrong: I mean the Canadian skew of the board means that we see bad takes by say TML fans than other fanbases ;)
I'm just in the mindset that unless the winger is OV or Kane, they shouldn't be your highest paid player. Well in the mindset of the leafs, second highest paid but most teams highest paid.

So Marner for Ekblad or Nylander for Ekblad, would've been an easy yes

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
1. Florida is only at 76M after dropping a dime on Bob in the offseason and they are still well short of the actual cap ceiling

2. It is documented that the Panthers are looking to shed salary, this is no false narrative Bourne Notebook: Panthers let their stars down, equipment improvements and more
they are at 60 million against the cap with only 13 players signed. They probably won't end up right against the cap, but they are definitely not going to be a cap floor team. So your assumption is incorrect.

Reactions: Laus723

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Good thing they added Tippett to, uh... even things out.

:laugh: so true. How someone could value a top 30~ winger over a top 20~ D is beyond me.
Plus we throw in our top prospect as well.

Feel Tippett will impress some this year, been pumping his tires for a while.
His floor is 15-20g/40-45pts but his ceiling is 25+ goals/65-70pts if paired with Barkov and Huberdeau.
They will do most of the heavy lifting and Tip will set up in the slot/dots and snipe.

Can't say much about Liljegren, don't watch the Marlies, looks like he's being groomed to be a two way guy now, with Rielly and Sandin on the roster going forward, TL probably won't see a lot of PP time so maybe it's wise to keep him improving his defense, the puck moving ability is already there. I'd say he becomes a 25-30pt #4, some 2nd PP unit time and some 2nd PK time as well.

Reactions: Guttersniped

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
How about Laine for Ekblad? Not necessarily 1 for 1, although each side figures the other should probably add...

:popcorn:

EDIT: Ha, I see there's already a thread on that topic :laugh:

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Bob Stauffer, who is very well connected in Edmonton and has been legitimate rumours wise in the NHL, has said on his show, Oilers Now, that he's heard rumours that Ekblad is available for trade. Take it for what it's worth guys!

Oilers Now with Bob Stauffer | Global News

Quickly listened to the first two segments from today and the bulk of the talk was purely about the Awards voting and haven't heard a Ekblad mention yet. Do you remember who he was talking to when you heard it?

Edit: three segments now and didn't hear anything

Last edited:

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Boeser + Myers + 1st
for Ekblad + Matheson

Matheson to be bought out by Vancouver or later traded with salary retained.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Shifting gears, but what do Florida fans think about this proposal.....

To EDM: Huberdeau

To FLA: Nurse, 14th OA, Puljujarvi

Nurse pairs with Ekblad to form one of the most physically imposing D pairs, Panthers could potentially package 12th OA and 14th OA to move up if they like someone in the 5-8 range (Rossi maybe????), or just stay put and get 2 real good prospects. They also get a project in Puljujarvi who could flourish playing alongside countryman Barlow if given the opportunity. Could also re-sign Haula and pair Pulju with him on the 3rd line to help grow his game.

Oil get a stud LW who compliments Connor’s game perfectly IMO.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Nurse pairs with Ekblad to form one of the most physically imposing D pairs, Panthers could potentially package 12th OA and 14th OA to move up if they like someone in the 5-8 range (Rossi maybe????), or just stay put and get 2 real good prospects. They also get a project in Puljujarvi who could flourish playing alongside countryman Barlow if given the opportunity. Could also re-sign Haula and pair Pulju with him on the 3rd line to help grow his game.

RNH is the main piece in any Huberdeau deal for me.
Nurse doesn't really help the defense, 14th is okay mystery box and Puljujarvi isn't a huge need for us, we have Tippett, Denisenko, Noel and others in the RW depth chart.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No wonder he is open LOL the guy don't try hard enough, isn't a leader and is soft.

The team that will pay for him will regret it, there's a reason Florida wants the #1 OV pick traded
and no PANTHERS i Won't start a debate with you that wouldn't' end,. I just hate Ekblad as a type of player, hate watching him.

Toronto doesn't need a player type like Ekblad, they need a Ekholm.

This debate with you will lead to nowhere, you will defend him and I won't.

Ekblad vs AP
Ekblad-AP.PNG

Ekblad vs Hedman
ekblad-hedman.PNG

Ekblad vs Jones
ekblad-jones.PNG

Ebklad vs Slavin
ekblad-slavin.PNG

Ekblad vs Ekholm
ekblad-ekholm.PNG

FLA had a bottom 5 defense the past two years and arguably don't have another legit top 4 D outside Weegar this year.
Yandle, Matheson and Stralman are all overpaid bottom pair guys. Stillman was a rookie this year and Brown is a 6th/7th guy on the team, likely doesn't even get re-signed.

Think it's your turn to go now. Tell us how he isn't that good?
He outscored every single one of those guys 5 on 5 the last two years combined and was tasked with elite QOC while getting the majority of DZ starts.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Offers with expensive players going back make no sense. Why people are mentioning Nylander and Marner is beyond me.

I’d start with Bouchard, 14th ov, 2021 1st and Puljujarvi. Russell as a dump since real dollars is only 1.5 million 1 year. Cap hit wouldn’t matter to Florida

Puljujarvi for taking Russell than it’s a top end prospect and a pair of 1st. 14 should net a very good player this year.

So Russell is owed 500k less then Ekblad . 2 middle 1st does little to change Florida’s mind . Puljujarvi is a buy low and hope for the best right now so he does very little for the Cats . Oilers don’t have the expendable assets to get involved in a trade for a young number one D

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

The guys averaging a ppg over the last 3 years and is signed to 6 million dollar cap hit for 3 years. Your trading him for scraps basically their is a reason why a team that is weak defensively wants to trade Nurse. The 14th doesn't have a ton of value because it's really a top 10 or 11 draft and then their is a drop off. Poolparty has little value to no value to Florida. Start with one of Broberg or Bouchard and the 14th as a starting point imo.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Not at all the question I was asking which was:

"Any evidence that a single one of these TOR fans offering up Marner was saying Nylander was an overpay a year ago?"

It is a massive fanbase and like every single fanbase in the history of the world, every member does not think exactly alike.

That's just one thread...
Trust me, I watch/pay attention to TOR threads involving Ekblad the last few years.
There's definitely some logical and engaging TOR fans to communicate with on here but a good portion of them always ripped Ekblad.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad