Rumor: Ekblad available

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Bob Stauffer, who is very well connected in Edmonton and has been legitimate rumours wise in the NHL, has said on his show, Oilers Now, that he's heard rumours that Ekblad is available for trade. Take it for what it's worth guys!
He's had a lot of concussions. With big contract. Big gamble! Not a good combination.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
This is a good offer.
Strome is a good young Center with upside
Boqvist has big potential as a solid D Prospect with skill
1st rounder is top 20
The problem with it is the cap space. Maybe we can add DeBrincat with something coming back with Ekblad.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Eriksson is only owed $5m in real cash for the next 2 years while retaining a $6m cap hit. It is actually a valuable contract for a team looking to cut costs.

Matheson is owed $30M in real cash for the next 6 years.

Both players are what they are, a bottom pairing dman / 4th line forward.

Eriksson can actually be a defensive forward and kill penalties whereas Matheson was basically unplayable this year in the playoffs.
Not being as onerous as Matheson’s deal doesn’t make it valuable. I wish people gave up imagining there will be teams who are millions of dollars bellow the 60m cap floor to point they’ll need Eriksson’s contract to make it over the line.

Reactions: Laus723

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Strome, Boqvist, 1st from Chicago?
I wouldn't touch this without a Kirby Dach or DeBrincat coming back. Boqvist and Strome are both flawed players imo. If your trading a number one defenseman you need a quality center piece coming back and I don't think either Boqvist or Strome are that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Bob Stauffer, who is very well connected in Edmonton and has been legitimate rumours wise in the NHL, has said on his show, Oilers Now, that he's heard rumours that Ekblad is available for trade. Take it for what it's worth guys!
Is this like the time OEL was traded for Nurse and Neal?

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I wouldn't touch this without a Kirby Dach or DeBrincat coming back. Boqvist and Strome are both flawed players imo. If your trading a number one defenseman you need a quality center piece coming back and I don't think either Boqvist or Strome are that.
So you’d be okay doing Debrincat, Boqvist and the first? That proposal is being argued on the Hawks board right now.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Do you have something in mind that you think is fair? And also, do you have something in mind that you think is realistic?

No. They move Ekblad and I'm out as a FLA fan after 27 years. He isn't part of the problem at all. He should have been named Captain.

We can't afford to move him, we need to subtract current D (Yandle/Matheson/Stralman - not so much) and bring in another Ekholm/Brodin type D.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
how is this in any way a response to what i pointed out? Bobrovsky is still on the books and getting paid. We spent well over the cap last year.

i don't have the athletic, but I'm gonna go ahead and dismiss the takes of some literal-who with ties to both Sportsnet and the Toronto Marlies but none to Panthers.
It was commentary based on commentary based on a Chris Johnson rumor from Twitter in February at the TDL that Panthers ownership wanted 10m cut from payroll. Zito says they haven’t ask him to do it, so make of it what you will but the new GM isn’t saying that.

Last edited:

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Not that I'm saying he IS available but from a Flyers pov, it would have to be something like Myers (top4 rhd with top pairing potential to replace him), one of Frost/Farabee and a pick.

Unless you are getting a legit top line star forward, I think that would be the best offer we could certainly put on the table and I think it would be one of the best the Panthers would get.

Though I'd much prefer to keep Myers and build the trade around more futures, there is no way we could protect just 4 forwards and 4 dmen in the upcoming entry draft so Myers would have to be included. Also, it's much more palatable for Fla to be getting back a replacement (albeit not on his level yet) to soften the blow of losing Ekblad.

Not certain I like this from a Flyers pov, but if we were in on him I'd expect this kind of package for him

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Not that I'm saying he IS available but from a Flyers pov, it would have to be something like Myers (top4 rhd with top pairing potential to replace him), one of Frost/Farabee and a pick.

Unless you are getting a legit top line star forward, I think that would be the best offer we could certainly put on the table and I think it would be one of the best the Panthers would get.

Though I'd much prefer to keep Myers and build the trade around more futures, there is no way we could protect just 4 forwards and 4 dmen in the upcoming entry draft so Myers would have to be included. Also, it's much more palatable for Fla to be getting back a replacement (albeit not on his level yet) to soften the blow of losing Ekblad.

Not certain I like this from a Flyers pov, but if we were in on him I'd expect this kind of package for him
Thanks for a reasonable suggestion :) I agree something like that would make sense if we have to move him :) I still find Ekblad more valuable to our team than that offer, but I think it is just the wholepoint. :)

The sad thing is that Myers is only 11 months younger than Ekblad, which shows how insane Ekblad is: he was 3rd in the league in ES points at this age with good defense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad