Rumor: Ekblad available

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I was thinking of him in the Stamkos thread. Guy had bad luck with injuries, which didn't allow him to grow. Actually, you couldn't tell he had head injuries based on games played, because he didn't miss many. If he stayes healthy, he has the potential to surprise in the right settings. He's only 24 still. I thought he was 26.

He's a beast right now. No need to hope he surprises.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Unless Marner can play Center and you're assuming that we're signing Pietrangelo, then please don't whine when people give TOR fans shit bc of their solipsism. Even if we swapped Ekblad for Marner to play 2C and signed Pietro at 9m x 7y, we're still taking on an ungodly amount of cap that would make even my own caveats untenable--let alone your original nonsense.
I’m getting the hint FLA fans don’t want anything to do with Marner.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If we had to trade him, Byram is a reasonable piece. (Issue is why we would have to trade him...maybe if Pietroangelo was coming her?)

I think something like Graves+Byram+Kadri(with reasonable re-sign option with Kadri) could reasonably work if we have something in place

Ekblad isn't getting that at all. Byram + Zadorov and a 1st would be the deal as it has always been when players like Ekblad are moved. You maybe get Colorado to throw in a player like Jost or Compher on top. But that would make the package better than what Karlsson got by a large margin.

Kadri and Byram is a package you simply wouldn't see moved for any player realistically.

Top prospect and the 2c for a contender out? Insane.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Offers with expensive players going back make no sense. Why people are mentioning Nylander and Marner is beyond me.

I’d start with Bouchard, 14th ov, 2021 1st and Puljujarvi. Russell as a dump since real dollars is only 1.5 million 1 year. Cap hit wouldn’t matter to Florida

Puljujarvi for taking Russell than it’s a top end prospect and a pair of 1st. 14 should net a very good player this year.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Does Byram + 1st for Ekblad get a conversation started?
Nah, there is not any package that can pay for Barkov or Ekblad due to their great contracts and our lack of good players outside of them + Huberdeau and Weegar.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If we had to trade him, Byram is a reasonable piece. (Issue is why we would have to trade him...maybe if Pietroangelo was coming her?)

I think something like Graves+Byram+Kadri(with reasonable re-sign option with Kadri) could reasonably work if we have something in place
Kadri is 2 years away from UFA so an extension can't really be in place. Nor should Colorado look to move him as it would just put us back in the same situation we were in last offseason with a huge hole at 2C.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I’m getting the hint FLA fans don’t want anything to do with Marner.
I mean we like Marner: that dueling hattrick-esque game against Barky was a lot of fun; we just don't want to give up Ekblad for him with out needs.

Like say if it was Huberdeau, I could see an argument.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
No wonder he is open LOL the guy don't try hard enough, isn't a leader and is soft.

The team that will pay for him will regret it, there's a reason Florida wants the #1 OV pick traded

and no PANTHERS i Won't start a debate with you that wouldn't' end,. I just hate Ekblad as a type of player, hate watching him.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Offers with expensive players going back make no sense. Why people are mentioning Nylander and Marner is beyond me.

I’d start with Bouchard, 14th ov, 2021 1st and Puljujarvi. Russell as a dump since real dollars is only 1.5 million 1 year. Cap hit wouldn’t matter to Florida

Puljujarvi for taking Russell than it’s a top end prospect and a pair of 1st. 14 should net a very good player this year.
We rejected this long ago: Edmonton is not a good trade partner with Florida; you don't have the super high-end future depth (Laf, etc.) nor the pieces today to make it worth it :)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Ekblad isn't getting that at all. Byram + Zadorov and a 1st would be the deal as it has always been when players like Ekblad are moved. You maybe get Colorado to throw in a player like Jost or Compher on top.

Kadri and Byram is a package you simply wouldn't see moved for any player realistically.

Top prospect and the 2c for a contender out? Insane.
Eh, I'm arguing what would make it worth it for us: this is something. As I said before, I only see trades that (a) offer a more elite defenseman, (b) offer an extremely more elite forward, or (c) offering a legitimate top-pairing i.e. 2 defensemen.

The trade I offered is the first that I would do that is not one of them. I agree the Avalanche would not do it; I don;t think there is a trade that we sell Ekblad for that other fanbases wrong.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If it's money Florida needs, you'd have to think that buying out Matheson would be the primary move. Flipping Ekblad would be weird without added context.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
If it's money Florida needs, you'd have to think that buying out Matheson would be the primary move. Flipping Ekblad would be weird without added context.
We could also buyout Matheson out or trade Yandle/Stralman with some retention.... We also have a bunch of money coming off with expiring contracts that we could just not re-sign.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
THEORETICALLY what would Florida be looking for?

Picks? Prospects? Straight player for player swap?

Another Ekblad in return.
No way he is moved imo.
This is just journalists drumming up clicks.

Zito already said everyone is available but to actually trade them is unlikely. He may want to see what the offers are but id say less than 5% he is actually moved.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We could also buyout Matheson out or trade Yandle/Stralman with some retention.... We also have a bunch of money coming off with expiring contracts that we could just not re-sign.
You still gotta ice a hockey team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Eh, I'm arguing what would make it worth it for us: this is something. As I said before, I only see trades that (a) offer a more elite defenseman, (b) offer an extremely more elite forward, or (c) offering a legitimate top-pairing i.e. 2 defensemen.

The trade I offered is the first that I would do that is not one of them. I agree the Avalanche would not do it; I don;t think there is a trade that we sell Ekblad for that other fanbases wrong.

This type of deal never happens though.

If Florida moves Ekblad Byram + 1st would be the value they are getting back and the rest would simply be equating cap between the two.

I'm not as high on Byram as many, but he will be a top pairing defenseman in the NHL barring injury. That is insane value to get back for a player that a team is looking to move on from. And moving Ekblad now would kind of make sense given the NMC is about to hit.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
We rejected this long ago: Edmonton is not a good trade partner with Florida; you don't have the super high-end future depth (Laf, etc.) nor the pieces today to make it worth it :)

Laf? Nobody would move a piece like this. Bouchard is one of the top rd prospects out there. 14 would likely get Quinn or Jarvis. Then there still the 2021 1st. Not saying it’s the best offer you’d get but it you think someone is trading a franchise level player who hasn’t even started his elc contract I think you have set yourself up to be very disappointed

Reactions: TFHockey

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Bob Stauffer, who is very well connected in Edmonton and has been legitimate rumours wise in the NHL, has said on his show, Oilers Now, that he's heard rumours that Ekblad is available for trade. Take it for what it's worth guys!

Doesn't the oiler board call him Baghdad Bob, the minister of misinformation?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
You still gotta ice a hockey team.
Why cut good money? Re-sign cheap players for other positions: we could easily be down to 70M (our GM said we're shooting to be above median in salaries) by calling up Tippett and Denisenko to replace Dady and Hoffman, re-signing Weegar for another year cheap, and signing some mid-tier free-agents? No need to toss the baby (our future and talent) out with the bath water (overpaid defensemen)

This type of deal never happens though.

If Florida moves Ekblad Byram + 1st would be the value they are getting back and the rest would simply be equating cap between the two.

I'm not as high on Byram as many, but he will be a top pairing defenseman in the NHL barring injury. That is insane value to get back for a player that a team is looking to move on from.
Your statements are true if you believe that we are looking to move onto Ekblad; there is not realistic signal that is true :) We don't have extreme financial issues and we have other cap management options: we have 20M of space if we don't re-sign any free agents for example/

All we see our Canadian media speculations that have been contradicted by (a) local media sources and (b) management.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
So do the Rangers. You guys are overloaded at that least important position in hockey and have no depth at the most important.
I suppose you'll trade Lafreniere? or at least Kakko.

More depth than the Panthers do.
We probably will trade one of the wingers eventually, but don't need to do it now. Florida has to do something now, or soon. Win now coach with a win now Goalie, need a shakeup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad