Rumor: Ekblad available

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Lmao, line every rumor from up north, I’ll wait for confirmation down here. There was a rumor we were cutting cap space from up north that was false
I hate these people: they essentially buy rumors and speculation as truth to excite them without clear evidence. Then they don't recognize team needs or reasonable value without thinking through Florida's needs.

It is the definition of irrationality and annoying as a Florida fan who would like to think through reasonable trades...

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Could be a revenue problem and they can't afford to pay Ekblad like Arizona with OEL?
No. Viola routinely loses 8 digits with the Panthers on a yearly basis. I'm sure that cutting the season short by a few home games didn't make that big of a difference. Florida was one of the only teams that was NOT confirmed to have cut anybody's salaries.
How many concussions is he up to? Not trying to get into a problem, legit question.
One in junior, one during the 2016 offseason, one in Spring 2017.
This was already speculated/confirmed by Friedman

He says Florida is under order to shed money from the backend

Ekblad/Matheson/Yandle/ Stralman

He said the other 3 contracts are untradable and that Ekblad will be the most likely candidate.

let the bidding begin.

I'll start, can anyone beat:

Boeser, 2022 non protected 1st, Nils Hoglander, Jett Woo

for

Ekblad
shut

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
This was already speculated/confirmed by Friedman

He says Florida is under order to shed money from the backend

Ekblad/Matheson/Yandle/ Stralman

He said the other 3 contracts are untradable and that Ekblad will be the most likely candidate.

let the bidding begin.

I'll start, can anyone beat:

Boeser, 2022 non protected 1st, Nils Hoglander, Jett Woo

for

Ekblad
No, this is incorrect: This is the comment from him

13. My guess: Zito’s going to be asked about Barkov (no chance), Aaron Ekblad and Jonathan Huberdeau. He’s going to explore moving one of the big tickets on his blue line to create flexibility. All he would answer is, “I’m going to listen to anything. But I’m going to say no to most things.”
He said nothing about Ekblad directly. He did not say that Yandle or Stralman are unmovable; there are rumors we can't trade Matheson (who is probably the worst contract in hockey). There is some

In fact earlier in the article:
10. If there was one thing that surprised Florida GM Bill Zito in our conversation, it was that I’d heard Panthers’ ownership wished to cut payroll.
“No one said that me,” he said after a pause. “That’s news to me.”
What is the mandate, then?
“Moving forward as if they had just acquired the franchise. Make the best, most prudent decision you can for the benefit of of the franchise. Not necessarily for tonight, but for the best interests of the franchise. We’re there with you, and we’re gong to support you.”
(One GM said the Panthers have said they don’t want to make ridiculous deals to simply cut cash, that their moves will have “purpose” to them. )

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Really makes sense for both teams. Leafs might need to retain on MM though to balance the cap difference.
No it doesn't. We are like the Leafs: our best players are on offense. We already have Huberdeau and Barkov upfront who are better/equal to MM.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Really makes sense for both teams. Leafs might need to retain on MM though to balance the cap difference.

Ehh I think it makes a lot more sense for the Leafs than it does the Panthers. Not saying that the values are different between the two players because I think in a vacuum that this is pretty close to a 1v1 trade but that I feel like an Ekbladless Panthers blueline makes something already sort of bad a hell of a lot worse.

Reactions: Luckylarry

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
THEORETICALLY what would Florida be looking for?

Picks? Prospects? Straight player for player swap?
From NJD? No one really that makes sense for you: we would trade him for an insane offensive overpay (Hughes+), an entire top pairing (Pulock or Pelech), or the elite young defenders in the game (Makar, Heiskanen,...)

I don't see what would make sense for us given that defense is our weakness: we don't have a legitimate top 3 defenseman after him (maybe Weegar).

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
No, this is incorrect: This is the comment from him

He said nothing about Ekblad directly. He did not say that Yandle or Stralman are unmovable; there are rumors we can't trade Matheson (who is probably the worst contract in hockey). There is some

In fact earlier in the article:

I'd put my SB Cash on Friedman saying something to effect of "I think he just wants to know the value of his players" if it's brought up during his radio spot on I believe Thursday.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
My guess is that he is not available - but maybe the team of another high profile player who is (Laine, OEL, Pietro, Marner...whoever) had preliminary talks with FLA about a trade and Ekbald was discussed - and from there, someone picked up on "Ekbald is available".

Nathan MacKinnon is not available. But if Edmonton comes calling wanting to trade their #1C - I promise you Colorado listens and has a conversation. It doesn't mean MacKinnon "is available".

Just speculation on my part - but I'd guess this is what happened.
Laine isn't available either. It was confirmed that it was other teams calling about him, not the other way around. And the asking price was supposedly insanely high.

Whether any of that is true or not is impossible to say. First the media makes up a rumour, then squashes it by saying it's other teams that are calling, then revives it again later, and so on. Probably 90% of it is idle speculation.

I really doubt Ekblad is available. That D is garbage without him. His bonus is already paid, so the cost savings would only be $2M minus the replacement cost (at least league minimum), which is nothing.

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
If I were the leafs I’d give a huge amount for him he’s exactly what they need.
Leafs can't provide the value needed here: either you make our D better with 2 legit top 2-3 defensemen (you don't have available) or you super overpay on offensive talent (which would not make sense to you)

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
seems crazy to me that Ekvlad would be a guy to go. You shed salary anywhere else .

I dont buy it. Ekvlad and Barkov have to be untouchabke

Reactions: kerrabria

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
A Marner - Ekblad swap as a basis interests me
This would be money for the Leafs if it happened. Would make them a lot better overall depending on what addons are made to either side.

Unless Marner can play Center and you're assuming that we're signing Pietrangelo, then please don't whine when people give TOR fans shit bc of their solipsism. Even if we swapped Ekblad for Marner to play 2C and signed Pietro at 9m x 7y, we're still taking on an ungodly amount of cap that would make even my own caveats untenable--let alone your original nonsense.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Laine isn't available either. It was confirmed that it was other teams calling about him, not the other way around. And the asking price was supposedly insanely high.

Whether any of that is true or not is impossible to say. First the media makes up a rumour, then squashes it by saying it's other teams that are calling, then revives it again later, and so on. Probably 90% of it is idle speculation.

I really doubt Ekblad is available. That D is garbage without him. His bonus is already paid, so the cost savings would only be $2M minus the replacement cost (at least league minimum), which is nothing.
We also are not in financial trouble, which people forget. Our owner's firm made a killer return (up 70% this year) and we have not cut salary apparently...unlike every Canadian team BUT TML.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Leafs can't provide the value needed here: either you make our D better with 2 legit top 2-3 defensemen (you don't have available) or you super overpay on offensive talent (which would not make sense to you)
I’d go in the middle. Nylander, Sandin, Lilijgren and 15th overall for Eklblad

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I was thinking of him in the Stamkos thread. Guy had bad luck with injuries, which didn't allow him to grow. Actually, you couldn't tell he had head injuries based on games played, because he didn't miss many. If he stayes healthy, he has the potential to surprise in the right settings. He's only 24 still. I thought he was 26.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Does Byram + 1st for Ekblad get a conversation started?
If we had to trade him, Byram is a reasonable piece. (Issue is why we would have to trade him...maybe if Pietroangelo was coming her?)

I think something like Graves+Byram+Kadri(with reasonable re-sign option with Kadri) could reasonably work if we have something in place

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad