Injury Report: EF: Quinn had surgery to repair an Achilles injury (out ~6 months)

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Why would it matter to their draft strategy?

1) Quinn is a roster player and will return this coming season.
2) Anyone we draft isn‘t playing for us this season.
2) We are tripping over forward prospects and forwards options. We have a lot of depth there.

It will definitely impact Quinn’s development and might impact whether they trade VO. But I don’t see how it would matter to their draft strategy.
I’m not saying it’s a sure thing. I’m saying it’s not out of the realm of possibility if they feel that Quinn may not be the same or it’s gonna hurt his development, they may have wanted to take another winger as “insurance” in the future.

This has nothing to do with next season. Quinn is a vital piece to the future and if the Sabres are nervous about where this could lead, Benson is a two way winger similar to Quinn.

Reactions: joshjull

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
my point being its a mistake to rush Kulich when he clearly needs more development, what's the hurry? because pointz!?!

Quinn was one of the younger players who actually understood the defensive side of things, Kulich isn't close to there yet.
He isn't close because he is young or because he actually isn't close. Listening to you it's just because he's 19, not because of his game.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
The 9 game thing only applies to the NHL and is not related to junior status. A player under 20 years old who plays more than 9 NHL games burns the year off their ELC. So if Kulich for example played 10 games for the Sabres last year, his ELC would have started. But he didn't so his contract slides and he still has 3 years left on his ELC. It doesn't matter which league he gets sent to (AHL, CHL, Europe) for this.

The CHL/AHL agreement is separate. Basically players under 20 (with some exceptions) who are drafted out of the CHL are not permitted to play inthe AHL while their junior season is ongoing. But once the junior season ends they are free to go to the AHL. This is how Savoie joined Rochester in the playoffs after the Ice were eliminated. But this year unless the Sabres argue he should be eligible for an exception from Covid weirdness, once the junior season starts he won't be AHL eligible until he's eliminated again. But he is still juniors eligible.

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation. To better understand, I’m wondering (and since Savoie’s Jan. 1 birthday makes him the ideal example for age-rules):

Would that mean Savoie immediately becomes AHL eligible on his 20th birthday (1/1/24)? But until then, is in either junior or the NHL?

Similarly, let’s say he was behind in his development and played 0 nhl games between now and 1/1/24. After that point, he’s over 20. So if the Sabres called him up from juniors and he plays one game, his ELC begins year one. As he’s over 20 and the 9 game rule no longer applies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
One has nothing to do with the other. If your point had any meaning at all, Olofsson would have been great defensively since he debuted in the NHL at 24.
Argument could be made that Olofsson should've been in the AHL longer than just one season to learn more on the defensive side of the game. The allure of the offense of a player sometimes gives us blinders of a player's weakness. The same case can be made about Kulich who has played less professional seasons, and has shown to have a weakness in his defensive game that is much worse than Olofsson's.

The main roster has been structured for the Sabres has now afforded the organization to be patient and actually develop their players on a normal process utilizing their minor team to get ice time, and proper development from their players. There's no longer the "internal need" to use their main roster as a development tool

Love Kulich's offense, but his overall game lacks, and needs to be handled patiently. We don't need Kulich on our roster this season.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Rather now than October.

Yeah I am trying my hardest to be glass half full here. 4-6 months and it's the start of July right now. If PT goes well and condiitoning is still Ok then it could be November, maybe more like January 2024. WAY better than this happening in October or mid season.

Hoping for a FULL and speedy recovery.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Well this is the sort of thing that derails a career. Hopefully he recovers completely, but this is one of the worst bits of news.
I take some solace in that we won't rush him back. Sucks to not get a good season from him on elc this year.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
Man oh man. Poor kid. Wishing him nothing but a full recovery, however long that takes.

Not to overlook the personal side of this, but this does create some intrigue on the roster. Thankfully, Sabres are stacked with forwards, perhaps none as close to a breakout as JQ but still, plenty of bodies at the moment.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
The doom in this thread is laughable.

He will recover absolutely fine for his career and its not even torn. He will be back by Christmas. This does nothing to change expectations of season, especially since Adams found out in June. The Stanley Cup champions were without one of their best players for most of year. This is the GMs job (Should have traded for Toffoli).

Lets not forget how slow Quinn started off last year.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad