Proposal: Tavares and the Hawks make sense

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I doubt Tavares moves given is NMC. No contender can afford him or will want him at the full 11M. Leafs could retain but then they don't gain anything. Retain 50% on Tavares so save 5.5M then spend it on something else. the something else is probably not much better than Tavares.

There are teams that can eat the11M if Toronto throws in enough incentive for them too but will he waive to go there? Who could afford him at 11M Cap hit, that does not have other plans for it.

Hawks, Ducks (probably after real cash bonus paid), Utah- might want to spend that money in UFA market, San Jose (probably wants to bottom out again maybe Tavares keeps them out of the cellar and maybe Mtl. For 1 yr Mtl does not need that cap space, can use Prices LTIR $

Of those the only 2 I see him waiving for are maybe Hawks or Mtl. hawks he gets to play with Bedard and maybe young habs take a step forward.

what would a trade look like, A lot like the Monahan trade Treliving made. Tavares and an asset for not much. Tavares probably better than Monahan but extra 4.25M in cap hit too.

Something around Tavares plus 2026 1st rounder with a player like Dvorak or Athansiou going back fills hole at centre in DVos case in short term on expiring contract frees up almost 7M in capspace toronto can use now.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
For the Leafs it is just about change. Moving Tavares and then Marner in another deal gives them 22M of cap space but more importantly is a massive change to the core. Tavares money can be used to retain guys like Domi and Bertuzzi or get other players like that.
sure I get that the Leafs need a change but JT is only there for one more year and the real need is some good dmen and they might have to trade some younger/better assets for that change.

Also the Black Hawks might just want to sukc one year longer to add to their young core.

that being said even if they added JT they might not win many more games so who knows.

The big thing is that JT has a NMC and I don't see him waving it.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If you had moved back to your hometown to settle in where you wanted to raise your kids, would you really want to go somewhere and leave your family behind for 6 months. I think we would all agree that that's a non-starter.

Reactions: Tarmore

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He isn't waiving his NMC to come to Chicago and Hawks sure as f*** would not be taking his $11M cap hit and doing massive favor for Leafs without a sweetener in deal

Marleau dump cost Leafs a 1st rounder. Hawks would be getting a 1st+ to do this as it would likely require a buyout as Tavares would only waive to Chicago if it leads to him becoming FA
100% agree. The only way the Leafs move JT is if its to a contender and at 50% or greater retention, requiring a 2nd team for retention.

In this scenario, the Leafs are giving up a significant sweetener to move JT.

JT is not waiving for a bottom feeder / rebuilding team.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
On July 2nd, Tavares has 1 season of term and is owed only league minimum salary. The Hawks are desperate for good pros, being willing to overpay guys like Foligno and Perry in order to bring in certain habits to a rebuilding club.

Tavares is not worth 11M but is still a top 6 center and would give them likely 50-70 points, being elite on draws and strong defensively. Gives them a guy who unquestionably works his ass off on and off the ice even if his skills have diminished.

I think there is a fit here even if the Leafs retain a few million to make it work, it might make sense for both clubs just to give the Leafs flexibility and the Hawks it fills a need for them as well.

I think there is a strong fit here even if he comes over with a 7-8M cap hit for 1 season, it gives the Leafs change and cap space to add to the team. The question if the Leafs ask him to waive remains. And of course the return is likely not too much, but I think they will get something in this scenario.
I'm sure he would just at the chance to waive his full NMC for Chicago......LOL

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I'm shocked at the amount of Hawks fans that would be willing to take Tavares without a sweetener and with no retention.
He costs 910k in real money were not spending to the cap anyway. Ill take the 65 points 30 goals. Will give some talent for Bedard to play with on the PP and buy some time for the young prospects. Otherwise you have to go outbid free agents and have term on the deals.

If they want the hawks to take 50% and he wants to go somewhere else. Chicago wants a good sweetener.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He costs 910k in real money were not spending to the cap anyway. Ill take the 65 points 30 goals. Will give some talent for Bedard to play with on the PP and buy some time for the young prospects. Otherwise you have to go outbid free agents and have term on the deals.

If they want the hawks to take 50% and he wants to go somewhere else. Chicago wants a good sweetener.

Providing Leafs a big cap relief has value and Hawks would need to be enticed to take on that cap hit

Very few teams can do that and thus Hawks have leverage in situation to extract something of value

You don't bail teams out and take on contract like Tavares for nothing

And frankly what does Tavares bring to Chicago? He isn't exactly a highly regarded captain and it's not like he has shown much leadership in big moments in Toronto

Reactions: Anantika and TheOne

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Providing Leafs a big cap relief has value and Hawks would need to be enticed to take on that cap hit

Very few teams can do that and thus Hawks have leverage in situation to extract something of value

You don't bail teams out and take on contract like Tavares for nothing

And frankly what does Tavares bring to Chicago? He isn't exactly a highly regarded captain and it's not like he has shown much leadership in big moments in Toronto
No they wouldnt. The player is the enticement. If they can get a 1 year deal for a a 2C that only cost a 910k in real money. (We dont care about his cap hit next year) we take that every time.

Hes not nothing. He had 29 goals 65 points last year. There are 5 free agents this year with more points. How many are going to sign for 1 year.

Reinhart-No
Stamkos-No
Guenztel-No
Marchessault-No
Pavelski-Maybe

It all depends on if he gives a list of teams or has 1 team. Most likely he says nope I am stayin. If he says Im only going to Chicago then you can see how much its worth to Toronto to get that cap.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I just don't know how it's remotely enticing for a long in the tooth player with no Stanley cup and a full no move to waive for a team full on in a rebuild
Which is why he isnt going anywhere. Marner probably isnt either for some of the same reasons. Man Dubas might be the worst GM since Milburry/Dorion.

Would JT consider going back to the Islanders? Maybe Sorokin, Pulock & a first for him. Of course it would have to be a sign & trade because that would be too much for a 1 year rental. Maybe a 5 or 6 year contract but not 8. Remember, he said he always loved being an Islander.
This is it! We have the all time winner! For a player with negative value hahahaha.

If you had moved back to your hometown to settle in where you wanted to raise your kids, would you really want to go somewhere and leave your family behind for 6 months. I think we would all agree that that's a non-starter.
Its about as realistic as him being worth Sorokin, Pulock and a first rounder on top of it.

Reactions: ABCUser and GCK

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It sure as hell doesn't make sense for JT. Waive his NMC for a cellar dwelling team, yank his kids out of school, and leave his hometown?

Reactions: GCK and Tarmore

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
100% agree. The only way the Leafs move JT is if its to a contender and at 50% or greater retention, requiring a 2nd team for retention.

In this scenario, the Leafs are giving up a significant sweetener to move JT.

JT is not waiving for a bottom feeder / rebuilding team.
Why would the Leafs be paying the sweetener in this case?

Say Toronto retains $3M and the middle team retains $3M. The contender now has him at $5M/season. If it's after July 1, it's under half a million in actual dollars.

The team acquiring him would not only give something to the Leafs, but something to the middle team as well.

He isn't some unplayable scrub at this point in his career. He would be a serviceable 2C, but awesome 3C on a contender. $5M per is totally worth it.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I could only really see Tavares waiving to Chicago for a buyout. Big cap hit this year, very small next season.

Then he can choose where he wants to go to chase a cup at a greatly reduced cap hit.

That means trading him around the draft. If I’m Chicago I’m asking for a first round pick at a minimum

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You don't think the Leafs will take him back if he's willing to take a 50% pay cut?
Not even at Leage minimum

We are talking about a career 49 pt player in the playoffs as a leaf

He cant PK, he cant play on PP besides some tap ins front of the net (very rare now)

Maybe he bounces back in another system.

He is 100% done in toronto if our GM wants to win and make up for Dubas mistakes

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Why would Tavares leave Toronto now?

I could see next year if the Leafs say they don't want him back at any price but now?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Why would Tavares leave Toronto now?

I could see next year if the Leafs say they don't want him back at any price but now?
Basically the Leafs management flat out tell him: "we do not want you here anymore, I'm sorry. We need to blow up this team while still keeping it a playoff team, and that includes moving you somewhere else as well as trading Marner somewhere else. If you refuse to waive your clause, you aren't going to be a captain or assistant captain. We know you have a legal right to force us to keep you, but the team DOES NOT WANT YOU HERE anymore."

I assume that the majority of players would give the GM 1 or 2 or 3 teams that he's willing to go to at that point. Maybe some players say "F you I'm not waiving". For me, it would feel kind of weird to play somewhere that the team management had no interest in me being there and had a zero percent chance of giving me a new contract. I'd prefer to go somewhere that actually wanted me. Everybody's different, though.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Basically the Leafs management flat out tell him: "we do not want you here anymore, I'm sorry. We need to blow up this team while still keeping it a playoff team, and that includes moving you somewhere else as well as trading Marner somewhere else. If you refuse to waive your clause, you aren't going to be a captain or assistant captain. We know you have a legal right to force us to keep you, but the team DOES NOT WANT YOU HERE anymore."

I assume that the majority of players would give the GM 1 or 2 or 3 teams that he's willing to go to at that point. Maybe some players say "F you I'm not waiving". For me, it would feel kind of weird to play somewhere that the team management had no interest in me being there and had a zero percent chance of giving me a new contract. I'd prefer to go somewhere that actually wanted me. Everybody's different, though.

Sure, but even in that situation he can pick his spot and I'm sure he'd want something much better than Chicago right now.

Do Leafs trade him if he says "Panthers or Bruins"

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Sure, but even in that situation he can pick his spot and I'm sure he'd want something much better than Chicago right now.

Do Leafs trade him if he says "Panthers or Bruins"
Leafs come back and say "we called both of those teams and they told us that they don't want to trade for you and have zero interest."
I think at that point, more than 50% of people would choose a few more teams for the Leafs to call. Especially if it's a 1 year contract.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
If the Hawks take Tavares and Marner they'll make the playoffs next season.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I'm sure we'll find out soon enough if tml brass asked jt or marner to waive nmc.

to chicago ; why not ? They will probably turn things around sooner than we think .

they can probably offer him one last generous contract (7 mil x 5 years for example)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad