Injury Report: EF: Quinn had surgery to repair an Achilles injury (out ~6 months)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
That sucks. Given his development trends/pattern, I was expecting some good growth from him this year, but that's probably gonna set him back.

I guess that opens things up a bit in camp, though, since we'll have an extra slot to fill.

Reactions: old kummelweck

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Very unfortunate, but sounds like he’ll be back by December/January. Also - this situation is exactly why it’s beneficial the Sabres have stocked up on scoring talent. Any chance we see Kulich or Savoie called up?

Reactions: Der Jaeger

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I tore my Achilles when I was 23. Was never the same. I know a lot of guys have come back from it, but not everyone does. This sucks.
Yeah I don’t want to be super negative but that’s a brutal injury in a massive development year. Benson is an awesome pick but I truly wonder if Quinn’s injury and their outlook on it changed Adams’ mind about trading back and taking D.

Reactions: HOOats and stokes84

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Can someone clarify?

The 9 game thing is just for the players stuck at either junior/NHL (AHL ineligible). But Savoie went to the Amerks at the end of the season, so he’s done with juniors, no?
The 9 game thing only applies to the NHL and is not related to junior status. A player under 20 years old who plays more than 9 NHL games burns the year off their ELC. So if Kulich for example played 10 games for the Sabres last year, his ELC would have started. But he didn't so his contract slides and he still has 3 years left on his ELC. It doesn't matter which league he gets sent to (AHL, CHL, Europe) for this.

The CHL/AHL agreement is separate. Basically players under 20 (with some exceptions) who are drafted out of the CHL are not permitted to play inthe AHL while their junior season is ongoing. But once the junior season ends they are free to go to the AHL. This is how Savoie joined Rochester in the playoffs after the Ice were eliminated. But this year unless the Sabres argue he should be eligible for an exception from Covid weirdness, once the junior season starts he won't be AHL eligible until he's eliminated again. But he is still juniors eligible.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah I don’t want to be super negative but that’s a brutal injury in a massive development year. Benson is an awesome pick but I truly wonder if Quinn’s injury and their outlook on it changed Adams’ mind about trading back and taking D.
I very much doubt it.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Dammit. This one hurts. At least it happened a few months before the season starts to get a head start on recovery time and gives Adams a chance to make a move if he feels it's necessary.
yeah this may mean we make one more FWD move than we all thought

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Well, the LW log Jam of Skinner - Quinn- Mitts- Greenway -Girgs just resolved itself to start the year. Im guessing they try Mitts at that spot first.

Reactions: Kulich Man

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Give me Kulich on the opening night roster then. Find space for him and Savoie and let them earn the spots for the season. Rousek can always be 13th F.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Well that sucks.

Really hope this doesn’t keep them from trading Olofsson. Trying to look at the bright side I was hoping they would use this as an opportunity to maybe get another young prospect into the lineup instead. But now y’all got me nervous they’ll just keep VO.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Give me Kulich on the opening night roster then. Find space for him and Savoie and let them earn the spots for the season. Rousek can always be 13th F.
Kulich needs more development, he's 19, last thing we want is to just turn him into another Olofsson.

Get another adult in the room, can't just fast forward this next wave of kids.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I tore my Achilles when I was 23. Was never the same. I know a lot of guys have come back from it, but not everyone does. This sucks.
Really tough injury to overcome. Hinders athleticism. Apparently a lot of people don't get surgery anymore for these. Wonder how he did it?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Kulich needs more development, he's 19, last thing we want is to just turn him into another Olofsson.

Get another adult in the room, can't just fast forward this next wave of kids.
One has nothing to do with the other. If your point had any meaning at all, Olofsson would have been great defensively since he debuted in the NHL at 24.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Why would it matter to their draft strategy?

1) Quinn is a roster player and will return this coming season.
2) Anyone we draft isn‘t playing for us this season.
2) We are tripping over forward prospects and forwards options. We have a lot of depth there.

It will definitely impact Quinn’s development and might impact whether they trade VO. But I don’t see how it would matter to their draft strategy.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
One has nothing to do with the other. If your point had any meaning at all, Olofsson would have been great defensively since he debuted in the NHL at 24.
my point being its a mistake to rush Kulich when he clearly needs more development, what's the hurry? because pointz!?!

Quinn was one of the younger players who actually understood the defensive side of things, Kulich isn't close to there yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad