Prospect Info: Eeli Tolvanen

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So every junior player needs to adjust to North American ice
No but I'm one that thinks actually adjusting to the ice itself is such an overused excuse. It's not the dimensions of the ice that causes problems, its adjusting to playing the game at a speed that is faster within that space.

It's why I said one is not independent of the other, because you aren't just adjusting to one of the two but both at the same time.

Reactions: Tex76

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I live in Shelbyville, Tn, wanna take a guess at how many hockey rinks have ever been around here in the last 40+ years?
I ask because of your opinion that is a built in excuse seemed like you had experience with it. I wasn’t being smug. You can know the game without playing it.

I can tell you in Nashville we had municipal auditorium back in the day, which was more of a roller hockey sized rink and it did mess with us some.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I ask because of your opinion that is a built in excuse seemed like you had experience with it. I wasn’t being smug. You can know the game without playing it.

I can tell you in Nashville we had municipal auditorium back in the day, which was more of a roller hockey sized rink and it did mess with us some.
Well hockey no, but football, baseball, soccer, etc. you never knew what size the field would be. I mean it takes some adjustment, but it's not like it would take months and months to adjust to the size.

That said, doing that while trying to adjust playing against professionals, would make it rougher.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Well hockey no, but football, baseball, soccer, etc. you never knew what size the field would be. I mean it takes some adjustment, but it's not like it would take months and months to adjust to the size.

That said, doing that while trying to adjust playing against professionals, would make it rougher.
Agreed but you’ve made my point.
The post I was referring too said he needed to adjust the North American rink my point was it’s not the size of the rink affecting him, he’s played 130 games on NA ice and only 64 on Europe ice. The speed of the game is what is affecting him.

Reactions: Tex76

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I'm sure we had all hoped he would make an impact right away, but I'm willing to wait and see what happens. Also, funny things can happen sometime. In Forsberg's 1st full NHL season he had a higher PPG than he did in the AHL the previous year.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If I'd known it was going to generate such a response I would've used "game" rather than "ice." Figured all those aspects of playing on AHL ice would be inferred (faster, more skilled, more contact, less time, etc...).

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Nice goal Eeli!! Maybe this thread has lit a fire under him ;)

Update: Tolvanen now has TWO goals tonight!!
he was called for slashing and scored on the empty net coming out of the box. chicago pulled their goalie with 10 minutes in the 3rd.

good game for him to get 2 goals and some confidence. he has his impression of salomaki down.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I still have hope. high hopes. but admittedly I did for Haydar, Gamache, and Moses as well. lol

Konstantin Panov and Denis Arkhipov were two of the ones I had high hopes for big time.

I think Eeli is a better prospect than both of them though

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
He’s played more on NA ice than he has European ice.
Are we forgetting he grew up in Finland and moved to US at age 16? He grew up and learned the game on European ice, then went to USHL for two seasons and then returned to European ice for his KHL season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Agreed but you’ve made my point.
The post I was referring too said he needed to adjust the North American rink my point was it’s not the size of the rink affecting him, he’s played 130 games on NA ice and only 64 on Europe ice. The speed of the game is what is affecting him.
This is it exactly. You play around in different rinks and there are always variables, there are some a little smaller or bigger or have different end boards and bounces or glass height and it all has some impact. We have an Olympic rink here and some others that are nominally standard and some other older barns with "character"... but to me the best players are also the best at adapting to any of these changes, in general. The main factor is the speed and ability of the opponent.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
I think the thing to glean from looking at his time in Europe and NA is how much of his experience was developmental? I'd be safe to assume that his KHL and Olympic experiences were less developmental, which speaks to the talent level of a 19 year old kid that is still growing up. However, he is still a kid that needs to be able to grow up and be mentored to apply his skills to the toughest league in the world.

If he plays really well, I'd like to see him get a couple of call-ups to try and stick, but I'd rather him be THE GUY in Milwaukee this year so that he can work towards being the same in Nashville. Or even be a trade chip to address needs our system can't develop in this window the Preds have open right now to be elite. Girard and Seth Jones come to mind that were used to fetch centers in Turris and Joey. But I'm hoping he gets his chance to be molded into a Predator much like Forsberg had which came through being able to develop his game in Milwaukee and apply it in Nashville.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I do hope he gets a few games in the NHL at some point this year. Assuming it comes at a point where the Preds need a scoring wingers and Eeli is also playing well enough to earn that call-up. Coming in and getting 2-3 games can keep him focused on that development and what he needs to work on to become an NHL regular.

What I'm really interested in this season is his conditioning. He really fell off in the second half of last season and while Jokerit fans said the effort was still there, we'll find out if fatigue was a factor or not, he'll be playing a lot less hockey this season.

Reactions: SavageSteve

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Another goal from Mr.Tolvanen last night. Looks like he is starting to heat up now. I thought it may take him longer a she was struggling a bit at first but he’s starting to come into his own by the looks of the stat sheet anyways.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
With all of the injuries in Nashville, the opportunity is close for Eeli if he can get his NA pro game going. The indicators are showing things are starting to go his way ... now to keep that up so he is the next in line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad