Prospect Info: Eeli Tolvanen

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I wouldn't put too much into the 68 thing because training camp numbers are whatever.

Just thought it was weird... most guys pick a number and stick with it, even training camp.
I also see he is wearing number 20 for Milwaukee... is 11 taken?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
to be clear, tolvanen was overrated in the KHL and there are multiple guys that have played better than him in Milwaukee according to our fellow peers and box stats.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Tolvanen wears #11.

upload_2018-11-7_6-50-52.jpeg

Looks like 20 to me

Edit: thought this was admirals jersey, colours are identical. Cannot find a pic of him on Milwaukee though

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
to be clear, tolvanen was overrated in the KHL and there are multiple guys that have played better than him in Milwaukee according to our fellow peers and box stats.

Didn’t he set a record for most points by someone his age in the KHL? How is that overrated?

He is probably just having a hard time adapting to North American rink size. I do not get the overrated remark though..

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Broke Kuznetsov's record for most points by under 20 year old player, but he had a super hot start to the season, so most of his points came relatively early in the season if I recall.

36pts in 49 games is a good record, but when half of it comes early in the season you have to wonder if he was just able to sneak in with his lethal shot and went cold when opponents started to notice him? I don't know, but that shot IS good. I hope he gets comfortable with the speed and lack of time and space sooner than later.

BrockH

Nov 12, 2008
Toronto, ON
I've got Tolvanen in a keeper league. Been trying to scout out news articles, but haven't found much since he was sent down. Any idea if it's likely he spends the entire season down there? Or do you think he gets a shot based on pedigree if a roster spot opens up? Trying to figure out if I should keep burning an active roster spot on a player who's not even in the league.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I've got Tolvanen in a keeper league. Been trying to scout out news articles, but haven't found much since he was sent down. Any idea if it's likely he spends the entire season down there? Or do you think he gets a shot based on pedigree if a roster spot opens up? Trying to figure out if I should keep burning an active roster spot on a player who's not even in the league.

Pretty likely he stays there unless we get ravaged by injuries or he starts lighting up the scoresheet there. I'd drop him and keep a close eye on how he's doing but that's just me.

Reactions: BrockH

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Pretty likely he stays there unless we get ravaged by injuries or he starts lighting up the scoresheet there. I'd drop him and keep a close eye on how he's doing but that's just me.
Yeah I'd agree with this. He's one of those guys that I think we were looking for any excuse to bring up so he'd be here if he was close.

Reactions: BrockH

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Broke Kuznetsov's record for most points by under 20 year old player, but he had a super hot start to the season, so most of his points came relatively early in the season if I recall.

36pts in 49 games is a good record, but when half of it comes early in the season you have to wonder if he was just able to sneak in with his lethal shot and went cold when opponents started to notice him? I don't know, but that shot IS good. I hope he gets comfortable with the speed and lack of time and space sooner than later.
Well he did also score 6 goals in 11 playoff games. Goal scorers are streaky. Young goal scorers are super streaky. He's not Ovechkin, he's a 30th pick for gods sake. People need to be patient.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Well he did also score 6 goals in 11 playoff games. Goal scorers are streaky. Young goal scorers are super streaky. He's not Ovechkin, he's a 30th pick for gods sake. People need to be patient.

We had absurd expectations from day 1. Then his performance in the KHL and the international tournaments he played in only made it worse.

So now that he's not scoring a goal a night in the NHL he is, of course, a bust.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
He's not scoring a goal a week in the AHL.

He’s a kid though, I get it. Just sucks because we all wanted him to come over and tear it up right away. It’s understandable he has a lot of adjustments like new smaller rink size, new country to live in, etc...
As mentioned above, he is not ovechkin. But give him some time and I am sure he will get his act together. Just needs to get this North American game figured out and become more consistent. We know the kid has the talent.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I let myself get on board the hype train and expected him to be at least decent to good in AHL right away and if he didn't make it out of the camp, he'd be called up eventually during the season. I like to think I kept my expectations relatively low compared to the hype, but they were still too high, apparently.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I let myself get on board the hype train and expected him to be at least decent to good in AHL right away and if he didn't make it out of the camp, he'd be called up eventually during the season. I like to think I kept my expectations relatively low compared to the hype, but they were still too high, apparently.
i was duped as well.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
As if you werent allowed to be hyped about a teenager scoring 36 points in the worlds 2nd best league you got at #30 lol

Hindsight settling in pretty steadily

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Doesn't change the argument whatsoever, but I doubt AHL is the consensus #2 league when polled.
probably not but when you talk top to bottom AHL is a harder league to play night in night out.

KHL has 2-3 stacked teams with 1-2 more that may have an outside shot of competing and the rest are literally horrible.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
probably not but when you talk top to bottom AHL is a harder league to play night in night out.

KHL has 2-3 stacked teams with 1-2 more that may have an outside shot of competing and the rest are literally horrible.
Probably true as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->