News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Chase WAS the "cheap option" when he replaced veteran broadcaster Jake Daniels despite having zero radio experience or training. Astral Media got what they paid for with that guy: the bare minimum. He justafiably got fired.

Whether you liked Wil's on-air contributions or not, he did his job (much of which was off-air) very professionally. To me, and more importantly to him and his former morning show colleagues, that's what makes Wil's dismissal a tough pill to swallow.
how long was "Neilson and Chase" together?
it was a trainwreck from the start due to Kyle Chase...what a poor radio host

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
It's too bad. Wil played the straight man to Nielsen's antics. Without Wil, Dustin will have to be more serious which will hurt the show.
Hopefully TSN radio is not in too much financial trouble. Would hate to lose this station.

Dave Chung

Mar 3, 2008
Sad to hear the news. Loved the duo of Wil and Dustin as they worked well together. Plus, it was good that they had fun and joked about non-sports issues as well. made the morning drive good while stuck in traffic.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Probably no change unless they bring in someone to run the boards and replace Eric. He was on-air mostly from 7 to Noon, so right now he's doing 6 hours.
Recent intern Tyler Yaremchuk has been brought in to replace Lt. E. on Lowetide's show. This clearly shows that Fraser's dismissal was a budget move by Bell.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
One man shows are never as interesting as having the banter between two radio hosts who have good chemistry. Really unfortunate for Fraser and the product quality will likely suffer moving forward IMO. I'll still listen here in Ontario, but disappointed with TSN's decision.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
One man shows are never as interesting as having the banter between two radio hosts who have good chemistry. Really unfortunate for Fraser and the product quality will likely suffer moving forward IMO. I'll still listen here in Ontario, but disappointed with TSN's decision.

The longer shows need 2 hosts. Lowetide's and Dave Jamieson's weekday shows are only 2 hours long and can get by with one host, although Jamieson/Iwanuk and Gregor make appearances late in their shows. I would mention Dean Millard but he gets cut short or pre-empted by hockey and football a lot. Plus, he can also run interviews from the daytime shows.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Looks like the Ultimate Trip of a Lifetime #16 is off. Not sure if those are part of the cutbacks. So, Connor has to spend his birthday all alone.
I'm still laughing at the winner who could go anywhere in the world for any sports event and the guy chooses Nascar? Nascar? I figure if you're not leaving North America you're doing it wrong.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I'm still laughing at the winner who could go anywhere in the world for any sports event and the guy chooses Nascar? Nascar? I figure if you're not leaving North America you're doing it wrong.

he chose Nascar?!

holy shit that actually pisses me off

Reactions: Tom Collins

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
Yes, he took NASCAR. I'd pay my own way to NASCAR and head to Australia or Europe if they're paying.
No kidding. Is that even a hard ticket to get? At least if you're not going to take advantage of traveling somewhere worthwhile then ask for the Super Bowl where it's difficult to get tickets.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'd head to Australia for some Grand National Finals action and put up my lawn chair along the Henday if I wanted to watch cars drive fast.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Nascar live is actually pretty good, Ive been to the Daytona 500 in a suite which was in the top 5 of sporting events Ive been to, and been to the track in Phoenix as well and had a blast as well. That said Super Bowl or if you want the flight overseas then the Aussie Rules Football final. Maybe the Video Game finals in Japan lol

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I saw Jimmy Johnson win in Daytona when I was younger, and besides me not giving much of a shit about Nascar I especially don't understand the appeal live

it's not like you're in a crowd of fellow fans cheering for a single team

but obviously I'm not everybody because those races are packed :)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Part of me would love to watch the Champions League final just for the spectacle of the event, plus going to Europe would be awesome. Or even something like the Men's Volleyball World Championships, just to see the best of those guys in the whole world. That game at a high enough level is fun.

Reactions: boredem and TB12

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
always sad when someone loses their job like this. Thought those two had great chemistry

Reactions: Coffey

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Part of me would love to watch the Champions League final just for the spectacle of the event, plus going to Europe would be awesome. Or even something like the Men's Volleyball World Championships, just to see the best of those guys in the whole world. That game at a high enough level is fun.

First thing that came to mind for me is the Champions League Final as well, that is a marquee event in the sporting world + it's in Europe.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
Kind of bummed, I liked Fraser as a straight man to Nielsons clowning. With this and the SJW lunch show they have been airing TSN doesn't give me much reason to listen to their station.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
After listening to lowetide he made it sound more like it was about Lt Eric getting a promotion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad