News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Not entirely on topic, but...

"It's Friiiiday! Do you have a mouth full of molasses? I know I do..... Agree?....disagree?...... I'M...BOB...LAYYYTON...."

Ugh.

Bob Layton, wow! It's been awhile since I thought about that guy. Does he still pronononce the word murder as "murrr-derrr"?

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
https://oilersnation.com/

The Real Life podcast on this site is great. Wayne Gretz, Strudwick, and Gregor are the hosts. If you are looking for which eps to start with I'd suggest Hendricks, Rob Brown, and Ryan Whitney, but they are all pretty good.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007

The Real Life podcast on this site is great. Wayne Gretz, Strudwick, and Gregor are the hosts. If you are looking for which eps to start with I'd suggest Hendricks, Rob Brown, and Ryan Whitney, but they are all pretty good.
I wish this was the case because, try as I might, I don't care for Wanye Gretz's contributions to this otherwise very good podcast.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010

While I enjoy this podcast I really wish this was a Strudwick podcast with guys like Wanye participating in small amounts. Gregor can just go away though, so tired of this guys style, its grating and tiresome. If TSN 1260 knew what they were doing they would have dumped this ***hat the first opportunity they had.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Listened to a good chunk of Mageau yesterday. Really liked the interviews he did. Seemed to have a lot of flow.

Lots of times when there are fillers for the regulars it just sounds so awkward. Mageau wasn't. Missed the last hour that was suppose to have Hervey and Struds on. Kinda wish I would've changed plans.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Listened to a good chunk of Mageau yesterday. Really liked the interviews he did. Seemed to have a lot of flow.

Lots of times when there are fillers for the regulars it just sounds so awkward. Mageau wasn't. Missed the last hour that was suppose to have Hervey and Struds on. Kinda wish I would've changed plans.

It was good. Hervey talked about what actually happens in a (football) trade. Quite nice hearing how much work and effort actually goes into making a trade, big or small. Had me thinking that the Hall for Larsson trade talks probably started while the season was on going.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It was good. Hervey talked about what actually happens in a (football) trade. Quite nice hearing how much work and effort actually goes into making a trade, big or small. Had me thinking that the Hall for Larsson trade talks probably started while the season was on going.

Hall and Larsson started when PC and Shero were both hired by their current teams. Lots of talks for a long time.

I remember a few years back someone got dealt close to the deadline for a mid-round pick. GM talked about how they were talking about it before x-mas. Was such a small trade, but took forever to happen.

Didn't realize Hervey lived here still either. Did he live here before he became GM?

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Gregor can just go away though, so tired of this guys style, its grating and tiresome. If TSN 1260 knew what they were doing they would have dumped this ***hat the first opportunity they had.
With their collosally tone-deaf attempt to hire disgraced coach Art Briles, the Hamilton Ti-Cats provided sports talk hosts across North America with an ideal, multi-layered topic to explore. To me, the most interesting local discussion about this was on The Jason Gregor Show with both Gregor and co-host Jason Strudwick weighing in passionately and intelligently. Individual biases for & against these two aside, it was outstanding talk radio. Period.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really like Hervey on Monday. What really stood out was his comment about players/coaches that he didn't go after because they were too much of a headache to deal with. Of course the topic was due to Briles, but it really applies to Kaepernick. Whether he is right or wrong, the fact is he is a distraction.

I don't buy that he's been completely blackballed. His past is now causing teams to ask whether or not he brings any actual value to the team with his amount of baggage. As McCoy said Vick had baggage, but he was a star and you can deal with it. Backup QB, is it worth dealing with as a teammate, coach, gm etc???

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Listened to the Penticton game against Van while driving home from Calgary this afternoon. I think it may have been the best called game from Jack that I have ever heard. I don't think I was annoyed by him at all, and especially noted how subdued his "Ovvvvvertime" was after the Maksimov goal.

Stauffer still sucks.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
With their collosally tone-deaf attempt to hire disgraced coach Art Briles, the Hamilton Ti-Cats provided sports talk hosts across North America with an ideal, multi-layered topic to explore. To me, the most interesting local discussion about this was on The Jason Gregor Show with both Gregor and co-host Jason Strudwick weighing in passionately and intelligently. Individual biases for & against these two aside, it was outstanding talk radio. Period.

I started off enjoying it but almost had to turn it off as Strudwick just kept repeating the same things over and over again, like a broken record.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I started off enjoying it but almost had to turn it off as Strudwick just kept repeating the same things over and over again, like a broken record.
True. Discussing serious topics isn't really Struddy's forte. He was better the next day after he'd had more time to gather his thoughts. Gregor was bang-on with his observations both days and it was mostly him I was talking about in my original post.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Totally unrelated - I can't find the radio thread - but it looks like Will Fraser of 'Nielson and Fraser' fame may have been laid off. Bell media with layoffs in the Edmonton area and on the TSN 1260 website it's already changed to 'the Nielson Show' with just a picture of Dustin.

Feel bad for the guy because he's got a wife and kids at home but he's like listening to paint dry. Think watching paint dry is boring? Try listening to it.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Well, Neilsen was always saying they were working week to week. Too bad for Will. Hopefully he can get on with some sort of sports audio if he's not already thinking of some other career.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
In an obviously muted tone, Dustin Nielson just announced that Wil Fraser is no longer with TSN1260 due to "restructuring" by Bell Media.

Like him or not on the air, Wil's a good man and a hard worker. One bright side for him and his young family is that his wife has a good job.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Will was kinda lucky he lasted this long. He was just really thrown into the position when they had to get rid of Chase. They went with a cheap option and it lasted quite long.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
In an obviously muted tone, Dustin Nielson just announced that Wil Fraser is no longer with TSN1260 due to "restructuring" by Bell Media.

Like him or not on the air, Wil's a good man and a hard worker. One bright side for him and his young family is that his wife has a good job.
That really sucks, I liked what Fraser brought to the show. If this means more Tencer, I might egg the studio.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Will was kinda lucky he lasted this long. He was just really thrown into the position when they had to get rid of Chase. They went with a cheap option and it lasted quite long.

Chase WAS the "cheap option" when he replaced veteran broadcaster Jake Daniels despite having zero radio experience or training. Astral Media got what they paid for with that guy: the bare minimum. He justafiably got fired.

Whether you liked Wil's on-air contributions or not, he did his job (much of which was off-air) very professionally. To me, and more importantly to him and his former morning show colleagues, that's what makes Wil's dismissal a tough pill to swallow.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Looks like the Ultimate Trip of a Lifetime #16 is off. Not sure if those are part of the cutbacks. So, Connor has to spend his birthday all alone.

nvan97

Jun 20, 2008
Edmonton
I'm never happy that someone got let go but if it means more LtE then I'm ok with it. I'm curious as to who else was let go as Nielsen alluded to.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I'm never happy that someone got let go but if it means more LtE then I'm ok with it. I'm curious as to who else was let go as Nielsen alluded to.
What I'm wondering is how or if this affect's Lt. E's role on Lowetide's show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad