News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
After free agency I'm off the sports talk radio until September. Has that bonehead tencer been on lately?

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I will never be a fan of Tencer's on-air persona but I couldn't help but feel bad about the excessive bashing he was taking via text from Nielson & Fraser listeners- particularly when hosting solo on Thu. & Fri.. It was hard to blame the guy for sounding a little disheartened by the end of the week.

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
It's a shame because I truly think Tencer loves radio and hearing himself speak but his ego got the best of him , cost him his career.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
I will never be a fan of Tencer's on-air persona but I couldn't help but feel bad about the excessive bashing he was taking via text from Nielson & Fraser listeners- particularly when hosting solo on Thu. & Fri.. It was hard to blame the guy for sounding a little disheartened by the end of the week.

It's pretty pathetic actually.

I guess I'm envious of all of those who's lives are so great that the biggest issue in their life, the issue where they will rise up and be heard, clench a fist and make a stand, is that Dan Tencer is on the radio. I guess I am too busy trying to be one of the lucky 50% that gets to keep his job at 60% of what I made last year to publicly call a guy an asshat because he thinks so-and-so should be on the 3rd line and not the 4th line.

I bet he gets on full time, simply because he generates 10x more talk than any other show. So good job haters! You're getting him a job!

Reactions: Dorian2

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Yeah, but he just shouldn't be there, the Ship has sailed on him as a host in this city, and last week should have confirmed it.

I can't feel bad for him because he's to blame for ****ing up his situation.

As for like Ewanik(sp), Majeau, Lte Eric, etc, are really being well develop, I would love to see them get the shot that Tencer was just handed.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
It's pretty pathetic actually.

I guess I'm envious of all of those who's lives are so great that the biggest issue in their life, the issue where they will rise up and be heard, clench a fist and make a stand, is that Dan Tencer is on the radio. I guess I am too busy trying to be one of the lucky 50% that gets to keep his job at 60% of what I made last year to publicly call a guy an asshat because he thinks so-and-so should be on the 3rd line and not the 4th line.

I bet he gets on full time, simply because he generates 10x more talk than any other show. So good job haters! You're getting him a job!

I would hardly call shooting off a quick text to a radio station as taking a stand.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, but he just shouldn't be there, the Ship has sailed on him as a host in this city, and last week should have confirmed it.

I can't feel bad for him because he's to blame for ****ing up his situation.

I get it but the personal attacks last week got to be a little much. When Tencer kicked off his most recent appearance on Jamieson's show the week before last with a statement I found to be objectionable, I immediately fired off a text to him addressing what he said. That made sense to me. Hammering away at the guy's very being while he's on the air doesn't. I'd suggest taking it up with whoever decided to let him be on TSN 1260 or simply listening to something else when he's on (which is mostly what I did) as less distasteful alternatives.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
Part of me feels bad for Tencer, because for the most part on Twitter, he seems like a nice guy, and was trying hard this last week to fill in for Nielson and Fraser. But, too much damage had been done due to the last couple years he was on Ched, and it will take a whole lot of goodwill to erase that bad taste that it left with most Edmonton sports fans.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Part of me feels bad for Tencer, because for the most part on Twitter, he seems like a nice guy, and was trying hard this last week to fill in for Nielson and Fraser. But, too much damage had been done due to the last couple years he was on Ched, and it will take a whole lot of goodwill to erase that bad taste that it left with most Edmonton sports fans.

This.

I don't mind him though.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Neilson seemed to do a fine job of calling the women's basketball games for tsn the past week. Would not surprise me to see him moving up the food chain before too long and flying the coup of the morning show.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
:facepalm:

No question, there is a difference, an obvious one. Tencer's deserving of all the grief he gets.

No, I disagree.

I don't think he's terrible. He hosted a show that had to take calls during the worst period of Oilers hockey in history. People calling up drunk spewing all sorts of garbage. It's not like it was an easy task to be 100% polite during that time.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Neilson seemed to do a fine job of calling the women's basketball games for tsn the past week. Would not surprise me to see him moving up the food chain before too long and flying the coup of the morning show.

What better spot could he land in?

Morning shows are pretty big in radio land, that and the afternoon drive are prime time.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
No, I disagree.

I don't think he's terrible. He hosted a show that had to take calls during the worst period of Oilers hockey in history. People calling up drunk spewing all sorts of garbage. It's not like it was an easy task to be 100% polite during that time.

1) Resist using the power of being a call in host to always get in a last shot at a caller after they hang up. He failed in that.

2) If you are covering an awful awful team then don't go trash talking other more successful teams (in this case Vancouver) He failed in this.

3) If you decide to defend aspects or people in the org to the teeth who are clearly bad at what they do have the cred to admit you were wrong or stick by them after they are gone. He failed in this. (Though he is far from alone in his regard, almost every single media guy kiss the rump of whoever is currently in charge and slams anyone being critical of them, 5 minutes after that person is gone they do a 180 and are now critical of the now former member of the org.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
No, I disagree.

Agreed. Heard a lot of them shows, an a lot of spewed garbage was thrown his way.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
No, I disagree.

Tencer called out oiler fans for booing the damn team. He's as big of a obc kisser as Stauffer.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
1) Resist using the power of being a call in host to always get in a last shot at a caller after they hang up. He failed in that.

2) If you are covering an awful awful team then don't go trash talking other more successful teams (in this case Vancouver) He failed in this.

3) If you decide to defend aspects or people in the org to the teeth who are clearly bad at what they do have the cred to admit you were wrong or stick by them after they are gone. He failed in this. (Though he is far from alone in his regard, almost every single media guy kiss the rump of whoever is currently in charge and slams anyone being critical of them, 5 minutes after that person is gone they do a 180 and are now critical of the now former member of the org.

I won't debate you on points 1 & 2. If you feel that way then so be it.

If you are paid by the Oilers then you won't slam the people (even if they so so deserved it) because any human likes to enjoy food and shelter. In other words, you don't go on the radio and say that your boss is a piece of garbage if you plan on keeping your job.

Find any MacT media availability thread and you will see many of my posts slamming the media (that includes Sportsnet CHED and TSN1260) for not asking real questions and giving MacT softball questions for 15-20 min. The one in December in particular irks me to this day.

The only difference between CHED and TSN 1260 is that CHED is the Oilers rights holder and thus can't slam the team on the radio. TSN having little affiliation can be more critical of the Oilers.

I thought this was common sense.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I won't debate you on points 1 & 2. If you feel that way then so be it.

If you are paid by the Oilers then you won't slam the people (even if they so so deserved it) because any human likes to enjoy food and shelter. In other words, you don't go on the radio and say that your boss is a piece of garbage if you plan on keeping your job.

Find any MacT media availability thread and you will see many of my posts slamming the media (that includes Sportsnet CHED and TSN1260) for not asking real questions and giving MacT softball questions for 15-20 min. The one in December in particular irks me to this day.

The only difference between CHED and TSN 1260 is that CHED is the Oilers rights holder and thus can't slam the team on the radio. TSN having little affiliation can be more critical of the Oilers.

I thought this was common sense.

I'm not going to excuse a person for pretending they are a journalist rather than a paid schill blast everyone and their dog for saying the oilers were a joke and then a week after the new guys are in then blaming the regime they have defended for years. You can forgive those type of people if you wish, I won't.

Media people in this city not even employed by the team are not much different though. Eskimos broadcast teams were a joke. Bryan Hall was a joke. Almost all of them.

Common sense to me is make comments, make them strongly if you really believe them but if you are 100% wrong eat those comments and have one shred of credibility.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
I would hardly call shooting off a quick text to a radio station as taking a stand.

No, but there are people here who will text the show and rather than debate a point he's made, will simply call him a **** *** with **** stained **** and dipped in butter, and then come on here and reference his **** while **** chicken pot pie **** ***** on a hill, then they'll find some other forum to insult him on too, all without ever adding anything to a conversation.

THOSE people are pathetic. Firing off a text saying "You couldn't be more wrong if you tried because blah blah blah." are what sports talk radio is all about.

Blindly insulting someone from the security of your text or computer because you disagree with them, is weak! (and yes, I get the irony that I am sitting at home anonymously calling some internet posters pathetic)

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
No, but there are people here who will text the show and rather than debate a point he's made, will simply call him a **** *** with **** stained **** and dipped in butter, and then come on here and reference his **** while **** chicken pot pie **** ***** on a hill, then they'll find some other forum to insult him on too, all without ever adding anything to a conversation.

THOSE people are pathetic. Firing off a text saying "You couldn't be more wrong if you tried because blah blah blah." are what sports talk radio is all about.

Blindly insulting someone from the security of your text or computer because you disagree with them, is weak! (and yes, I get the irony that I am sitting at home anonymously calling some internet posters pathetic)

Well, at least we've now identified Tencer's HF account.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad