News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I love Lowe Tide. My wife says he has a sexy voice then I showed her his pic and she fell out of love.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
I can't handle the morning show anymore. I've only listened regularly for maybe a year or two but their is almost no content to the show. I'd rather listen to Stauffer @ noon talk about sports and players I know nothing about and maybe learn something new than listen to compilations of Don Cherry, Wayne Gretzky moaning and goal songs for 4 hours. I'd like to see what percent of the show someone is actually talking sports, I bet it's incredibly low.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haggard

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I just listened to Guy Flaming's Pipeline Show podcast for the first time since the show left TSN 1260's airwaves. As informative as ever, it was like being reunited with an old friend. From now on I think I'll listen on Saturday mornings for old times sake.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I just listened to Guy Flaming's Pipeline Show podcast for the first time since the show left TSN 1260's airwaves. As informative as ever, it was like being reunited with an old friend. From now on I think I'll listen on Saturday mornings for old times sake.

Used to listen when they had a EPL game then the Pipeline Show. Now it's basketball and whatever else.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Did you mention something to Lowetide? I started to laugh when he said something about "Guy how can people listen to you, apparently a lot of people didn't know you are still around".

jmco

Jan 25, 2013
I didn't like Fraser but he's gone and the morning show has become pretty much intolerable.

The morning show is beyond awful now without Fraser. Dusty needs to be balanced out with someone more focused. I always liked Fraser with Gregor in the evenings back in the day. Best radio show combo they had at team/tsn 1260.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I have no problem with the morning show, I enjoy the light hearted feel of it. I also enjoy that they will talk about more then just hockey (hides from the incomeing flame)

nielson1260

Dec 21, 2017
I can't handle the morning show anymore. I've only listened regularly for maybe a year or two but their is almost no content to the show. I'd rather listen to Stauffer @ noon talk about sports and players I know nothing about and maybe learn something new than listen to compilations of Don Cherry, Wayne Gretzky moaning and goal songs for 4 hours. I'd like to see what percent of the show someone is actually talking sports, I bet it's incredibly low.

Who better to answer this then me. Here is our show from this morning, (Wednesday)

605 We basically recapped everything that happened in sports the night before...without a song, amazing
630 We had Will Graves on out of Pittsburgh to talk Steelers without Antonio Brown
645 Texts about Lt. Eric's birthday...sorry for discussing his birthday
705 Jamie McLennan on Leafs/Canes, Blues, Carter Hutton, Oilers, Klefbom
730 Lt. Eric's 12 Days of Christmas, about the Oilers, because you know, Christmas is less than a week away
745 Mark Masters to talk about the World Juniors
805 Three Questions...which included about 5 good minutes of discussing where Slepyshev fits in
830 Ryan Rishaug...we talked Klefbom, where Slepyshev fits....also talked about a movie, sorry
845 A little Christmas stuff from Pinter
905 McLellan again
930 Lt. Eric's Weekly Rankings of Power about the Montreal Alouettes Head Coach.

So ya....not much sports talk on the show today...we should have opened the phones to discuss Nathan Walker being on waivers.

Tomorrow on the show we'll have Darren Dreger, Herm Edwards, Ryan Rishaug, two segments setting up the Oilers and Blues and probably some basketball talk....if that's ok.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Hi Nielson. Get some of those bloggers Lowetide has on his show that routinely lament about the Hall trade and your approval rating will go up around here. It's a tough crowd. Merry Christmas!

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Lowetide is very good. So is Gregor and Stauffer. After that I dont listen much except for pregame/post game coverage on both stations, though I prefer 1260 cause its less biased.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hi Nielson. Get some of those bloggers Lowetide has on his show that routinely lament about the Hall trade and your approval rating will go up around here. It's a tough crowd. Merry Christmas!
That's why I like Neilsen and Gregors shows I don't have to listen to bloggers.

I want guys that are around actual people not around their parents cat in their basement.

Hearing from people that talk to the players and coaches is what I want. Not people that just look at stats and pretend they know how to fix the world

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That's why I like Neilsen and Gregors shows I don't have to listen to bloggers.

I want guys that are around actual people not around their parents cat in their basement.

Hearing from people that talk to the players and coaches is what I want. Not people that just look at stats and pretend they know how to fix the world

Hear hear. I like the insiders Nielsen has and Rishaug is my favourite in particular when he and Nielsen get off on a tangent which is usually hilarious. I am not a fan of the Shut My Big Yap jerk and have no idea why they need to cross promote that guy from the Bear. I don’t think many ppl give a shit what his opinion of the world is.

I like Nielsen but miss Fraser. Lt Eric is too much of a clown show for me, I don’t care much for his schtick, and now I just tune in now to listen to either the 7 or 9 insider report and Rishaug at 8:30.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Art & Jenny from Sherwood Park Toyota are pushing hard for a spot on the podium as well.
How about the Sandler Training ads, they are awful too. I always just switch over to CHED or iNews 880 and catch their sports segments which is on usually right at that time.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
How about the Sandler Training ads, they are awful too. I always just switch over to CHED or iNews 880 and catch their sports segments which is on usually right at that time.

The Sandler Training guy on the radio is my cousin. I’ll hook you up for a deal lol.

Hey advertising works if you remember who they are so all these ads must be effective!

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I still listen to the morning show. I don't need serious sports talk that early in the day so the goofy schtick stuff is fine. The goal songs get to be too much though. I miss Fraser on there. He was a good balance to Nielsen. Show isn't as good without Wil.

Gregor is insufferable. I try to tune in but end up turning him off, especially when he goes on his "know-it-all" rants. Tries too hard to be one of the cool kids when Strudwick is in studio, it's so annoying. Can never admit when he migth be wrong.

Lowetide is very good. Jamieson is ok, I like when we get to hear the behind the scenes stories from his Eskimos days.

Lastly, does anyone really listen to Jim Rome?

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
The Sandler Training guy on the radio is my cousin. I’ll hook you up for a deal lol.

Hey advertising works if you remember who they are so all these ads must be effective!
Yup, they work. I know who I'd never go give my business to. Starts with Oodle Noodle, then Spence, then Sadler training.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yup, they work. I know who I'd never go give my business to. Starts with Oodle Noodle, then Spence, then Sadler training.

My son bought his engagement ring from Spence because the commercials were burnt into his brain. Seriously! And he lives near Antwerp, the diamond capital of the planet. Honestly the staff at Spence were first class and very professional, I’d recommend them.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I still listen to the morning show. I don't need serious sports talk that early in the day so the goofy schtick stuff is fine. The goal songs get to be too much though. I miss Fraser on there. He was a good balance to Nielsen. Show isn't as good without Wil.

Gregor is insufferable. I try to tune in but end up turning him off, especially when he goes on his "know-it-all" rants. Tries too hard to be one of the cool kids when Strudwick is in studio, it's so annoying. Can never admit when he migth be wrong.

Lowetide is very good. Jamieson is ok, I like when we get to hear the behind the scenes stories from his Eskimos days.

Lastly, does anyone really listen to Jim Rome?

Yup. It was a sad day when the Jungle left the 10am-1pm time slot. 12 straight hours of local programming is too much IMO. Fortunately for us clones, the show is available as a podcast for about $1/week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad