News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Listening to the start of Gregor's show. Didn't know that he and Fraser had worked together for 15 years. Didn't know that they were on CJCA at the beginning or that CJCA had sports programming in 2002.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Never good when somebody loses their livelihood. That said, the morning show does not have enough content to justify two hosts. Way too much time wasted on garbage like goal songs, fantasy football confessions, etc. I find when Dusty is on his own he takes it a little more seriously and the show is better. He clowns around, but he generally has well-reasoned takes on things and a strong knowledge base on many different sports. Fraser's opinions were utterly asinine on a multitude of talking points. Lazy hot takes that weren't even contrarian, they were just plain bad radio. Hopefully Wil lands on his feet, it will be strange not hearing him on sports radio. I was listening to him and Gregor way back in the CJCA days.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
What's Stauffer going to say about the team today? " Not good enough" That's all he ever says. It's be nice to find one to listen to that is not biased as he is. I know he's employed by team but have more of an objective opinion on the situation.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Never good when somebody loses their livelihood. That said, the morning show does not have enough content to justify two hosts. Way too much time wasted on garbage like goal songs, fantasy football confessions, etc. I find when Dusty is on his own he takes it a little more seriously and the show is better. He clowns around, but he generally has well-reasoned takes on things and a strong knowledge base on many different sports. Fraser's opinions were utterly asinine on a multitude of talking points. Lazy hot takes that weren't even contrarian, they were just plain bad radio. Hopefully Wil lands on his feet, it will be strange not hearing him on sports radio. I was listening to him and Gregor way back in the CJCA days.
Dusty's problem is he acts like a two yr old and is annoying as all hell that's why I stop listening to 1260 there is a time to grow up but I think he missed the boat

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I wonder if you had to state your "dream trip" when you qualified, because that could affect the outcome. Nascar is a lot cheaper then the Aussie Rules final.
Qualifiers were asked where he or she would go and who he or she would take. They wouldn't be held to that so maybe the best strategy is to say you'd go to Red Deer for an Oil a Kings game and if you win you'd choose some distant event.

Still, the savings going to NASCAR didn't save Fraser his job.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Hahaha anyone listening to Oilers now?

"Why the f*** does some news anchor need to tell me if Cosby is getting piled on"

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sounds like Will wasn't the only Bell media employee to be cut. Was cuts across the country.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Sounds like Will wasn't the only Bell media employee to be cut. Was cuts across the country.

I tried looking up the Bell Media cuts and thought the Radio West message board would have something, since most of the members are involved in radio. Nothing, except some talking about layoffs at CTV Vancouver. Even some layoffs at CHNL 610 Kamloops the same day got some posts and that was because NewCap bought the station and did the layoffs.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
So I was listening to Majeau filling in on Gregor's show around 10 after 3 and then started hearing a couple of guys I've never heard of before, although I may have heard the one guy that sounded like Popeye doing sports in the past. Guess there was a fire alarm that went off and everyone had to leave the building.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Dusty's problem is he acts like a two yr old and is annoying as all hell that's why I stop listening to 1260 there is a time to grow up but I think he missed the boat

I was starting to listen to 960 a lot more in the mornings due to the superior guests and more plentiful content. I'll see how 1260 does with Dusty flying solo. As I mentioned, I always found him more serious when it was just him and Fraser was on vacation, for whatever reason.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Fuccccc

I'm gone for a week, listen to the radio today and hear "Neilsen show"... Read up on this thread and feel like crap.
Neilsen will absolutely have to tone it down now, as Fraser was the calming presence to his wackiness.

That really sucks, I enjoyed the hell out of those two. Great chemistry.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I know shows are supposed to be entertaining and different, but I could never bear listening to the morning show. Too immature for me. Almost annoying.

I've listened to the morning show maybe once in 5 years in full.

I listen to Team 1040 or even Calgary's show. Much more intelligent content and better guests. More grown up IMO.

Reactions: Darkwinter

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Maaan Gregor went in HARD on Calgary as a hated franchise yesterday lol Including the city and the fans. Hilarious.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
I think Will Fraser is actually quite solid on his own too. He played second fiddle, and I think they relished in the Devils Advocate discussions. I rarely agreed with what he said, but having different opinions is always good for talk show.

Listening to Dusty alone now with Eric is meh. I always like 2 or 3 hosts for any talk show. I find myself tuning to CHED or FM more this past week.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
after tonight I have lost all respect for Reid Wilkins and felt bad for the first caller tonight.You could tell the guy had a studdering problem and Reid blew him off.What a classless move on his part....

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I know shows are supposed to be entertaining and different, but I could never bear listening to the morning show. Too immature for me. Almost annoying.

I've listened to the morning show maybe once in 5 years in full.

I listen to Team 1040 or even Calgary's show. Much more intelligent content and better guests. More grown up IMO.

Boomer and Rhett more intelligent?????? I listened to them every day for a year and this is hilarious to read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad