Edmonton..looks bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I thought the Oilers were being overrated by some in the media and Las Vegas before the season. However, they aren't nearly as bad as they have been the past three games and they've also been really unlucky at both ends of the ice. Too early to panic just yet but I don't think they can wait around much longer either.

Last edited:

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Wait, do you want a top 6 filled with superstars? Good luck.

These guys (RNH, Lucic, Strome, Maroon), they have no drive or heart. They don't put their head through a post to score or make a play. They're dead weight that add no positives on any level.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Terrible 3 games but not the end of the world...yet.

Talbot has been godawful our PDO is abysmal the last 3 games, things should balance out

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
These guys (RNH, Lucic, Strome, Maroon), they have no drive or heart. They don't put their head through a post to score or make a play. They're dead weight that add no positives on any level.

This is the thing that I actually call "intangibles" (not the things Toews has). If you look at the Pens, they have tons of guys who will block any shot, take a hit to make a play or drive the net hard. All the skilled guys (except Kessel...) will score any kind of dirty goal, no matter the abuse it takes. I never thought much about it until I saw how the Capitals played, no heart at all. They'll truck people with hits, but never get their hands dirty near the goal line. Hornqvist/Simmonds/Gallagher is the type of player every team needs to be successful

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Maroon is too slow to play with McDavid. McDavid needs players in his line that can at least be fast enough to be within a zone behind him when he gets going and Maroon might actually be slower than Lucic which I didn't think was possible.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Too perfect what happened to them tonight after just completely ****ting on the Flames last night.

Interesting stuff eh. Better not count eggs before they hatch eh?

It's still crazy early in the season; so this all means almost nothing... but I was pretty unimpressed with their offseason. Expecting growth out of two players already playing a top level; is pretty risky. That blueline isn't great, that depth after the top line isn't great... Who knows, way early, but this team goes as far as McDavid and Talbot take them.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Not really surprising. Team has holes and with all the so-called experts picking them to win at least 3 rounds the opposition is bringing their A game and exposing them.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I don't think it's that much of a surprise. Edmonton was a horrific dumpster fire, having McDavid doesn't change that alone. I mean the Hall trade? The Lucic free agent deal? Aside from winning McDavid, what has management done to set McDavid up for success? Lock Draisaitl up for 3 million a year more than he's worth? How is that going to help him? McDavid will rue that 8 year extension.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Hang in there, boys. Us Jets fans were depressed after our first two games. Things can change pretty fast.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Decent but not dominant team. Almost everyone has career years. Trade away talent for cap reasons. Lose key players to injury.

What were people expecting? McDavid to score 200? They'll improve but they weren't a lock for the playoffs to begin with.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They are still a playoff team, but it is very valid to look at them and wonder if they haven anywhere near enough depth to take the next step.

With the amount of money they have tied up in a few players, they are going to need to be really smart in drafting to fill out the depth. They will need young, cheap talent to fill out the rest of the lineup and push into the finals and beyond.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Decent but not dominant team. Almost everyone has career years. Trade away talent for cap reasons. Lose key players to injury.

What were people expecting? McDavid to score 200? They'll improve but they weren't a lock for the playoffs to begin with.

Well most pundits thought they were a lock for the playoffs before the season started.

They aren't deep up front. You can get away with that with a guy like Mcdavid up front, but if he goes cold, you aren't going to win many games.

No you can only get away with that in the NBA. You need more than just one superstar player.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Well most pundits thought they were a lock for the playoffs before the season started.
Pundits are writers, they aim to sell papers or opinions. Writing about McDavid sells. I have no doubt they wrote about the Oilers being great. I ahve doubts that was an honest evaluation of the team.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Maybe they're just looking towards the draft to get the final part of the puzzle on D?

Seriously, Talbot is off. He won't stay off. Steal and few and a young group will get going.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No team is a lock for playoffs. Lots of teams have made a run in the playoffs and stunk up the league the next season. It happens.

Apr 28, 2010
I don't think it's that much of a surprise. Edmonton was a horrific dumpster fire, having McDavid doesn't change that alone. I mean the Hall trade? The Lucic free agent deal? Aside from winning McDavid, what has management done to set McDavid up for success? Lock Draisaitl up for 3 million a year more than he's worth? How is that going to help him? McDavid will rue that 8 year extension.

Still early but theyre really going to regret this decision.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Still early but theyre really going to regret this decision.

IDK. I'm not sure they could afford to keep Hall once his contract was up. They were able to fill a position of need with him.

I think their biggest past miscue is they didn't draft to well past the first round and all their lotto wins. They really need more young, cheap talent to fill some of these lineup holes and those come from good drafting in the later rounds.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Draisaitl and McDavid cover up a lot of deficiencies on that roster, when they go cold or miss time they are in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00