Edmonton..looks bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Quite poor defensively it seems. Expect that to turn around along with a few other teams in the league though.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I agree, their playoff jerseys were great, but the new orange looks washed out and the new blue doesn't contrast as nicely.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Missing Sekera hurts for the Oilers, their defense has gone from slightly above average to below average without him. The Oilers just don't have a very deep team, so losing either McDavid or Draisaitl would be an enormous shot to their team. Like look at their 2nd-4th lines yesterday:

Lucic-RNH-Kassian
Jokinen-Strome-Slepyshev
Khaira-Letestu-Pakarinen

That's a legitimately bad 2nd-4th lines.

Reactions: zeke

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ottawa beat someone...must mean that franchise sucks.
Seems to be the status quo around here haha. If they had beat Pittsburgh last year would that have meant they suck Too? No there would have to be a new narrative.

They play better when no one gives them a chance so keep it coming it makes it all the more sweet. This morning TSN who does in fact have the television contract didn't even show the highites of the game on sports center haha.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Once McDavid get going, and he will, the whole team will play at a higher level. He is not playing at his level now, which affects the whole team.

They will most definitely make the playoffs, but I don’t see them as a cup contender for another 2-3 years.

....or maybe one guy can't do it by himself?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Seems to be the status quo around here haha. If they had beat Pittsburgh last year would that have meant they suck Too? No there would have to be a new narrative.

They play better when no one gives them a chance so keep it coming it makes it all the more sweet. This morning TSN who does in fact have the television contract didn't even show the highites of the game on sports center haha.
So this inferiority thing, it runs in the water in Ottawa I guess?

Reactions: PickleRick

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Come on guys. I get why people are on Oilers fans, same reason they were on the Leafs after one bad game. They enjoy watching them eat crow after drowning people in how good they would be all year.

With that said, this is just an embarrassing thread. Does anyone think that the Oilers are a bottom 10 team? Does anyone think that Talbot is going to keep his .880 sv%? Look at some of the other goalies in there

Lehner .900
Matt Murray .899
Price .885
Andersen .880
Rask .870
Mason .831

Does anyone see a theme here? These guys are not career scrubs, they will all bounce back. Oilers also have really bad luck, things will even out eventually. McDavid has been off but every great player goes through slumps. He is slumping and still has what 4 points in 5 games or something? When he is on what will he be, 1.5PPG?

I think the issue is the same as the Leafs. People in their ears all summer telling them how great they are, and they come back and think their talent will just win them the cup. They aren't putting in the same effort they were before. This is on both coaching staff to get them to realize this and get them going.

Guarantee this thread looks ridiculous by Christmas.

Evergreen

Once Draisaitl gets back, I really think they should try Strome at RW on McDavid's line and Draisaitl back at C. That would greatly improve the offensive depth. Maybe even bring up Puljujarvi to aid in the offense.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I think chiarelli identified that the Oilers were soft and passive and needed more North - South physicality. Problem is, outside the kings nobody is winning like that anymore. It's all about speed and besides McD the Oilers just aren't fast enough. Puljajarvi needs to pan out in a big way so they have speed on the wings again.

Leafsmann

Jan 4, 2016
Having no depth, trading eberle for a worse player, and then not improving the defense hurts.

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
Talbot fell back down to earth it looks like.

If this keeps up, do they look for a goalie?

I knew this was going to happen. The Oilers played Talbot way too much last year. He played the most games out of any goaltender and he is probably burnt out.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
they have mcdavid, drai, talbot.

the rest of the team ain't good.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Ayyyy it's the first week of the season!

Ugh. What do you propose we talk about? I'm sick of every early season reaction being dismissed. If something totally unexpected is happening...then fine let's see how it plays out. But...
If Edmonton lacks forward depth on paper and then plays like they lack forward depth MAYBE we can draw some conclusions from it.
If Montreal struggles to score and are an offensively challenged team on paper MAYBE they are poor offensively.
If the Leafs were great offensively last year and improved their offence over the summer and start off with terrific offence MAYBE they are great offensively.
It's not that complicated, and its very much a discussion worth having.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So this inferiority thing, it runs in the water in Ottawa I guess?

What does this even mean? Are you suggesting something personal about me? I honestly dont understand your point. Would you prefer that we complain how no credit is given to the sens? Why bother its not going to change, we dont need our egos stroked like the other ontario team.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Edmonton doesn't look that bad, it's a small sample size. They are fine, just a bad start to the season.

Any team in this league can look like a bad team in any given 5 game sample. The Oilers just happened to look bad in the first 5. They'll bounce back.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
The last couple games McDavid has looked like a typical edm #1 overall pick. Hopefully he break s out of that...

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
What does this even mean? Are you suggesting something personal about me? I honestly dont understand your point. Would you prefer that we complain how no credit is given to the sens? Why bother its not going to change, we dont need our egos stroked like the other ontario team.
Coming into a thread about another team that just lost 3 in a row and badly last night and the conversation is on that team and you get a Sens fan with the "Oh of course the Sens being over looked againz!!" This thread had nothing to do with the Sens and nobody even brought them up. It's the inferiority complex that seems to make some Sens fans think they are being slighted all the time when they aren't lol Also not sure how you could think I was saying anything personal about you but hey.

Reactions: PickleRick

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
It will be interesting if they continue like this or bring up Puljujarvi which either could be rushing him or producing next to McDavid.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
The last couple games McDavid has looked like a typical edm #1 overall pick. Hopefully he break s out of that...

Everybody know that Mcdavid has 5 points in 4 games right? And yes he is playing not his standard

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
The way Edmonton is constructed makes them very top heavy upfront so when McDavid has a bad game or draisaitl is hurt it's going to be tough for them to get the run support needed to win games. That being said they aren't nearly as bad as they have been playing. It's most likely just a rough patch. At the very least Talbot should drastically improve and carry them to a couple wins going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad