Edmonton..looks bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The pressure of being Cup favourites was too much for these poor Oilers. The entire team apart from the top line and top D pairing looks terrible. The depth of the team is very poor.

Reactions: Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Going in, I didn't think they had enough depth. And it seems to be true, although this is a small sample size so things could change.

I expected them to be pretty good, though, like last year. I never expected them to start like this, or look this bad.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
One line team. Don't have a 1D (and the overall D isn't great either). Goalie is a career backup who over achieved last season. But as long as they have McDavid anything is possible.

Reactions: Brownbeard

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
McDavid will prevent this team from ever being average or below average. That said, not sure they have the pieces to actually be a serious cup contender right now.

And I've been watching this whole Sens/Oil game and Oilers do look pretty bad, but I assume its more of an off-night for them (plus they're missing Drai) than their norm.

He hasn't prevented back to back ass kickings, holla if ya hear me.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
McDavid has taken 10 faceoffs tonight a only won one of them.
He was 7 for 10 or something going in. Sens have good faceoff men, too. He needs work in the dot but most young players do, too. I'm sure he will be an elite FO man before long.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I don't think you'll find anyone outside of Edmonton who would call them a "good team".

Plenty of people outside Edmonton, called them Stanley Cup finalists. The reality is that they do still have a ton of defensive deficiencies and their forward group outside of McDavid and Drai isn't that great. Nug is overrated and overpaid, Strome is what he is, Lucic grinding style all his career is catching up to him, Maroon is a product of McDavid. How many Cup contenders have a low first round pick make their opening day roster and play top 6 minutes? I almost forgot Puli, his development hasn't gone as predicted either.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
This is what happens when hockey media boils it down to :

Well, McDavid is the next Crosby
Crosby has won several Cups right?
So CLEARLY McDavid is about to bring the Oilers along for the same ride

Problem with that is the Oilers team stinks. They have McDavid, a generational talent. After him they have a very good player in Drai, a very good goaltender in Talbot, and then a bunch of spare parts and mediocre players. Oh and an insanely overpaid, lousy Lucic. So they're already in cap hell before they even win a championship.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
well, everyone is saying the team has no depth. not easy to have depth with three players signed up for 27M $ of cap space. that's kind of crazy for a team that has achieved one decent playoff run.

Reactions: Spazkat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad