Edmonton..looks bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Wildly overrated, McDavid, Drai and otherwise a not great forward group, defense is also quite overrated, and we they got one year of Talbot producing vezina numbers...not exactly counting on it. Atrocious pick around here for cup favorites.

Edit: for the record, still think they make the playoffs cause the west has been going downhill for a couple years, but ranked second in cup favorites next to the Penguins? Said all offseason the Leafs are better, not going to start popping champagne yet but so far these two teams have offered no surprises to me.

Last edited:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Oilers are a one line team. Losing Ebs, Pitlick and Sekera has hurt the team more than I thought. Talbot is playing horrible as well. Once they get Sekera back fortunes may change a little. Yamamoto will improve but not sure he should be on the team this year. Other than Kassian and Nuge there is no one that can generate any offense other than MacD and Drai. Last year may prove a flash in the pan but the season is still young.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
Should probably blow the team up and trade McDavid. Maybe McDavid for Price straight up since the Habs are blowing up too.

Seriously, it's still early. Edmonton are currently the Vegas favorites to win the cup, they'll be fine - it's a long season.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
While it is still early, it is not uncommon for a team to take a step back after a break out season like the Oil enjoyed last season. That said I am not overly impressed with this team'so depth, they have an extremely top heavy offense with little to support it. An injury to a key player would devistate this team.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Wait, I thought HF ranked them as the #2 Cup contender? :naughty:

It is definitely still too early to pass judgment though.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Overreaction by more than half the posters in this thread. Multiple teams are having a putrid start to the season, but they - including the Oilers - will get back into playoffs position in time. Some other teams that are at the top right now (*cough* Detroit, New Jersey, Colorado, etc. *cough*) will get back down to earth very soon.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Eh the pacific is off to a slow start.. ducks are without basically their 4 best players... oilers havnt looked great... the sharks are basically what eveeyone expected a lottery team, kings look decent but i think theyll slow down... flames will stay solid all year but honestly its 2 weeks in nothing is set yet. By end of novemeber everything will look a lot different

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Once McDavid get going, and he will, the whole team will play at a higher level. He is not playing at his level now, which affects the whole team.

They will most definitely make the playoffs, but I don’t see them as a cup contender for another 2-3 years.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
These guys (RNH, Lucic, Strome, Maroon), they have no drive or heart. They don't put their head through a post to score or make a play. They're dead weight that add no positives on any level.
Last year Maroon was a god to Oilers fans. And Strome just replaced another soft forward. RNH should be an ok #2 C. Lucic, well most felt he as overpaid the day he signed.

The biggest issue is that everyone is waiting for McDavid to win then games every night. He covers up for what others lack, but he can't do it all.

But they will bounce back. People just freak out after a slow start.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Can someone tell McDavid to wake up? It would be a little annoying if Matthews outscored him this season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Edmonton is a 1 line team, and when Drai is in the lineup he should be driving the 2nd line to make them tougher to play against.
They potentially have the best 1/2C duo in the league so use it.

Bt still it's one week.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Once McDavid get going, and he will, the whole team will play at a higher level. He is not playing at his level now, which affects the whole team.

They will most definitely make the playoffs, but I don’t see them as a cup contender for another 2-3 years.

The problem is that McDavid can't pass to himself. I think he's been fine. It's the team around him that sucks.

Without McDavid, the Oilers have one of worst forward groups in the NHL. They really need Poolparty and Yamma to pan out.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Edmonton is among the top teams in the league in xGF%, and one of the bottom team's in the league in PDO. Statistically, they are very likely to start performing much better than they have so far. Patience is key.

Reactions: McBaevid and snipes

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
They have decent forward depth but it's become painfully apparent that the Oilers need a Matthews, Eichel, Crosby, Laine type star. McDavid is RNH 2.0.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
well, everyone is saying the team has no depth. not easy to have depth with three players signed up for 27M $ of cap space. that's kind of crazy for a team that has achieved one decent playoff run.

McD's extension hasn't started yet.

These guys (RNH, Lucic, Strome, Maroon), they have no drive or heart. They don't put their head through a post to score or make a play. They're dead weight that add no positives on any level.

Hyperbole much? it is a bad 3 game stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad