Edmonton..looks bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Was this a team who overachieved last season? They look awful in every area. What gives?
they have some good pieces. not a lot of depth. not a well managed team. buy enough high end pieces that they're a near lock for the playoffs. it'll sort itself out.

Reactions: Kyyrii

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Well, the teams missing Andrej Sekera, who was a their 3rd best defencemen and played a key role on special teams, and boys haven't been skating. But I think the is just missing Sekera, and everyone hasn't stepped up to fill that role.

But some players are quietly having a good seasons like Darnell Nurse and Hopkins, who I feel have been the best defencemen and forward on the team!
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Well, the teams missing Andrej Sekera, who was a their 3rd best defencemen and played a key role on special teams, and boys haven't been skating. But I think the is just missing Sekera, and everyone hasn't stepped up to fill that role.

But some players are quietly having a good seasons like Darnell Nurse and Hopkins, who I feel have been the best defencemen and forward on the team!
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]

That's a poor excuse; every team goes through injuries. Oilers last year were unrealistically healthy; if they cannot survive without a player like Sekera...wow, Chiarelli should start looking for a new job.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
I think Talbot is coming back down to Earth. I could be wrong but I've seen it so many times through the NHL. A hot career backup plays lights out gets signed as a starter and comes back down to Earth.

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
they have some good pieces. not a lot of depth. not a well managed team. buy enough high end pieces that they're a near lock for the playoffs. it'll sort itself out.
Not well managed? They have a great coach. And EDM fans talked about cup runs all off-season with the team they have on the ice now.

I think it's just the fact that Talbot isn't an elite guy like people were trying to push last year and it's still really only a team with 2 good forwards and a very average defense. I think Yamamoto will end up an amazing wing for McDavid one day but I think they dropped the ball on what they thought was a steal in pool party.

There's always 1 team that overachieves and falls back to earth the next year that's what looks like is happening here.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
That's a poor excuse; every team goes through injuries. Oilers last year were unrealistically healthy; if they cannot survive without a player like Sekera...wow, Chiarelli should start looking for a new job.

It's not just the Sekera injury! A lot of key players haven't been playing to the best of their ability like McDavid, Klefbom and Tablot. Talbot having a sub .900 save percentage isn't going to win us hockey games, but the players aren't really supporting him either.

I think the Oilers will still make the playoffs this year, and that this just a phase which will they get out of soon.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Not well managed? They have a great coach. And EDM fans talked about cup runs all off-season with the team they have on the ice now.

I think it's just the fact that Talbot isn't an elite guy like people were trying to push last year and it's still really only a team with 2 good forwards and a very average defense. I think Yamamoto will end up an amazing wing for McDavid one day but I think they dropped the ball on what they thought was a steal in pool party.

There's always 1 team that overachieves and falls back to earth the next year that's what looks like is happening here.

Exactly, the cup parade down has simmered a little now after it was heating up from the Vegas odds a couple months ago. Oilers fans forgot how difficult it is to build a championship caliber club and thought after 1 playoffs they were heading into a dynasty...10 years of no playoffs caused mass delusions to the Oilers radio hosts who feed the fans.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012

If the Kings missed the playoffs after a Cup win with better pieces than why is Edmonton a near lock?

Too many JAGs on this Oilers team. I dont like anyone outside of McDavid, Drai and Klefbom.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
McDavid will prevent this team from ever being average or below average. That said, not sure they have the pieces to actually be a serious cup contender right now.

And I've been watching this whole Sens/Oil game and Oilers do look pretty bad, but I assume its more of an off-night for them (plus they're missing Drai) than their norm.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McDavid will prevent this team from ever being average or below average. That said, not sure they have the pieces to actually be a serious cup contender right now.

And I've been watching this whole Sens/Oil game and Oilers do look pretty bad, but I assume its more of an off-night for them (plus they're missing Drai) than their norm.
I'd say most Oiler fans would hesitate from calling the Oilers a contender too. Even if we'd win the division, that doesn't guarantee playoff success, and last playoffs the youth of the best players was an obstacle, whereas the veteran Ducks would pull out wins with their savvy

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Their depth forwards and defensemen overachieved last year and fooled management into thinking they didn't need to add anything. Should never have been satisfied with guys like Maroon, Caggiula, Benning, Russell, etc.

Sekera's injury has left them with only 2 top 4 defensemen. The bottom 4 outside of Nurse are almost always a detriment when they're on the ice.

They're also probably shooting less than 5% as a team so far this year.

Reactions: biturbo19

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
I'd say most Oiler fans would hesitate from calling the Oilers a contender too. Even if we'd win the division, that doesn't guarantee playoff success, and last playoffs the youth of the best players was an obstacle, whereas the veteran Ducks would pull out wins with their savvy

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->