Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread | reg season starts... 6-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Esks.com is showing a search error. I've tried three times today, and I'm not patient enough to keep trying or to call the office if I'm not actually buying. However, I see $44 and $32 options. I wanted to see where those seats are to see how desirable they are but those are good prices. If you can get decent seats (maybe upper deck between the 20s - nothing wrong with that; that's where I sit). If they're crappy seats just move. I can't blame casual fans for not buying when it's really cold but what about up to late September? The place should be packed tomorrow for the Lions but I know it won't be.

They want too much, i used to go to nearly every game but i'm not paying nearly 80 dollars for me and my wife to go, or 40 bucks to go myself. 32 with service charge isn't a good deal, i'll just watch at home and drink cheap beer and cheap snacks instead of dealing with the **** show prices for concessions. I go once or so a year now, the Esks got greedy.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
They want too much, i used to go to nearly every game but i'm not paying nearly 80 dollars for me and my wife to go, or 40 bucks to go myself. 32 with service charge isn't a good deal, i'll just watch at home and drink cheap beer and cheap snacks instead of dealing with the **** show prices for concessions. I go once or so a year now, the Esks got greedy.

Lol. Nothing personal but lol.

I'll elaborate. Did you buy Oilers tickets during the decade of doom? Sorry, I don't see how any fan could see $40 as expensive for live sports. Way better than watching in tv.

Last edited:

camboy

Oct 16, 2003
Victoria, BC
The Esks have 14 men on the 6 game injured list. That has to be a record considering it is only week five. We will need an act of God to beat the Lions this Friday.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'm pretty sure you buy them at IGA their still 30 bucks or so.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Lol. Nothing personal but lol.

I'll elaborate. Did you buy Oilers tickets during the decade of doom? Sorry, I don't see how any fan could see $40 as expensive for live sports. Way better than watching in tv.

No. I've never bought an Oiler ticket in my life because it's poor value. I've had plenty given to me though so i go to a few games a year. I have bought Oil King tickets though because they're more reasonably priced in the 20's iirc. I think that's a lot more comparable because the Oil Kings don't sell out like the Eskimos. Even worse unlike the Esks they don't have a 60'000 seat venue. The Oilers sell out while the Eskimos have experienced a decline in attendance for a decade now (apparently that gets a GM fired). In fact if i had to shell out big coin to go to one of the Oilers or the Eskimos i'd go to an Eskimo game because I think the atmosphere is way better.

They've priced people like me out is what i'm saying. I can afford it but the reason i'm doing well financially is because i don't make frivolous purchases and i consider the value of these things. I'm not saying it's not worth it for some or crazy outrageous, and i have thought hard about season tickets before, i just don't think it's good value so it's hard for me to justify going to more than a game or two a year. I also don't think it's a winning strategy. Let's put it this way if i could get seats at the box office for 25 bucks i'd probably go to 5 or more games a year. 125 dollars from me in ticket sales is way better than the 40-80 they get now. Nevermind i'd probably even take my nephews to the games and my wife would be more inclined to go. More people makes it a better atmosphere too.

I love the Eskimos and ive probably been to nearly 100 games in my life but over the past half a decade i go less and less. Life gets in the way but it's a lot easier not to be tore up about it when i'm not shelling out 40 bucks. 40 bucks is expensive for the CFL, the Eskimos niche in the market is based on affordability, that's why i went as a kid and that's why i'm a fan to this day. Charging 40 bucks a ticket is part of the reason attendance is declining and when less kids go today the Esks will have less fans tomorrow. Other markets are considerably cheaper. The Eskimos have 15'000 more seats than the Stamps do yet they charge the highest prices in the league. 44 dollars for the BC game gets you a crappy seat, 68 gets you a solid but still upper deck seat. That's obscene for the CFL and for families to afford. The Eskimos aren't priced competitively and the proof is around the league and in the declining attendance.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I'm pretty sure you buy them at IGA their still 30 bucks or so.

Yeah i know 30 bucks for the worst seats in the house. Trust me the Eskimos would sell a lot more tickets if they dropped the price point of each one by 10 bucks or so. The argument that Live is better than on TV holds a lot less weight when you're in the nosebleeds and across from an endzone.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Esks.com is showing a search error. I've tried three times today, and I'm not patient enough to keep trying or to call the office if I'm not actually buying. However, I see $44 and $32 options. I wanted to see where those seats are to see how desirable they are but those are good prices. If you can get decent seats (maybe upper deck between the 20s - nothing wrong with that; that's where I sit). If they're crappy seats just move. I can't blame casual fans for not buying when it's really cold but what about up to late September? The place should be packed tomorrow for the Lions but I know it won't be.

Not any more. Last game has perfect westher and a huge 50/50. Got 36.000. Sad.

Will be the biggest crowd of the year, too.
Especially with the ufc event being the same night as the stamps game.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Miraculous comeback by the Bombers tonight. Two TDs in the final 45 seconds to win 41-40.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Tough to say. K-Days is going on and have live music for free now. Then you add that the weather is looking quite good and you have quite a few people that are looking to leave town.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007

Decent seats are available for as low as about $28 a game if you get season tickets. For those of us who like to see the best level of live football that's available up here, that's still a deal that's tough to pass up.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Decent seats are available for as low as about $28 a game if you get season tickets. For those of us who like to see the best level of live football that's available up here, that's still a deal that's tough to pass up.

Quoted for truth.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
When they shut CW's down they were quite clear that they wanted less booze flowing at the games.

Building that big, don't see why they can't have adult only sections or family only sections.

That is when attendance started to slowly diminish.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So ya you have to A. Really like the CFL and B. Be able to afford season tickets.

The fact is the league needs the gate and isn't getting it. In Edmonton they've tried gimmicks, maybe next is to actually drop prices to get more people interested

The bar that was at the North end of the stadium.

They shut it down because too many people were standing around drinking there. It was taking away from the "family" experience.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Totally agree! Tiks have rapidly become too overpriced. I used to go to most of the games as well when I could get tiks for ~$20. I would always get a footlong as well. This is what the lowest tik prices should be. I know there are lots of people that will say you can still get tiks for "only" $30 but $20-25 is my personal limit as far as how much I'm willing to spend. And I know a lot of people who feel the same way. When I sit on the fence as to whether to go, having it at ~$30 just basically always pushes me to choose to stay home. We used to be able to get tiks outside the stadium for ~$10 (as low as $5 and high as $15). A couple years ago when one of the scalpers asked me how much I want to pay for his tiks, I said $15 and he told me to F#$% off.
Yes esks got greedy and have probably lost thousands of ticket paying fans as a result. I likely won't be going to anymore games until they reduce prices back down to $20.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Boy, All you fans...............???

All you fans are getting spoiled.............compare an Oiler game ticket to an Eskimos game.............the last Oilers game (I attended) for medium seats in the upper deck cost what.............$99 versus $30 for an Esk football game?

And people are complaining?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
All you fans are getting spoiled.............compare an Oiler game ticket to an Eskimos game.............the last Oilers game (I attended) for medium seats in the upper deck cost what.............$99 versus $30 for an Esk football game?

Except the Oilers sellout every game. Kind of a big difference.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

To be sure, people like to complain but when you look at the price of EE tickets over the years it has remained very reasonable especially compared to the NFL. During a visit to Chicago's Soldier Field last year I was told that the NFL tickets have become more or less a distant dream for the lower income classes. Not so in Edmonton and of course if you want to complain about the quality of CFL games then try watching the Bears for a while.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016

You should be comparing Esks prices to Oil Kings rather than the Oilers.

Oilers prices would be compared against NFL prices if you wanted to do a comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad