Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread | reg season starts... 6-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think part of the problem is that the NFL television broadcasts are 100x more immersive and entertaining than CFL broadcasts. CFL broadcasts are noticeably more boring than NFL broadcasts, to the point that it feels like something is missing when watching a CFL game. NFL games are theatre, with the build up and the drama during the game. In contrast, CFL games look like they're being played in someone's backyard.

I think the younger generation prefers, and maybe requires more stimulation to watch live sports on television. NFL broadcasts tend to hide how slow and drawn out the game actually is, whereas CFL broadcasts seem to emphasize it. The gap in production value has grown immensely in the last decade or so, which may explain why people are turning away from the CFL.

That's unavoidable.

CFL games are played in front of (usually) half-full second-rate stadiums.

NFL games are played in front of packed world-class stadiums.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
If they got the pricing schemes right they'd be full second rate stadiums but I digress.

Shouldn't be 50+ dollars for cfl cheap seats.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
It's not $50+. I don't know what my season's tickets cost per game but it's not that, and I just purchased an extra ticket for a friend and it was $35. The agent knows me so he gave me a deal.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
That's unavoidable.

CFL games are played in front of (usually) half-full second-rate stadiums.

NFL games are played in front of packed world-class stadiums.

Half full yes I agree but second rate? The 4 new CFL parks are beautiful (especially Sask) and Commonwealth Stadium (IMHO) is as beautiful a stadium as I have seen anywhere in the world.

I toured the Cowboys stadium when I was in Dallas and to be honest, didn't think it was gorgeous.

I was also in Chicago last November and believe me Soldier Field is anything but good looking, ditto for the Stadium that the Panthers play in.

Last edited:

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Re: broadcasts...I think another part of the equation is that the NFL has multiple networks covering the league, so each network feels the pressure to step up their game and air a better presentation than their competitors.

Meanwhile, TSN gets to do pretty much whatever they want and feel few to no repercussions.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
It's not $50+. I don't know what my season's tickets cost per game but it's not that, and I just purchased an extra ticket for a friend and it was $35. The agent knows me so he gave me a deal.

not everyone had an agent who knows them that can give them a deal.
nor can everyone buy seasons tickets to get a lower average price. many people just want or cna just manage to get to one or two games a year.

I just went online .
let's say I want two tickets to take my buddy to a game Friday. the cheapest seats I could get cost $100.50 before gst. (crappy seats, too) so yeah. it's fair to say it's $50+ a game to go see the esks

even the save-on huddle tickets cost $28.50 now. and the only way to enjoy those seats are to move somewhere else in the stadium.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Re: broadcasts...I think another part of the equation is that the NFL has multiple networks covering the league, so each network feels the pressure to step up their game and air a better presentation than their competitors.

Meanwhile, TSN gets to do pretty much whatever they want and feel few to no repercussions.

TSN can't exactly afford to put up a ****** production either though. They really can't afford to lose the CFL once their current contract is up.

It's in TSN and CFL best interests to work together and put together the best show they can.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
not everyone had an agent who knows them that can give them a deal.
nor can everyone buy seasons tickets to get a lower average price. many people just want or cna just manage to get to one or two games a year.

I just went online .
let's say I want two tickets to take my buddy to a game Friday. the cheapest seats I could get cost $100.50 before gst. (crappy seats, too) so yeah. it's fair to say it's $50+ a game to go see the esks

even the save-on huddle tickets cost $28.50 now. and the only way to enjoy those seats are to move somewhere else in the stadium.
Which isn't exactly hard to do.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Season tickets give you a significant discount, but yes it is $50 per game now for a walk-up now to sit way up high. Which is ridiculous, and explains why the walk up crowd is small compared to in the past. Not sure why they wouldn't just make these tickets $20 to get people into the building. They'll make it up by buying extra beer. Which should also go back to being $5 instead of $7 or $8. Cheap tickets and booze will bring a lot of young people to the stadium.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Which isn't exactly hard to do.

true, but I think moneyguy was being disingenuous when he says tickets don't cost $50. for the most part they do.
especially when he "proves" his point buy saying he purchased an extra ticket for only $35 because the agent knows him.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/football/finally+play+canadian+football+video+game+just+without+teams/13899562/story.html
Interesting notes about the latest CFL game released yesterday. I actually saw it on Steam last night and though about picking it up but not if they weren't going to have licensed teams and players. I don't get why the CFL doesn't get behind stuff like this. Just reiterating what everyone is saying, they don't do a good job at marketing at all.

it is simply astounding that they didn't even get a call back.... at least it would be astounding if it wasn't the CFL, and this kind of incompetence wasn't just expected

so rather than get some money, and a video game that they can use to grow their brand with the younger (important) audience, the league has no money, and no growth opportunity.... idiots, idiots as far as the eye can see

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Season tickets give you a significant discount, but yes it is $50 per game now for a walk-up now to sit way up high. Which is ridiculous, and explains why the walk up crowd is small compared to in the past. Not sure why they wouldn't just make these tickets $20 to get people into the building. They'll make it up by buying extra beer. Which should also go back to being $5 instead of $7 or $8. Cheap tickets and booze will bring a lot of young people to the stadium.

Indeed. As a young guy myself I had season seats for a few years till oil crashed (and my cash flow along with it). In those days I could easily convince a buddy or two to grab walk up tickets to nearly every game. Was like 20 bucks a shot, then they'd atleast double that total when including beer.

Now it's a tough sell... a walk up ticket and beer ends up costing nearly the same as a streaming connection to literally every NFL game. And the reality is the so called prime entertainment demographic has less purchasing power (ie income vs cost of living), more debt (school is now much more expensive and much more necessary), more fixed expenses (try maintaining a job now a days without a smart phone / internet), and to cap it off they also have a significantly larger number of cost effective entertainment options.

Frankly before someone buys season seats they'll buy singles to try the product... frankly $50+ bucks to get in the door just isn't feasible. I like the product and have since I was a kid and that's a tough sell for me; to my friends who havnt been life long fans it's a ludacris price point.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/football/finally+play+canadian+football+video+game+just+without+teams/13899562/story.html
Interesting notes about the latest CFL game released yesterday. I actually saw it on Steam last night and though about picking it up but not if they weren't going to have licensed teams and players. I don't get why the CFL doesn't get behind stuff like this. Just reiterating what everyone is saying, they don't do a good job at marketing at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFL/comments/6o45z6/canadian_football_2017_mod_project_now_with_a/

Might be worth it.

Real silly the cfl isn't in on it.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
Indeed. As a young guy myself I had season seats for a few years till oil crashed (and my cash flow along with it). In those days I could easily convince a buddy or two to grab walk up tickets to nearly every game. Was like 20 bucks a shot, then they'd atleast double that total when including beer.

Now it's a tough sell... a walk up ticket and beer ends up costing nearly the same as a streaming connection to literally every NFL game. And the reality is the so called prime entertainment demographic has less purchasing power (ie income vs cost of living), more debt (school is now much more expensive and much more necessary), more fixed expenses (try maintaining a job now a days without a smart phone / internet), and to cap it off they also have a significantly larger number of cost effective entertainment options.

Frankly before someone buys season seats they'll buy singles to try the product... frankly $50+ bucks to get in the door just isn't feasible. I like the product and have since I was a kid and that's a tough sell for me; to my friends who havnt been life long fans it's a ludacris price point.

Wow just checked prices for tomorrow's game and cheapest is $44 plus $6 service charge for a $50 total to sit in section Z row 22. Days of getting tickets off kijiji for $10-$15 each are probably gone then.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
When they shut CW's down they were quite clear that they wanted less booze flowing at the games.

Building that big, don't see why they can't have adult only sections or family only sections.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Good post. Puts a lot in perspective.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I dunno it's be one thing if the seats were full and my demographic was pushed out, but with only half the seats full?

Doesn't make sense currently, imo.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

It's free marketing, they're stupid. Hell work with the developer and offer discounts to the game to fans who come to the games, it's another incentive to come out and the game gets exposure. Hopefully the new commissioner can do something about these weird decisions. They don't understand how to bring in young fans, a video game should be a massive priority. They should be helping finance it if anything.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, as for the football field itself:

Maston is in for the suspended Peters in B.C. This guy is a real hitter and sooner or later will be tough to keep out of the lineup.

I think Hightower will also return soon so that is a nice problem to have for the EE.

Yikes, 13 guys on the 6 game injured reserve list including Greenwood, his replacement Konar and his replacement Smith.

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Esks.com is showing a search error. I've tried three times today, and I'm not patient enough to keep trying or to call the office if I'm not actually buying. However, I see $44 and $32 options. I wanted to see where those seats are to see how desirable they are but those are good prices. If you can get decent seats (maybe upper deck between the 20s - nothing wrong with that; that's where I sit). If they're crappy seats just move. I can't blame casual fans for not buying when it's really cold but what about up to late September? The place should be packed tomorrow for the Lions but I know it won't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad