Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread | reg season starts... 6-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Agreed, but consider that the Stamps just beat a team 60-1 that the Esks beat by a field goal last week.

If you want to play that game, the Eskimos also beat Montreal and Ottawa, the teams that beat and tied the Stamps.

Until the Eskimos play the stamps, we can't really judge who is better.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
There isn't any question that the Esks and Stamps are the deepest teams in the league.

BC, Winnipeg and Toronto have good front end talent, but nowhere near the depth.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Well it looks good on Eric Tillman. It is unbelievable that this guy has another GM position in the CFL. Proof positive that the old boys club is totally unrepentant.

I didn't realize they hired Tillman as GM. Austin has proven himself to be a good head coach in this league so I figured the problem had to be above him in management and recruitment. I just didn't know who their GM was. Tillman in charge explains a lot. I wonder if he's still trying to do the job from his home in the US and if he has much contact with those below him. What a terrible hire. After his fiasco here, coming off his fiasco in Regina, I can't believe he got a job somewhere else.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I didn't realize they hired Tillman as GM. Austin has proven himself to be a good head coach in this league so I figured the problem had to be above him in management and recruitment. I just didn't know who their GM was. Tillman in charge explains a lot. I wonder if he's still trying to do the job from his home in the US and if he has much contact with those below him. What a terrible hire. After his fiasco here, coming off his fiasco in Regina, I can't believe he got a job somewhere else.

I agree, I was also shocked to learn this and I don't remember any announcement on it. I knew he was in a senior scouting position with the Ticats but I was curious the other day as to who was GM so I looked it up and unless the website has it wrong, there he is:shakehead

Even if you put personalities aside (and assume that ET is a nice guy) his departures from Sask. and Edmonton would make anyone shudder at the thoughts of him again taking the reigns. It was just a complete PR, operations and football field disaster.

I think that Austin talked Bob Young into doing it because its all that weepy old boy football buddy stuff. Sunderland would have been a far better pick at the GM position for the Ti-Cats.

The thing about the blowout last night and this hiring is that it again weakens a CFL franchise and in a league that is struggling you just can't have that. Let's face it you don't often see 60 point blowouts in the NFL so it again gives fuel to the CFL critics who call us bush league. I do know that nobody in the NFL would have hired this walking disaster again. Maybe its just an interim thing--let's hope that for the sake of the CFL it is.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I agree, I was also shocked to learn this and I don't remember any announcement on it. I knew he was in a senior scouting position with the Ticats but I was curious the other day as to who was GM so I looked it up and unless the website has it wrong, there he is:shakehead

Even if you put personalities aside (and assume that ET is a nice guy) his departures from Sask. and Edmonton would make anyone shudder at the thoughts of him again taking the reigns. It was just a complete PR, operations and football field disaster.

I think that Austin talked Bob Young into doing it because its all that weepy old boy football buddy stuff. Sunderland would have been a far better pick at the GM position for the Ti-Cats.

The thing about the blowout last night and this hiring is that it again weakens a CFL franchise and in a league that is struggling you just can't have that. Let's face it you don't often see 60 point blowouts in the NFL so it again gives fuel to the CFL critics who call us bush league. I do know that nobody in the NFL would have hired this walking disaster again. Maybe its just an interim thing--let's hope that for the sake of the CFL it is.

This isn't unique to the CFL, or even football. Any coach or executive that was even moderately successful for a season or two seems to have guaranteed employment for the next decade or longer. Once you're in the club, you have to do something completely disastrous to get kicked out. Danny Maciocia burnt the New York Yankees of the CFL to the ground in two years and still gets mentioned as a candidate for open jobs, and in fact apparently turned the Alouettes GM job down...paving the way for Kavis to accept it :laugh:

Austin has almost full control of the Ti-Cats, and should be falling on the sword along with the rest of them IMO. Their offense is terrible, and this is supposed to be his bread and butter. No run game to speak of, receiving corps is trash. Last night was reminiscent of the Argos losing a game by 40-some points to get their coach fired (was it Huard?) back a decade or so ago. This is a coach that has now lost 15 out of the last 19 games. A couple Grey Cup appearances several years ago is a distant memory when that happens.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This isn't unique to the CFL, or even football. Any coach or executive that was even moderately successful for a season or two seems to have guaranteed employment for the next decade or longer. Once you're in the club, you have to do something completely disastrous to get kicked out. Danny Maciocia burnt the New York Yankees of the CFL to the ground in two years and still gets mentioned as a candidate for open jobs, and in fact apparently turned the Alouettes GM job down...paving the way for Kavis to accept it :laugh:

Austin has almost full control of the Ti-Cats, and should be falling on the sword along with the rest of them IMO. Their offense is terrible, and this is supposed to be his bread and butter. No run game to speak of, receiving corps is trash. Last night was reminiscent of the Argos losing a game by 40-some points to get their coach fired (was it Huard?) back a decade or so ago. This is a coach that has now lost 15 out of the last 19 games. A couple Grey Cup appearances several years ago is a distant memory when that happens.

DM or Kavis Reed as GM:laugh::laugh::laugh: That's like choosing between Ren and Stimpy.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'd still take Kavis over Maccioca. With Kavis in charge you know that if things go wrong there will be consequences.:laugh:

Yes, like further disintegration:laugh: I remember the famous "consequences" rant that went viral around the World. I also remember in that last game of his reign how he and Kerry Joseph were holding hands and laughing on the sidelines instead of putting paper bags over their heads. That day some rookie returner took it to the house (I don't remember his name) or it would have been a 3-15 season but instead it was a still disastrous 4-14 campaign.

At the same time a few people who worked inside the igloo told me that the situation with ET was so toxic that no one wanted to come to work. Indeed, that season was the nadir of the EE franchise in the last 40 years. Let's hope that neither of these guys ever show up on our radar again:) I would actually take DM over these 2 turkeys if only because I was told he was a nice guy. That's at least something.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Hamilton should hire Ed Hervey.

The thing with Hamilton is Austin is the #1 guy despite Tillman being GM, in fact iirc it was essentially Austin who hired him. Tillman is there to help Austin out with the GM duties and i don't really see Austin as being a guy who will operate under a guy like Hervey who will want to be #1.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Anyone else go to the game and get $100 off at Kal Tire and then get home and realize it expired 7 months before they handed it out? :laugh:

What a prize.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
DM or Kavis Reed as GM:laugh::laugh::laugh: That's like choosing between Ren and Stimpy.

To be fair, Kavis hasn't established himself as a poor GM yet. With Danny there is no doubt. Wouldn't hire him to run a hot dog stand at Commonwealth.

Anyone else go to the game and get $100 off at Kal Tire and then get home and realize it expired 7 months before they handed it out? :laugh:

What a prize.

Mine expires at the end of 2017...must have sent a bad batch to your exit?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

What a prize.
I saw that on Twitter. Kal Tire said they will honour them.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
My coupon is good until Dec. 31, too. Unfortunately, I bought new tires two days earlier. Damn!

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
To be fair, Kavis hasn't established himself as a poor GM yet. With Danny there is no doubt. Wouldn't hire him to run a hot dog stand at Commonwealth.

Mine expires at the end of 2017...must have sent a bad batch to your exit?

Ya, I went with 7 other friends and they all got ones expiring December 31, 2016 as well, all at the same exit.

As a season ticket holder, don't remember them giving these out last year, so it's possible it just didn't make sense to reprint thousands of them to change one number.

And since its based on points from the team, pretty easy for Kal Tire to honor as well.

Daddy needs new winter tires!

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The thing with Hamilton is Austin is the #1 guy despite Tillman being GM, in fact iirc it was essentially Austin who hired him. Tillman is there to help Austin out with the GM duties and i don't really see Austin as being a guy who will operate under a guy like Hervey who will want to be #1.

So what you are saying essentially is that the GM reports to the HC? No wonder there is already trouble with this franchise with a move like that. Rest assured that ET will cause a lot more problems before he is once again swept out the door. If Austin gets the axe then who exactly is supposed to fire him:popcorn:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Austin is the VP of Football Operations (in addition to HC). He WAS the GM as well, but I believe he hired Tillman to look after things like contract negotiations and some scouting so that he didn't have to juggle so many different roles.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Like I said in the CFL thread, the talent level across the league has never been higher. In an ordinary year, this Ti-Cats roster would probably be good enough for .500.

But this year they've fallen far behind the curve.

Case in point - every other team has at least 2 impact receivers. The Ti-Cats don't even have one. Tasker is OK but he'd be #2 or #3 on every other team.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Like I said in the CFL thread, the talent level across the league has never been higher. In an ordinary year, this Ti-Cats roster would probably be good enough for .500.

But this year they've fallen far behind the curve.

Case in point - every other team has at least 2 impact receivers. The Ti-Cats don't even have one. Tasker is OK but he'd be #2 or #3 on every other team.

Helps as well that impact players - especially QBs - have remained healthy thus far. Previous years saw several starting QBs on IR early and often. Jennings is the only one to go down thus far, and BC essentially has a starter for a back-up anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad