Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread | reg season starts... 6-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wonder if teams will stop giving so much power to one guy. It rarely works. Outside of Wally Buono, not many have been able to handle being both the coach and GM. Makes it even worse when you make them Vice President of football ops too. Too many jobs for one guy to do by himself and the end result is nothing gets done right.

Austin is a good coach, should have just stuck with doing that. He looks like he's lost now. Not enough talent on his roster and the team hasn't looked properly prepared in most of their games. After the embarrassing Calgary loss, I wonder if they make some kinds of changes.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
So what you are saying essentially is that the GM reports to the HC? No wonder there is already trouble with this franchise with a move like that. Rest assured that ET will cause a lot more problems before he is once again swept out the door. If Austin gets the axe then who exactly is supposed to fire him:popcorn:

It's not unusual in football for the coach to be the #1 guy, lots of NFL teams are run this way with some not even having a GM.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It's not unusual in football for the coach to be the #1 guy, lots of NFL teams are run this way with some not even having a GM.

I don't study the NFL that much but ok I get it. However, with regards to the T-Cats and Tillman as GM I still say that this is very poor judgement and can only add to the league's perception woes.

Figure head or not I simply would not give a person like this the title of GM. Austin's loyalty is to some extent admirable but way over done. I think he may come to regret his decision the same way that the EE BOD did.

As the old expression goes "it's never your fault but you are always there."

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Maybe not uncommon, but besides New England, this ends poorly in most cases. I'm not sure how many NFL teams are really run this way at the moment, but it's not many. Maybe Tomlin, Payton, and Carroll, in addition to Hoodie.

Hufnagel played his hand right in Calgary. Build up the organization while you have full control, but groom another coach to take over before you get stale. Jim Popp did this for a while, but eventually overrated his own ability to coach and had a poor eye for alternatives and it went down the toilet.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Maybe not uncommon, but besides New England, this ends poorly in most cases. I'm not sure how many NFL teams are really run this way at the moment, but it's not many. Maybe Tomlin, Payton, and Carroll, in addition to Hoodie.

Hufnagel played his hand right in Calgary. Build up the organization while you have full control, but groom another coach to take over before you get stale. Jim Popp did this for a while, but eventually overrated his own ability to coach and had a poor eye for alternatives and it went down the toilet.

I think teams are slowly moving away from this model in the NFL, but it used to be quite prevalent.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Really like what I am seeing from Reilly so far this season.
There is one thing he needs to work on though if he wants to prolong his career. Her takes too many hits because of poor decision making. He needs to know when to bail on a play. Case in point...an obvious example was in the Hamilton game (early 2nd quarter I believe) Reilly hung onto the ball until the last possible second and ended up taking a hit even though he ultimately threw it away. Each time he knew the defender was coming in on him.
This seems to happen 2-3 times a game and its completely unnecessary. It serves no purpose and he is taking hits (sometimes big hits) he doesn't need to take. He really needs to bail well before the defensive player is within reach of hitting him.
Aside from that Reilly game is looking very good this season.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
There is one thing he needs to work on though if he wants to prolong his career. Her takes too many hits because of poor decision making. He needs to know when to bail on a play. Case in point...an obvious example was in the Hamilton game (early 2nd quarter I believe) Reilly hung onto the ball until the last possible second and ended up taking a hit even though he ultimately threw it away. Each time he knew the defender was coming in on him.
This seems to happen 2-3 times a game and its completely unnecessary. It serves no purpose and he is taking hits (sometimes big hits) he doesn't need to take. He really needs to bail well before the defensive player is within reach of hitting him.

Reilly is Dan Kepley all over again. He plays with that do-or-die-trying attitude. Kep once said that the other guy may be bigger and stronger but Kep would never, ever, ever give up. He never did.

Neither does Reilly and that has and likely will again get him badly hurt. It's a good thing Frank is there and capable for when the inevitable happens. It's just a matter of time. Mass has talked to Reilly about this but it's not his nature to hold back.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I love a QB that will stand in there and take a hit to make the pass. But when you can't find anyone open and you're dancing around in there with nowhere to go, I wish he'd just chuck the ball away from danger, instead of getting clobbered and taking the sack. I've said this before, we lose Franklin this off season (probable), we'd better be getting some damned good options to replace Reilly because the way he plays is not conducive to any type of longevity.

As an aside, I can't ever remember a QB taking the type of severe punishment that Buck Pierce absorbed. Man, did he ever take some helacious hits. And I think it was a lot more than bad luck or being a gamer and an aggressive runner. I think a lot of times he put himself in bad situations where the inevitable beatings occured.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Often teams in the NFL have a GM who's behind the coach in the pecking order in regards to personnel decisions, they negotiate contracts, deal with the scouts and draft, ect... but the coach in many cases determines who plays, who gets cut, how much money a guy is worth even if he isn't negotiating or he'll just cut him, positions of need in the draft, ect... With the dynamic of a football team it makes a lot of sense for the coach to be more powerful since the personnel allows them to implement their gameplan and they need so many situational players. The NFL isn't like the NHL in that all teams more or less operate the same in regards to authority of a position, in the NFL it fluctuates greatly from organization to organization.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Often teams in the NFL have a GM who's behind the coach in the pecking order in regards to personnel decisions, they negotiate contracts, deal with the scouts and draft, ect... but the coach in many cases determines who plays, who gets cut, how much money a guy is worth even if he isn't negotiating or he'll just cut him, positions of need in the draft, ect... With the dynamic of a football team it makes a lot of sense for the coach to be more powerful since the personnel allows them to implement their gameplan and they need so many situational players. The NFL isn't like the NHL in that all teams more or less operate the same in regards to authority of a position, in the NFL it fluctuates greatly from organization to organization.

Which teams are you specifically referring to?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I love a QB that will stand in there and take a hit to make the pass. But when you can't find anyone open and you're dancing around in there with nowhere to go, I wish he'd just chuck the ball away from danger, instead of getting clobbered and taking the sack. I've said this before, we lose Franklin this off season (probable), we'd better be getting some damned good options to replace Reilly because the way he plays is not conducive to any type of longevity.

As an aside, I can't ever remember a QB taking the type of severe punishment that Buck Pierce absorbed. Man, did he ever take some helacious hits. And I think it was a lot more than bad luck or being a gamer and an aggressive runner. I think a lot of times he put himself in bad situations where the inevitable beatings occured.

Good to have your irreverent opinions back on the thread, I hate political correctness:laugh:

Yes, Franklin may in fact be the most naturally gifted of the two QB's but Reilly is an example of that old expression about "will to win." Dickenson was a similar player with the Stamps, not necessarily the most gifted but absolutely tough as nails. If he was a rodeo performer he would definitely be a bull rider.

One of these days our luck will run out and unfortunately Franklin will be gone after this year but you can't hold Franklin back forever. I wonder if it will be Hamilton or Saskatchewan? With Jones and Tillman its an unsavoury choice.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Reilly is Dan Kepley all over again. He plays with that do-or-die-trying attitude. Kep once said that the other guy may be bigger and stronger but Kep would never, ever, ever give up. He never did.

Neither does Reilly and that has and likely will again get him badly hurt. It's a good thing Frank is there and capable for when the inevitable happens. It's just a matter of time. Mass has talked to Reilly about this but it's not his nature to hold back.

I like that Reilly never gives up...its part of what makes him such a great leader. I would just like him to be a bit smarter.
I am in no rush to see Reilly as anything but a healthy #1 QB.

I think that one small change would add years to his career. As I mentioned to Moneyguy I am a Reilly fan and as a fan I hope he has a long career. He is a pleasure to watch.
I cant imagine why he wouldn't be open to any advice that would help him to be a smarter QB.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
It's just who Reilly is. I can still remember the 2015 Grey Cup Rally where he joked about the fans who questioned him for always going head first and not sliding.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
anyone know how Kenny Ladler is doing?
he looked a bit dinged up last game and I wanted to know if he was healthy for Friday's game. To me, he's the linchpin of the defense.

also, the CFL is horrible for injury updates. do the esks have anyone coming off the injured list soon?
what exactly is the issue with Sean Whyte?

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
anyone know how Kenny Ladler is doing?
he looked a bit dinged up last game and I wanted to know if he was healthy for Friday's game. To me, he's the linchpin of the defense.

also, the CFL is horrible for injury updates. do the esks have anyone coming off the injured list soon?
what exactly is the issue with Sean Whyte?

Seems fine, Global News did a special on him last night.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I can't remember who they are so I'm inviting the two posters who argued with me last season that Bene went from defensive genius to idiot virtually overnight to stand up and be proud. Own it.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
June Jones is the new assistant head coach in Hamilton. He'll be here Friday but not working in that role yet.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
June Jones is the new assistant head coach in Hamilton. He'll be here Friday but not working in that role yet.

Interesting hire, the guy did some amazing things at the University of Hawaii. Lots of NFL experience too. Not sure why he left SMU. Last job was an offensive coordinator for a high school team in Hawaii. I always thought the CFL would have been the perfect league for him. Assuming he's healthy and ambitious, he should be a big help to Hamiltons offence.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Seems fine, Global News did a special on him last night.

I couldn't find anything on injuries online.
google search for injuries to Whyte and all you get are links to when John white got hurt.
shouldn't have to be difficult.
the esks own website doesn't have info on whyte anywhere.

the only guy on the one game list is Da'Quan bowers.

click on any player on the injure dlist and it tells you nothing. would it kill them to state the injury and how long a player is expected to be out?

jogn doe, knee, not expected back before October. anything.

CFL is useless sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->