Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Absolutely gross. Grouches me off that we let Franklin go to the Riders while we hang on to the Nathan Peterman of the CFL.

I haven't had a ton of issues with Brock Sunderland up until now, but this changes that.

Have to agree, this really surprises me. The guy isn't a pro QB. You have to be able to throw a pass more than 20 yards for that. This one is definitely on Sunderland.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
There was a lot of justification for being upset at Maas and the organization.
IIRC he didnt like some of the anti Maas/Eskimo organization posts so he left.

Seems like a rather lame reason but c'est la vie.
Exactly. Nothing wrong with agreeing or disagreeing on certain points, but rather childish to run away when no one else supports your side. Unfortunately it seems some people are still crying about it.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, as predicted, a new defensive backfield.

Out-- Hunter, Orange, Glass, Johnson (the last 2 were good acquisitions last year)

In-- Mincy and Covington at corners.
Washington and Caleb Ham (son of Tracy) at halfback spots.

Brian Walker (best EE rookie last year, I thought) and Hoover are the only familiar names that are returning.

New rule about "3 designated Canadians" should also make a difference (assuming the rule is still coming into effect).

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This is a bad day for Sunderland lol. They need two receivers, still need another defensive back and one more linebacker.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not sure how the Lions ended up with that much cap room. They signed Micah for 200K.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Tuggle is a nice get. I really like Brandon Burks, he was under-utilized in Toronto and could be poised for a breakout.

But aside from that, pretty disappointing. Covington and Washington have anchored the worst secondary in the league the last two years. Losing Johnson and Glass and replacing them with these two is a serious downgrade. How the hell did we let Glass get away? Odd to say the least.

I hope Kilgour is merely veteran camp fodder. You need a reliable backup in this league, and he is not that.

Toronto, BC, and Calgary made gains today. We unfortunately did not IMO.

Reactions: Cloned

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Tuggle is a nice get. I really like Brandon Burks, he was under-utilized in Toronto and could be poised for a breakout.

But aside from that, pretty disappointing. Covington and Washington have anchored the worst secondary in the league the last two years. Losing Johnson and Glass and replacing them with these two is a serious downgrade. How the hell did we let Glass get away? Odd to say the least.

I hope Kilgour is merely veteran camp fodder. You need a reliable backup in this league, and he is not that.

Toronto, BC, and Calgary made gains today. We unfortunately did not IMO.

Re: Covington and Washington...could any of that be attributed to having Corey Chamblin as HC and DC? I still remember how Greg Marshall's and Mike Benevides' defenses completely neutralized the talent that we had at the time.

But yeah, definitely agree that it wasn't the strongest day for FA.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Re: Covington and Washington...could any of that be attributed to having Corey Chamblin as HC and DC? I still remember how Greg Marshall's and Mike Benevides' defenses completely neutralized the talent that we had at the time.

But yeah, definitely agree that it wasn't the strongest day for FA.

Honestly, I don't think much blame can be directed Chamblin's way for Toronto's terrible pass defense last year. That secondary was bad in 2018 under Trestman as well, and my impression of the Argos was that the scheming wasn't all that bad, it was more a case of defenders constantly being half a step behind. Chamblin was a defensive back in the NFL, so in theory you'd think that's one area where he'd have known what he was doing (offense and tactical decision making in general is another story).

That said, Josh Johnson was a relative nobody upon arriving here last year and put in a great season. Hopefully a change of scenery does the same for these guys. If the front seven live up to their billing we can probably get away with the backfield merely treading water, but teams were starting to contain our blitz by the end of last year and if that continues we're in big trouble.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Honestly, I don't think much blame can be directed Chamblin's way for Toronto's terrible pass defense last year. That secondary was bad in 2018 under Trestman as well, and my impression of the Argos was that the scheming wasn't all that bad, it was more a case of defenders constantly being half a step behind. Chamblin was a defensive back in the NFL, so in theory you'd think that's one area where he'd have known what he was doing (offense and tactical decision making in general is another story).

That said, Josh Johnson was a relative nobody upon arriving here last year and put in a great season. Hopefully a change of scenery does the same for these guys. If the front seven live up to their billing we can probably get away with the backfield merely treading water, but teams were starting to contain our blitz by the end of last year and if that continues we're in big trouble.

If teams know you have to rely on d-line pressure because you have a weak defensive backfield, they'll start exchanging receiving options for blocking options in their schemes against you, and just take the chance that their receivers will eventually find open space if they can block long enough.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm also going to say it right now: if we don't add at least 2 impact receivers, we're going to be in for a LONG year. Milanovich can't work wonders if he has no receiving talent, no matter how good his QB is (see his latter years in Toronto).

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Still lots of free agents left on the board including Walker and Roosevelt.

Having said that, the EE have never done too well or had much luck with free agent signings. Most of last year's crop are long gone.

Recruitment is still the best strategy.

Reactions: guymez

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not worried too much about receivers. As bad as we have been in recruiting QB and DB talent, we seem to have a knack for finding quality receivers that have never played in this league before.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And the wheel goes round and round in the defensive backfield. Out with crap and in with more crap.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Still lots of free agents left on the board including Walker and Roosevelt.

Having said that, the EE have never done too well or had much luck with free agent signings. Most of last year's crop are long gone.

Recruitment is still the best strategy.

100 % agreed.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
100 % agreed.

Sure, the hallmark of the EE for 25 years+ was the ability to find and recruit great players who had never played before in the CFL. When that special talent went into decline so did the fortunes of the club. 1 GC in 14 years says it all.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sure, the hallmark of the EE for 25 years+ was the ability to find and recruit great players who had never played before in the CFL. When that special talent went into decline so did the fortunes of the club. 1 GC in 14 years says it all.
Frankie Morris was a gem. As was Hugh Campbell.

Chris Jones, in his short stint here, showed why he had that special talent in finding diamonds in the rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad